National Student Clearinghouse

Ricardo D. Torres

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful Company

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time

Pros

The CEO makes the satisfaction of his employees a top priority. It is so refreshing to work for a company where they place so much focus on the satisfaction of their staff. They go above and beyond with ice cream socials, company picnics, LL Bean gift cards, recognition programs, etc. to make people feel appreciated. People actually like being at work here! It is such a wonderful work environment with a strong emphasis on work/life balance.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a con.

I don't have any advice for management. I think they're doing a stellar job.

Overall a great education experience

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good environment with friendly inviting people. The internship offers an educational experience that will give a competitive edge to any students going into the workforce. Although the benefits aren't available to interns, it's clear that there are a lot of family-oriented benefits in place to make maintaining the work-life balance easier.

Cons

There are a few people who are visibly unsatisfied with their positions and it's clear that there are not many opportunities for interns to advance or many low level positions available within the company, especially in the IT department.

Make sure all managers have enough interesting and relative work for all of the interns before assigning them an intern. Although there are no qualms with my experience, it was very clear that some of the interns workload was light and a bit dry.

Great company filled with good people working together to bring meaningful changes to important areas of education

Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All levels staff are committed to fulfilling the organization's mission of service to the education community. Management regularly invests in career development and training opportunities for staff. 401k match is probably best in the area, and other benefits are excellent. Casual, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Typical growth pains for an evolving organization (e.g., some technical and staffing challenges), but that's also where opportunity is often found.

Need to continue and improve prioritization against limited resources. It's an ongoing challenge, but definitely not unique to this organization.

Incredible Organization with an Obvious Commitment to its Customers & Staff

Current Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company mission
    Dedication to staff development
    Strong leadership
    Commitment to work-life balance
    Benefits (both health and 401k are fantastic)
    Company core values (Flexible, optimized, efficient, trusted & secure, sustainable, FERPA compliant) are obvious in even the smallest tasks
    HR support is outstanding

This is a commitment driven organization that is dedicated to doing things the right way and doing things better.

Cons

No major cons. Even though the company is fairly small and upward mobility is not always readily available, the leadership team provides plenty of cross-training opportunities and room for lateral development. Leadership recognizes talent and hard work, and the organization as a whole strives to make staff feel valued through various initiatives and events.

Continue to excel in the areas of staff development, work-life balance and appreciating employees. You've made NSC an incredible place to work for and I look forward to all of the exciting possibilities the future has to offer at our organization.

Great culture for a not-for-profit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

The Clearinghouse offers a great working environment and robust benefits. It's a friendly atmosphere that enables employees to network with others by offering many fun employee-focused events like an annual family picnic, annual dinner, and in office events to celebrate cultures and successes. Employees are mission-driven and the services the Clearinghouse offers are meaningful.

Cons

Promotional opportunities don't happen as frequently as they do in large organizations.

Keep shifting the culture towards innovation and excellence!

Employees were not treated with respect by upper management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed assisting schools with issues on reporting status & students with problems on the deferment process of their loans.

Cons

The Human Resource department worked mainly to assist upper management and not the employees. There were limited employment opportunities for advancement within the company.

Management should be more receptive to their employees since they can provide suggestions on how to solve particular issues, and work together as a team in order to make the company grow.

Terrible management

Former Employee - Java Developer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice facilities with a gym
    Some of the people there were nice?
    This 20 word minimum is difficult for the "Pros" section...

Cons

Working as a software developer, the management when I was there (2009) was terrible. They hired me as a Java developer, but I was stuck doing development on their legacy systems. The management didn't really care that I wasn't doing the type of work I wanted to do, and would micromanage everything that I did. I left the company within 6 months.

Laid back environment, but unnecessarily strict.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

casual dress, nice facility, many of the coworkers were friendly and nice, plenty of parking, good benefits

Cons

only had two 5 minute breaks + lunch, was supposed to sit and type in numbers the rest of the day, very little feedback, got in trouble for walking around more than 3x per day

if the workers are doing their job, let them get up from their desks once and a while

Working at NSC was extremely motivating and gratifying due to the executive management's vision and innovation.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is highly organized and has an established client base. Training and overall corporate infrastructure exists, making the workplace a great pleasure.

Cons

IT resources are slightly limited. This is more of a hinderance internally as external IT needs and solutions take a higher priority.

Keep up the great work. The success thus far is a product of the fine executive management skills the "C" levels have.

Great company for entry level position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at National Student Clearinghouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very laid back atmosphere
    good work life balance
    great benefits
    awesome events (frequently)

Cons

turnover rate is high
    hard to move up in the company (but they are actively working on changing that)

keep progressing, you guys are doing a great job