National Research Council Canada

www.cnrc.ca

National Research Council Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
National Research Council Canada – “Front Building”

Very helpful.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Boucherville, QC (Canada)

Prosvery friendly and smart coworkers

Conssomewhat anti social at the beginning

moving towards industrial research and commercialization

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsNew opportunities for business-minded scientists and engineers. May be able to connect with startups and companies in the private sector.

ConsStill undergoing a lot of change in management and structure. Labs being reorganized. Money being diverted to IRAP (Industrial Research Assistance Program) and away from lab work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize gaps in innovation system (the 2 valleys of death) and focus on them!

boring

Industrial Technology Advisor (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosgreat releax work enviroment, good pension

Constoo much time wasted, too little work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

bureaucratic, autocratic, hardly any research left

Research Officer (Former Employee)

ProsGood for people who do not expect much, have no interests/career aspirations and can be happy just with reasonable salaries and benefits. Work not too stressful, not too demanding (however on the boring side...)

ConsHorrible management, a lot of corruption, constant changes, unclear and/or unreasonable expectations, employees are not valued as is normal in research organizations, highly educated personnel has no influence on decision making. Lack of integrity at the higher management level; a lot of propaganda

Choose carefully...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsDecent salaries, benefits and pensions
    Still reasonable job stability - if you have a family to support and a mortgage to pay and you are not too ambitious that may be a great place for you...

Cons- Very diverse culture in different portfolios/locations, some still support research others are strongly focused on money making; check that carefully before committing yourself.
    - Poor place for growth and development. You can get some 3-day training courses - OK for technicians, but not at the PhD level. For people with PhD: the organization is sliding down - after few years you may have hard time to get another job - your CV may not look too great...
    - Poor and autocratic management, fear driven work environment (if we do not make more money, they may lay us off). However, f you happen to be good at making money, that may work for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better ways of utilizing highly qualified personnel
    To avoid confusion, remove "Research" from the name if you intend on converting NRC to a contract service organization.

Good people, corporate organization poorly run

Research Officer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSmart people
    Good projects
    Promotions based on experience not job openings

ConsCorporate management poor
    Organization in flux
    Gradual move away from research

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the organizations strength are its people (i.e scientists NOT admin types)

Nice place to work

Web and Database Engineering (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsPretty chill place to work. Nice people, the place itself is very comforting.
    Two cafeteria for lunches.

ConsThe compensation (because it is government) is lower than other tech companies. Not many young employees.

ICT Portfolio

Technical Officer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pension, good people, decent salaries

ConsNo growth as a Technical Officer

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsPeople here are very skilled and inquisitive. They love the scientific method above all.

ConsThere is an impression that management is steering the focus away from science and towards product manufacturing. This has soured the atmosphere somewhat, but I am optimistic that a good balance will be reached.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that opening an anonymous forum for people to discuss their concerns might help alleviate tension. Also, I think there should be a proper website for each researcher describing their work and contributions and list of current employees. This would help people to feel more connected.

a good place to work at

Research Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsA place to do cool, interesting research which helps me to develop my career.
    A friendly working environment.
    good work and life balance
    Good benefit.

ConsRelatively low salary compared to other companies.
    Right now transition period is harsh for employees.
    Lack of communication between senior management and employees.

Worked for National Research Council Canada? Contribute to the Community!