National Renewable Energy Lab

Updated August 28, 2014

3.7

National Renewable Energy Lab Director Dan E. Arvizu
Dan E. Arvizu

Pros
  • Very good place to work, good work life balance, beautiful campus (in 8 reviews)

• Great atmosphere, great people, great life to work balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • In the beginning it was okay, though after progressive changes in senior management, the IS organization turned into a mess (in 4 reviews)

• Working under IS at NREL for over 5 years, I've seen the company through many phases (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well balanced work place with flexible work hours, experienced management and lots of smart people. Opportunities to get exposure to different subject matter and variety of projects.

Cons

Being subject to federal budget uncertainty can be stressful.

NREL is very cool, and the employment conditions were terrific, even for contracted employees

Former Employee - Junior Java Developer  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Junior Java Developer in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The compensation for a freshly graduated, contracted Jr. Java Developer was exactly what I was seeking. The campus is large and a curious mix of high-tech and industrial. The staff is friendly, and we'd often have lunch together at local watering holes (and occasionally after work).

Probably the most interesting perk was the fact that NREL so believes in ergonomic working environments that they bought me a $100 wireless mouse. Sadly, I had to leave it behind, but it was the best damned mouse I've ever used, and nobody batted an eyelash when I requested it. They even have a workspace set up to demonstrate a range of available products.

Cons

The commute was a bit tedious, and the contract was short (they offered an extension, but I ended up moving). That's about it.

Very rewarding if you can find your niche

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very bright colleagues, and access to scientists and cutting edge researchers. Good work-life balance. Very nice campus. Compensation seems to be competitive.

Cons

Takes some entrepreneurial energy to find a niche — some people get lost without good management direction; Management is often very busy and not available for mentorship. A decent amount of bureaucracy (as you would expect.)

Management seems to be very risk averse, and loses out on interesting business development opportunities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Intern

Current Employee - RPP  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - RPP in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab as an intern for more than a year

Pros

NREL is full of hardworking people who are the best at what they do, but still maintains a relaxed atmosphere conducive to balancing a fulfilling full time job and life at home.

Cons

As the lab is funded by tax dollars, there is more bureaucracy than for similar academic and industry jobs.

Pleasant.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Intern in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people with a green outlook.

Cons

A lot of walking (could be a put in the "pros" section depending on your preference).

NREL

Current Employee - Computer  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Computer in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good place to work, good work life balance, beautiful campus. They are going through a lot of growing pains right now

Cons

Renewable energy research is often a political football. The budget can go up or down depending on what party is in power in DC. Lately Sr. Management has done a good job of finding niche research areas for NREL.

Keep up the good work.

Engineering Technician III

Former Employee - Engineering Technician III  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician III in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back, no stress, a lot of freedom

Cons

It is really hard to get things done. No respect for anyone without a PhD. Impossible to move up within company once given a roll.

Good pay, great location, mediocre management

Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at NREL for approximately 5-years. Enjoyed the people I worked with and the flexible schedule. The salary and benefits were very good. Although they seemed to take something away, or make employees pay more each year. The location in the foothills just west of Denver is a plus!

Cons

Management is probably the worst I have ever encountered. They systems are very inefficient, yet management seems that adding another step to a process is an improvement. Most of the managers/supervisors in my group have been with the company for over a decade. They aren't interested in implementing any "real" process improvements as they believe the system they created does not need to be improved upon. I realize NREL is regulated by the government; however, many of the roadblocks have been created or made worse with internal procedures. Favoritism of employees by management was very common. Some managers I found to be condescending and very unreceptive to employee feedback. If not for management I would have rated the company higher. Also, I rate management a "3" only because I do believe senior management is well qualified and is doing a good job managing NREL. However, the middle management from my group gets no more than "2 Stars"!

NREL presents a very nice package when interviewing for the position. However, once hired I found the work to be repetitive and not very challenging. My advise for management is to be honest with the prospective employees when making an offer. And more importantly, a lot of talent has been brought in from the outside. Utilize the talent! People that have worked for NREL for 10+ years most likely are not the right resources with the best ideas for process improvements. Employees coming from the outside are a great resource for making changes that can bring efficiencies to the group. But I believe that's what management is afraid of. They would much rather have someone with a "status quo" attitude.

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Intern in Golden, CO

Pros

Flexible work schedule; Good people; feel-good research; excellent location (where is better than Golden, CO - 20 minutes from downtown Denver, 20 minutes from the nearest ski resort with a small town feel); very smart people.

Cons

Pay is very low for the level of eduation required, by signing on to work in RE it seems one must accept a $20000/yr pay cut minimum; very bureaucratic; approval processes are unclear; gateway to promotions and upper-management is unclear; being managed by the DOE is very odd and puts you at the mercy of politically based decisions made by Congress; most employees come straight from school which creates a weird almost university-like work style; deadlines and cost don't seem to be important to managers.

Make it more clear how promotions are achieved and how to advance within NREL; pay your employees what they deserve; there is an air that its almost impossible to lose ones job and get promoted, which creates a lack of incentives to produce quality work.

Postdoctoral Researcher

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, smart people, very important research to "save the world"

Cons

some government bureaucracy, but not too much.

Worked for National Renewable Energy Lab? Contribute to the Community!