National Rural Utilities Cooperative

Updated July 5, 2014
Updated July 5, 2014
4.0

Sheldon C. Petersen

Great people and work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative full-time

Pros

-The best part about working at CFC is the people. From the employees to the people you meet in the utility cooperative industry, the people I met while working at CFC were both kind and hard working.
    -CFC has a beautiful building. Everything is maintained well and constantly cleaned. I looked forward to going to work in such a great environment. As you wind through the gate, you feel as though you are driving into an exclusive country club.
    -Incredible pension plan
    -Great annual bonus system that has all employees invested in the success of the company
    -Low-stress work environment

Cons

-Most of the employees have been at the company a very long time. Typically, I would say this is a positive. This is largely due to the great work environment, large number of vacation days, pension plan, and long-term incentive plan. Once a person has been at the company for five years, there are so many benefits it is hard to walk away from. The reason I list this as a negative is that new employees only get 10 vacation days annually and cannot participate in the long-term incentive plan or pension plan. The 401k match is not very high either.
    -No work from home policy. I had to drive to and from work in some of the nastiest weather DC has ever seen this past winter. This is not a problem for long-tenured employees because they have plenty of days off. I on the other hand, was accruing 10 throughout the year.

This is a great company and management is doing a tremendous job in a challenging industry. My only advice would be to attempt to attract and keep young talent by increasing vacation days for new employees phasing them into the long-term incentive plan earlier. As I said, management is strong at this company and I fully anticipate they will continue to make strong improvements.

Management needs to focus on Corporate Improvements which will also benefit the Members

Former Employee - Corporate in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Dulles, VA

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful work environment and on site gym.

Cons

Long term employees who do not have vision for change or want to make changes, or do not have the skills to move the company forward. Many outdated systems and processes lead to inefficient work products and mistakes. Work-life balance goal is not evident in all groups.

Listen and be flexible.

Look for a way to trust your employees and allow scheduled work from home days. Most companies now allow this. The Federal Government does this, and it will help attract a higher skilled set of employees. Allow jeans on Friday's unless visitors or Board members are on site. Allow 401K matching at a higher % and sooner, you are not market competitive. Long Term incentive sooner than 3 years or eliminate and put the funds toward 401K matching.
    Revisit each team and ensure staffing is adequate. Invest in technology and either train staff of hire new staff to drive change.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diligent, hardworking colleagues, benefits. New work environment

Cons

Management tends to be removed from non-management staff, very much a pecking order. Typically does not rehire former employees in good standing with the company. Once you leave you are out. Rather snobby on their part makes you not want to return

Promote from within, that's why the talent leaves because there is no job growth

One of the best places to work in Northern Virginia

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at National Rural Utilities Cooperative full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits
    Incentive bonuses based on performance of cooperative as a whole, not on individual efforts
    Cooperative environment, not high pressure/performance driven like corporate jobs
    Family friendly
    State of the art office with on-site gym, walking trail, free wifi
    Low turnover - CFC has a large amount of life-time employees

Cons

Hard to progress vertically due to low turnover
    Pay is industry average (50th Percentile)
    No telecommuting options (although this may be changing)

A staffed cafeteria would be a nice addition. Other than that, things are great.

Analyst

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative full-time

Pros

Very nice people to work for.

Cons

Not too many cons about the NRUCFC.

I loved working for CFC

Former Employee - Accounting in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Loved my boss
    Small company and everybody knows each other

Cons

Not many advanccement opportunities because people stay for a long time

NRUC is a great place to work, however it is not the right fit for everyone.

I worked at National Rural Utilities Cooperative

Pros

The work-life balance at NRUC is very reasonable. The hours and stress levels at work are to a minimum, and they are one of the few companies that still have a benefit plan that pays 1/2 your wages after you retire.

Cons

The turnover rate of employees at this company are very slow. The chances of advancement are determined if someone dies or gets fired. And both are not likely.

Allow for some flexability and movement throughout the company. If there are issues of a person being in one part of the organization, you will be able to retain their talent just by moving them to a different group.

A great non-profit that really cares about their membership, electric cooperatives.

I have been working at National Rural Utilities Cooperative

Pros

If you are in a position where you will have face to face contact with the membership you will love it!

Cons

A lot of "old-timers." Very little opportunity for career advancement. They are in need of some new managers that can bring fresh ideas and support those emloyees that have fresh ideas.

Employees that are promoted to managers should have professional outside training prior to their promotion. Some really don't know how to manage their employees.