National Technical Systems

National Technical Systems President, CEO, and Director William McGinnis
William McGinnis

Management

I worked at National Technical Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is very interesting

Cons

I don't have any input for this.

Nothing comes to mind.

Software/Hardware QA

Current Employee - Software/Hardware QA Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software/Hardware QA Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Technical Systems as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, New account programmer seems to do better compare to previous persons. It is good to work for a long term contract.

Cons

Never get raise or 10% cut back from previous year. Benefit package is not worth and out of your pocket. No Doctor/or Drug prescription.

Better benefit package an vacations, sicks, and Holiday off.

Senior Test Engineer

I worked at National Technical Systems for more than 3 years

Pros

Their style of management is excellent. They value input from everyone and will implement it company wide

Cons

The benefits package is lacking in some areas compared to other companies. I do think the benefits are acceptable.

Just keep doing what your doing, the good far out weighs the bad.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company!

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Camden, AR
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Camden, AR

I worked at National Technical Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere and people I worked with more than anything. The company valued the employees that put the effort and time into making NTS stand out in the market.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about the company. Only complaint I have is the lack of capital allotted to get updated equipment for the department I managed.

Very poorly managed and no room for advancement.

Former Employee - Test Technician  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Fullerton, CA

I worked at National Technical Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Various testing capabilities and knowledgable people around when needed.

Cons

No raises... And if they are it's very little. No room for advancement.

Need a personnel with more knowledge in how to manage a department.

Larger Company Benefits, Small Company Atmosphere

I have been working at National Technical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many smaller labs throughout the US so the work force at each is fairly small. Ability to contribute in more than one area (not only one job function), small company atmosphere but with a lot of support from other sites. Very flexible.

Cons

I perceive that they want mediocre people who are happy doing their job function. Not easy to move up in the company. Not the best pay for what I do. (about $20K less for my function).

Corporate needs to remember that each site has different needs and functions. Putting policies and procedures in place and forcing every site to conform makes it very difficult and inefficient for some of the sites. When one site has a problem, implementing that corrective action throughout the organization may cause more problems than it solves.

People are easy-going, and helpful (to an extent), but systems/processes to do things desperately need to improve.

I worked at National Technical Systems

Pros

Safe working environment: no office politics/drama, no backstabbing, people were friendly without crossing the professional line.

Cons

No separate area for just employees (breakroom was also open to customers). Management unwilling to implement change to improve processes in the long run because they were more focused on short-term goals of increasing revenue and minimizing losses.

Care more about the people who work here and be concerned about the physical and mental health of your employees, instead of only on making a profit. Offer real perks to help boost employee morale.

Awesome company and people

Former Employee - Test Technician  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Fullerton, CA

I worked at National Technical Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, kind people to work with. Interesting projects. Wide range of clientel. Most of the guys are willing to teach new people, and everybody takes time to talk about the work every day so you don't stay in the dark about work problems.

Cons

Sometimes long hours if the projects come in to close together. Sometimes tools or equipment don't get shared equally because big clients come first, but usually not a very big problem for me.

Maybe a more even workload for everyone would help. Sometimes people can't get shifted to other clientel when there workload is lighter.

Top level ruined a good thing.

I worked at National Technical Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people. If you are fortunate enough to work at a location that does actual work, than you will find some of the hardest working, most innovative and smartest in the industry. Despite the desperate (allegedly unintended) attempts by corporate to destroy the team work environments, these locations manage to maintain close and productive working relationships. Additionally, great customers who are on site and often feel like extended team members.

While large amounts of productivity are accomplished, the environment is that of support and caring. I enjoyed going to work every day, it sucks that people who know nothing ruined this.

When the company was still actually caring about the employees, this was a great place. If you pay attention, you can catch glimpses of the old NTS. The hours are flexible and locally there is recognition for achievement, although corporate requires all locations give the same raise range to its employees despite whether or not the labs are making money. This seems unfair.

The type of work that is done here is cool and cutting edge. They let you mess around in various things, and that is cool for your next job. I liked getting to have a lot of chances to learn new things. everyone in local management was cool. I felt supported by the people who were there to support us like my Program Manager and local HR and quality.

Cons

Corporate has destroyed the morale and values of this company. The top is stocked with egotistic sitting ducks with minimal understanding of business. The culture wavers here so much, you may become seasick. Often the most incapable rise to the top. These are your classic people that are in charge of a lot, but do little. The intellectually challenged often have a lot to prove and refuse to hiring/promote anyone who may point out that they are less that capable.

If you chose to work here, say yes a lot. Do not oppose corporate personnel, just nod and don't complete the work, all they want to hear is yes and that they are amazing and intelligent. They proclaim to care about the people who actually line their pockets (many of the top started at the bottom), but they have shown time after time that they no longer do. There is a lot of lip service and directly contradictory behaviors to follow. Be cautious of the phoniness of leadership, especially those who call themselves Innovative or preach Culture.

Corporate is removed from the day to day and the little people. No one expects them to live the life, but the most insulting part is they believe they are in touch with us. we don't care about another VP, we don't even know what you guys do. We don't care about the commemorative coins or the emails patting yourselves for whatever it is you think you did to improve things. Save a buck and don't layoff another 12.00/hr technician.

Stop messing with the successful locations and successful processes. This company is fraught with issues, and yet you continue to "fix" things that are not broken. Pick a culture and stick with it. If you are going to "cut back" on employees, how about sacrificing one of your own instead of ten from your direct labor pool? Stop promoting people because they have "been here a long time" exclusively. Don't spend thousands on changing a logo (for no apparent reason, and which looks worse) in the middle of canning people to "save money". Or do all of this, but stop spinning to your workforce that you "care" and are "Family". Remember, you employ smart people, they clearly see thru this, give us some credit. They all want to leave you, they just don't want to leave each other. Despite you, these people are loyal to their teams. If Centralization is your goal, how about actually designing the processes before you eliminate the people who actually provide a service? Just saying the word "centralize" is not a process. Again, this is yet another example of the out of touch reality.

All of this is somewhat irrelevant as the management team is locked in and protected regardless of their behaviors and approaches and firmly believe they are superior to Joe Blow on the floor.

NTS is a decent company to work for, mostly for the people.

I worked at National Technical Systems

Pros

The camaraderie amongst the working people at NTS is akin to life in the service. Mostly due to the fact that the majority of personnel there were from the service.

Cons

Inability to initiate and implement necessary change for the better of the company.

Listen to the employees regarding shortcomings and the accompanying prescriptions for remedy.

Worked for National Technical Systems? Contribute to the Community!