National Rural Utilities Cooperative

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sheldon C. Petersen

Great people and work environment.

Dulles, VA

Pros-The best part about working at CFC is the people. From the employees to the people you meet in the utility cooperative industry, the people I met while working at CFC were both kind and hard working.
    -CFC has a beautiful building. Everything is maintained well and constantly cleaned. I looked forward to going to work in such a great environment. As you wind through the gate, you feel as though you are driving into an exclusive country club.
    -Incredible pension plan
    -Great annual bonus system that has all employees invested in the success of the company
    -Low-stress work environment

Cons-Most of the employees have been at the company a very long time. Typically, I would say this is a positive. This is largely due to the great work environment, large number of vacation days, pension plan, and long-term incentive plan. Once a person has been at the company for five years, there are so many benefits it is hard to walk away from. The reason I list this as a negative is that new employees only get 10 vacation days annually and cannot participate in the long-term incentive plan or pension plan. The 401k match is not very high either.
    -No work from home policy. I had to drive to and from work in some of the nastiest weather DC has ever seen this past winter. This is not a problem for long-tenured employees because they have plenty of days off. I on the other hand, was accruing 10 throughout the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a great company and management is doing a tremendous job in a challenging industry. My only advice would be to attempt to attract and keep young talent by increasing vacation days for new employees phasing them into the long-term incentive plan earlier. As I said, management is strong at this company and I fully anticipate they will continue to make strong improvements.

Management needs to focus on Corporate Improvements which will also benefit the Members

Corporate (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsBeautiful work environment and on site gym.

ConsLong term employees who do not have vision for change or want to make changes, or do not have the skills to move the company forward. Many outdated systems and processes lead to inefficient work products and mistakes. Work-life balance goal is not evident in all groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and be flexible.

Look for a way to trust your employees and allow scheduled work from home days. Most companies now allow this. The Federal Government does this, and it will help attract a higher skilled set of employees. Allow jeans on Friday's unless visitors or Board members are on site. Allow 401K matching at a higher % and sooner, you are not market competitive. Long Term incentive sooner than 3 years or eliminate and put the funds toward 401K matching.
    Revisit each team and ensure staffing is adequate. Invest in technology and either train staff of hire new staff to drive change.

Former Employee

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsDiligent, hardworking colleagues, benefits. New work environment

ConsManagement tends to be removed from non-management staff, very much a pecking order. Typically does not rehire former employees in good standing with the company. Once you leave you are out. Rather snobby on their part makes you not want to return

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, that's why the talent leaves because there is no job growth

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work in Northern Virginia

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits
    Incentive bonuses based on performance of cooperative as a whole, not on individual efforts
    Cooperative environment, not high pressure/performance driven like corporate jobs
    Family friendly
    State of the art office with on-site gym, walking trail, free wifi
    Low turnover - CFC has a large amount of life-time employees

ConsHard to progress vertically due to low turnover
    Pay is industry average (50th Percentile)
    No telecommuting options (although this may be changing)

Advice to Senior ManagementA staffed cafeteria would be a nice addition. Other than that, things are great.

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice people to work for.

ConsNot too many cons about the NRUCFC.

I loved working for CFC

Accounting (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Loved my boss
    Small company and everybody knows each other

ConsNot many advanccement opportunities because people stay for a long time

NRUC is a great place to work, however it is not the right fit for everyone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work-life balance at NRUC is very reasonable. The hours and stress levels at work are to a minimum, and they are one of the few companies that still have a benefit plan that pays 1/2 your wages after you retire.

ConsThe turnover rate of employees at this company are very slow. The chances of advancement are determined if someone dies or gets fired. And both are not likely.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for some flexability and movement throughout the company. If there are issues of a person being in one part of the organization, you will be able to retain their talent just by moving them to a different group.

A great non-profit that really cares about their membership, electric cooperatives.

ProsIf you are in a position where you will have face to face contact with the membership you will love it!

ConsA lot of "old-timers." Very little opportunity for career advancement. They are in need of some new managers that can bring fresh ideas and support those emloyees that have fresh ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees that are promoted to managers should have professional outside training prior to their promotion. Some really don't know how to manage their employees.

Worked for National Rural Utilities Cooperative? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Rural Utilities Cooperative reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Rural Utilities Cooperative CEO Sheldon C. Petersen. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by National Rural Utilities Cooperative employees.