National Securities

Mark Goldwasser

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at National Securities as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible and good learning environment

Cons

No compensation for Interns and extra work for home

Give more incentives for unpaid interns

Nice place to be, but u get to learn nothing

I worked at National Securities

Pros

easy working environment, get a chance to study research report

Cons

You would always be over the phone, nothing else

INTERN

I worked at National Securities

Pros

great location and great view in the heart of Wall St.

Cons

Didn't learn anything from this internship.

Ok

I worked at National Securities full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice dedicated staff that are good but don't always stay.

Cons

They don't listen to you. You can talk talk talk and nothing happens. Too much going on that they really need to focus on the future direction of the company.

How about advisory boards recommend changes and putting them in place. Goals for future growth needs to be better defined.

Small pond

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Edison, NJ

I have been working at National Securities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People making large amounts of money all around you.
    Good work ethic.

Cons

No benefits. Lots of work, 12-14 hours a day.
    Mentors can be harsh and a little annoying, with all the yelling and hype.
    Feels like a boiler room.

Add some benefits to your employees.

It was an exciting means of getting into the financial industry.

Former Employee - Stock Broker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in New York, NY

I worked at National Securities full-time

Pros

It consists of a team of great people, who look after you. The potential for making money is huge, and you will get a lot of support.

Cons

It is a sales position, which requires cold calling. If you cannot handle sales/cold calling every day, this business is not for you.

Fantastic internship experience at National Securities Miami.

Current Employee - Financial Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at National Securities as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are very friendly and helpful; I have learnt a lot of knowledge about finance and stock market that I cannot learn in my college. The environment of work is very nice, and makes me feel work at home. Managers are also very nice and easy-going.

Cons

In my point of view, it is a great company to work and you can gain a lot in this company. There is not a cons I found.

Former Trainee

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at National Securities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started in the industry with Merrill ynch in the training program and ended up switching to National. As far as training goes Merrill's program wasnt all that different from nationals in the sense of education. The biggest differance i saw between the 2 was Merrill hurdles were basically designed to make your fail or go after friends and family where as National will actually work with you and management would actually work with you more when you need it. Merrill will help you too as long as you meet the hurdles and dont need the help.

Cons

I wish they paid you more salary but they make up for it by paying your commisions earlier and higher percentage of gross

Keep the communication up with trainees, everyone in my class was very happy and beleived they actually cared when real advisors woul work han in hand.

Enlightening

Current Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL

I have been working at National Securities as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-This was my first internship and I have learnt a lot with this position.
    -The environment and the people there constitute the biggest pro: they are amazing, willing to help and teach, caring and there is a very good atmosphere at work.
    -Opportunities of career: there are extensive opportunities to be formed and evolve within the company.

Cons

-Well, this is Finance and especially Sales so if this is not what you are looking for, you won't like it, otherwise it is great.

Keep up the amazing job you are doing. Good communication and supervision, this is more than coworkers but a family.

Chop Shop. Do not be fooled by the smoke and mirrors. Do not work here unless you have an established book of business.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at National Securities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people who work here. Intelligent, hard-working, capable individuals who are simply content with where they are, or do not realize their ability to work at a better institution. Some may also prefer the more casual, laid-back, unprofessional no-tie atmosphere.

You will learn the art of selling, otherwise known as the art of deception.

Your recruiter will pretend to be your best friend.

Cons

Pyramid Scheme consisting of 3 levels: Portfolio Managers, Account Openers (Licensed brokers), and Cold Callers ("Interns"). Only the portfolio managers make any real money, while the other two levels cold call 60-80 hours a week to either generate new leads or open new accounts for their hiring manager (Of which commissions will be split for the initial trade as well as any trades that may follow). You are promised the opportunity to start your own book of business after opening 20 accounts. However, assuming you've completed this task, it will become clear that due to the lack of training--you are in no position to manage a client's money. Your training is sales-based, you will attain minimal knowledge regarding investments or finance. A monkey can be trained to dial the phone 300-500 times a day and memorize a series of pitches and rebuttals, they should consider recruiting brokers at the Bronx Zoo.

You will be overworked. You will be underpaid ($1,000 base salary a month--far below the industry average). As compensation for this insignificant salary you will be promised the world--including higher commissions rates than other firms. You will be promised a six-figure income after two years. You will be promised a training regimen equal to that of Merrill Lynch. They will pitch you harder than you will ever pitch potential clients. They want to give you this job--if you fail it costs them nothing and at worst you opened a few accounts for your manager.

I highly recommend that you only consider a position at National Securities if you have an existing book of business. If you MUST take this job, use it as a stepping stone to get licensed and gain the necessary experience to transfer elsewhere. You should also be sure to look up your hiring manager on brokercheck.finra.org to make sure that they do not have a history of illegal business practices such as churning client accounts. If they do not care about their clients, they most certainly do not care about you.

DO NOT WORK FOR FREE. THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, NOT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.

How about considering a legitimate business plan that will optimize future growth? For an investment bank that has been around since 1947, it is comical how little progress the company has made in 67 years.

How about actually paying your employees and training them to give sound financial advice, not just fool gullible clients or find clients who like to roll the dice?

How about updating the outdated company website?

How about investing in public advertisements to improve company recognition and help your brokers close the deal? Nobody has ever heard of National Securities.