National Quality Forum

3.5

CEO

Great Policy Experience

I have been working at National Quality Forum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, friendly, exciting work

Cons

You will have to work overtime a lot

Not for profit with a very specific niche and highly visible in the field

I have been working at National Quality Forum full-time

Pros

Good mission, small organization, small teams, diverse projects and topics, opportunities to develop content knowledge

Cons

mostly government contracting, many changes going on in the organization, hard to move within the organization

Smart staff, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Quality Forum

Pros

Great mission
    Get to work with brilliant people - both co-workers and people in the healthcare industry
    Excellent benefits
    Convenient location downtown

Cons

Inexperienced, unaware, overworked management
    Growing pains as it evolves from small nonprofit to larger entity based on HHS contracts
    Inconsistent, top-down communication

Echo the prior reviewer - really would be beneficial to have hired people at the VP/SVP level who have experience as managers. Also, think about the effects of the top-down, conservative management style and the environment within the office.

Lastly, as the COO once said, "NQF is a contract shop." For better or worse, the future of the organization is now tied heavily to federal government contracts and the strings that come with that. But think about it's worth considering what can be done to make the place a little more Google (creative), and a little less Bain (nose to the grindstone consulting firm).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, good mission, but some growing pains

Current Employee - Project Analyst
    Current Employee - Project Analyst

I have been working at National Quality Forum

Pros

I'm surrounding by very smart people, most of whom are very hard working and committed to the work we do (advancing the use of performance measures to improve healthcare quality and safety).

Cons

The organization has grown rapidly in the past few years, and management is struggling with some growing pains. There is always too much work that needs to be done, and so people tend to burn out or move on after a year or 2. Also, I've found here and other places that being a doctor (MD) does not mean you are a good manager.

Better project/resource planning so employees don't get burned out. Get more "good managers" at the VP and Senior VP level.

Worked for National Quality Forum? Contribute to the Community!