National Penn Bank

Updated February 4, 2015
Updated February 4, 2015
2.8

Scott V. Fainor

Decent job to start with.

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at National Penn Bank

Pros

The starting pay was okay and they train you well, so you understand the fundamentals of your job easily. There was also room to move up to higher positions once you put in your years.

Cons

You may feel scrutinized by upper management some times. Since it is a smaller bank, they really keep on top of their employees and it can feel suffocating some times.

A company that wants its workers to fail

I have been working at National Penn Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You receive reasonable compensation, and if you want to keep your achievements to the status quo you can get by reasonably well.

Cons

You will be expected to achieve an overwhelming amount of work, and management will not provide you with adequate tools, resources, nor time to excel at your job. You will feel like a dispensable cog in a machine. You will work in an environment where such things as intra-office marriages and likely favoritism among employees is seemingly celebrated.

The company demonstrates regular poor strategic planning and implementation of policy and procedure from an internal point of view and is held together only by those employees willing to work hard for no appreciation.

Your company needs and overhaul followed by a great deal of fine tuning. You should make an effort to actually utilize those employees willing to go above and beyond the status quo instead of treating them like a liability.

Work Life Balance!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at National Penn Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best places to work if you want work/life balance and time to spend with your family and/or community! Great people, great work culture and very knowledgeable leadership.

Cons

Very compliant - sometimes gets in the way of progress

Talk to your employees!

Typical bank - no vision, a million VP's, all about fee revenues

I worked at National Penn Bank

Pros

Old school HR strategy kept PPO as option in benefit plan. That is about the extent of the Pro's

Cons

Lack of vision, antiquated technology, disjointed leadership, cumbersome red tape.

Start with Scott and work your way down until you find a leader willing to actually establish corporate vision. You can only suck people dry on bank fees and intimidation for so long.

Not a bad company but don;t expect to raise a family or own a home on the salary

I have been working at National Penn Bank

Pros

Ample time off
    Flexible schedule
    Good hours

Cons

VERY LOW PAY!!
    So heavily regulated you have no room to make decisions

My experience was anything but positive. Complete lack of direction from management and lack of career growth.

I have been working at National Penn Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good 401k program
    Decent health care costs

Cons

Extremely low compensation
    No direction from senior management
    Lack of communication
    No sense of value as an employee

Ungrateful Employer

I have been working at National Penn Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, lots of jobs to potentially transfer to once you have your foot in the door and gain experience.

Cons

Unless you managed to make it to upper management by working there the last 20+ years, expect cheap pay, low raises, dealing with terrible old leadership.

Last 4 years have consisted of inconsistencies and lies at the cost of the employees happiness by:
    Wage freezes
    Standard 2% raises since
    Multiple layoffs
    Relocating local jobs to Allentown & Reading in brand new big buildings
    Acquiring a new bank
    Allowing CEO's salary to triple to over a million dollars

Respect your employees. Happy employees work harder and are better employees, we aren't stupid.

One of the best places to work in Pennsylvania? Yeah, right!

I worked at National Penn Bank part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have an outstanding training program for new bank tellers. That's where the pros end.

Cons

Corporate culture is too political and conservative, and the working environment is very hostile. When they get rid of you, they insult you by saying things like, "Banking is not the career for you" or "You will never survive in a company like this one" or anything else that is considered demeaning. They take pride in firing people.

If you are a new hire as a teller, things will be very tough and demanding for you, as I learned when I worked for this company in the short period I was there (I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did - most of the people in my training group were either let go or quit within two weeks). You have to be very proactive in your position, performing transactions correctly and accurately; making sales on each transaction; and other activities where you're stretched to the limit. The company emphasizes sales a LOT, and if you're not making enough sales or referrals during a quarter, you're toast. Managers are major cutthroats.

I'm not going to get started on salary. It's bad when compared to McDonald's.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that they enjoy working at National Penn Bank. It is a terrible place to work. But if you choose to work at National Penn Bank, you better be careful and you better know what to expect when you're there.

Resign, so we can elect new management to better regulate how this company should really be run and treat their employees with dignity and respect.

Very good company, once growth renews

Former Employee - Customer Service in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Doylestown, PA

I worked at National Penn Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Part of National Penn Bank, with tie ins to various financial services
    Insuance is now poised for growth
    Very concerned management

Cons

Part of a "Wall Street Company"
    Insurance has to adhere to overall corp's pay increase limitation

Good luck with your plans!
    While Sales unit has to be improved, don't forget that that Service is what keeps the renewals.

Three years FSR II

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Phila, PA

I have been working at National Penn Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great hours. Great for a mom who doesn't want to take work home with her. If it wasn't for my coworkers and great immediate boss, I would have left a while ago.

Cons

Pay is below average for the same job title and responsibilities. Senior management holds on to employees that have proven inadequate but don't pay employees enough to retain the great ones. Very disappointing.

Pay your employees what they're worth and you won't have such a high turnover. You're paying more to locate and train than to retain quality employees.