National Renewable Energy Lab

Updated December 10, 2014
3.6

National Renewable Energy Lab Director Dan E. Arvizu
Dan E. Arvizu

Pros
  • Very good work/life balance not found in mainstream industry (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, very positive corporate culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • In the beginning it was okay, though after progressive changes in senior management, the IS organization turned into a mess (in 4 reviews)

• No opportunities, no raises, no bonuses, no direction and no leadership (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Technician I

Current Employee - Technician I
    Current Employee - Technician I

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab as a contractor

Pros

Good experience on one-of-a-kind equipment to perform meaningful and rewarding research and development. There is little resistance in obtaining the proper equipment to get the job done. Very good work/life balance not found in mainstream industry.

Cons

The cohesiveness of management is somewhat in need of improvement.

Great Mission Flawed Organisation

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab

Pros

The company is great overall. They want to help gain energy independence for our country.

Cons

But as with most governmental organizations there are competing goals and process which can be frustrating and counterproductive.
    t is not a meritocracy, nor are the goals clearly understood. Not on the forefront of technology.

Post-Bacc Research Participant Program Intern

Current Employee - Post-Bacc Research Participant Program in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Post-Bacc Research Participant Program in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very comfortable and lenient atmosphere
    Work-life balance is extremely important here
    Sits on the border between academic research and industry applications
    Good compensation and benefits
    Amazing facilities mean you have any equipment you could ever want for whatever research you want to do, including some government-exclusive and very powerful computer programs or databases

Cons

People get lazy when there isn't a huge push for results
    Ridiculously high overhead rate cuts down your research dollars a lot
    Bureaucracy and paperwork requirements can be a major hindrance to getting anything done
    Because of their extreme "safety first" policies, it's more like "safety instead of progress"

Great place to build a resume

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission, Benefits, Campus, Alternative Work Schedules, Telecommuting (unless you work in the Contracts Department), Employee Recognition, Professioanl Training (Internal & External), Intelligent Colleagues, Covered Parking, Ergonomics, Security

Cons

Policies and Procedures are interpreted differently among the varying centers, HR doesn't seem to hold management accountable or listen to employees when they bring management issues to their attention, constant construction and re-routing of walkways, a lot of lifers that are complacent, and are not open to change or new ways of thinking.

Trust your employees

Great research environment

Former Employee - Visiting Scholar in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Visiting Scholar in Boulder, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly and encouraging people

Cons

remote location and difficult terrain

High Quality Research with Fantastical Personnel

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The research work conducted at NREL, with all of the available tools, is fabulous. The working conditions are highly flexible, which is great for experimental research. Coworkers are positive and helpful. The healthcare coverage is excellent. Opportunities to learn about other work going on a NREL is also great, allowing for interdisciplinary work to flourish.

Cons

The lab is, unfortunately, very sensitive to the political climate. The well-being of the lab and it's funding goes up and down every two years, if now more often.

Be conscientious of everyone that makes the lab successful. The director doubling his own salary while the lab was in a general salary and hiring freeze does not help morale.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well balanced work place with flexible work hours, experienced management and lots of smart people. Opportunities to get exposure to different subject matter and variety of projects.

Cons

Being subject to federal budget uncertainty can be stressful.

Disfunctional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment, good benefits, great mission

Cons

Poor leadership, no strategy, no coopertation

Find people that want to lead, and let them

Great work, great people, great pay.

I have been working at National Renewable Energy Lab

Pros

Everything. Hours, Pay, people and work-life balance.

Cons

There are no cons at this job yet

NREL is very cool, and the employment conditions were terrific, even for contracted employees

Former Employee - Junior Java Developer in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Junior Java Developer in Golden, CO

I worked at National Renewable Energy Lab as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation for a freshly graduated, contracted Jr. Java Developer was exactly what I was seeking. The campus is large and a curious mix of high-tech and industrial. The staff is friendly, and we'd often have lunch together at local watering holes (and occasionally after work).

Probably the most interesting perk was the fact that NREL so believes in ergonomic working environments that they bought me a $100 wireless mouse. Sadly, I had to leave it behind, but it was the best damned mouse I've ever used, and nobody batted an eyelash when I requested it. They even have a workspace set up to demonstrate a range of available products.

Cons

The commute was a bit tedious, and the contract was short (they offered an extension, but I ended up moving). That's about it.

National Renewable Energy Lab Photos