National Student Clearinghouse

Add Photos

Ricardo D. Torres

Steady decline

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

ProsGood benefits (in theory - they are offered). Free coffee. 25 cent sodas. Free parking. New equipment. Fitness center on site. Deli on first floor. Some employees still care, and work very hard for the success of the company as a whole. Pay is good, depending on what department you are in.

ConsMany benefits only apply if you can actually take them, so they are very unfairly applied. Individuals cause extensive extra work for other employees and are not disciplined. Instead they are praised when on the rare occasion they do something good. The business is so concerned about rapid growth that they do not care that those building that growth have no personal life. There is no channel to escalate concerns as complaints to management are dispensed without cause. Thus far none of these complaints have had legal (i.e. sexual misconduct) or this company's attitude toward confidentiality and actual resolution of the issues could have far heavy consequences. Employees that extend themselves with countless unpaid overtime are simply told that they are "doing their job", and the attitude of those that fail to do this are considered bad apples to be pushed aside. Complaints about the company are viewed as attacks on the holy grail of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI cant believe you sent a Director to this site to spread pro-company propaganda. Try actually listening and fixing issues instead of assuming you know what is best. Long time employees in my view care far more about this company and its reputation than those that came in for a quick paycheck. Many of them worked countless hours here for far less money than they are paid now. Listening to them has educated me a great deal. They actually have some idea about what needs fixing. Having another cheer party does not fix things. Free food is not a fix to not getting a break in a 10+ hour work day. Nor does satisfaction reviews that do not address the root cause of problems here. If you truly want to be a "best place" to work, stop the incessant back patting about what a good job you are doing and listen for once in your lives. There is no "one" senior person (including the CEO/COO) that is to blame for the decline. It has been a consistent slide due to a failure to be reasonable in expectations.

Don't make the same mistake others have made

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice people, good benefits, northern Va location

ConsManagement is purely political and not trustworthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way you wanted to be treated early on in your career.

Management is completely disorganized and inept

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time for more than a year

Prosdecent salary and benefits
not much else

Consunrealistic expectations and work load
poor planning
poor leadership
company direction changes with the wind

Great benefits and room to grow!

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time for more than a year

ProsNSC has a great benefits package, solid management and room to grow a career.

ConsWorking for a not-for-profit means much smaller income for the work completed.

Management needs a wake up call

An Employee Who Interacted With Senior Management Daily (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time for more than a year

Pros- Friendly employees (non-management)
- Small company
- Great product(s) and cause

Cons- Poor senior level management
- Little to no development
- Gossip
- Power hungry COO who will stop at nothing to get what she wants, despite the impact on others
- No HR department that truly cares

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Your company is great in the services it provides to higher education, however senior level managers, particularly the COO, has caused the morale of the company to slide down a never ending hill. You cannot manage employees with an iron fist. You cannot have employees constantly looking over their shoulder in fear of doing something wrong. This company can achieve greatness from an employee standpoint, but as long as certain senior leaders are still there and the CEO turns a blind eye to it, nothing will change. The Board of Directors and CEO should be ashamed of themselves for letting certain leaders in place.

Not a workplace I would recommend to my friends

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse

ProsMatch 10% 401K(100% vested if you stay 4 years)
Education reimburse program
Summer flex time

ConsQuite a few incompetent mid-level managers, specially in IT
Lots of office politics
I've seen several occasions where people were treated terribly by their managers
Not very good work life balance
No real career path

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your most valuable asset. Treat them fairly and with respect.

It has pluses and minuses

ProsBenefits
Employees are so friendly
Lower level managers work very hard
IT Department is staffed with outstanding professionals

ConsSenior managers are not trained to do their jobs
Some managers don't pretend to care about the employees or the company
CEO needs to focus on doing his job and not everyone elses

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't take it

It could have been better

ProsNon-profit organization
Proponents of work-life balance
Summer flex schedules
Awesome annual dinner
Bonuses
Matching 401k
Friendly co-workers
Subsidized sodas (only a quarter!)
Active employee entertainment committee
Tuition reimbursement

ConsPay is lower than private sector
Oligarchical management
No real career path
Unequal promotion opportunities
A lack of training the trainers

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks are nice, but it's better to get at the root of the problems rather than glossing them over with free food.

Good Company, Bad Management

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse

ProsValuable service provider to colleges and universities
Great benefits like 200% matching on 401K
Sometimes get surprise time like Friday afternoon before holiday weekend

ConsExecutives playing politics; too many snide comments and criticisms
CEO refuses to deal with infighting among direct reports
Lots of finger pointing when problems occur

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sniping at each other. Employees see it and spend a lot of time talking about it.

Worst company you can work for

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse

ProsDecent pay (if you are in right department), summer flex (depending on your department and manager, not everyone gets it), cheap soda, 401K seems to be competitive, and you can wear jeans and flip flops

ConsThe COO runs this nonprofit like its her own Fortune 500 company that she built from the ground up. An astonishing amount of managers come from her old company or are old friends. Employees are reluctant to go to HR to resolve issues because they know HR will not keep things confidential. The President is nice but never there, knows little about and doesn't influence the company, and turns his head away from any issue. Communication needs to be improved internally and externally. The IT and Commercial Business Directors made numerous mistakes when "enhancing" the company website that caused numerous customer headaches, delays, and tremendous income loss. They were not reprimanded. But don't lock your computer when you walk to the bathroom and you can be fired. Lower level employees are never recognized for their efforts and will never be promoted. Things never get done here because the decision makers drag their feet and more worried about CYA than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board or whomever the COO and President report to really need to look at the leadership they have in place. All it would take would be an independent survey not administered by HR and the COO and a lot of truth would come out. Morale is at an all time low here. COO has too much freedom to come and go as she pleases, hire friends from her old company as executives, and this has put her out of touch with the business and the employee morale.

Worked for National Student Clearinghouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Student Clearinghouse reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Student Clearinghouse CEO Ricardo D. Torres. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by National Student Clearinghouse employees.