National Technical University of Athens

Updated May 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Research Associate

Research Associate (Former Employee) Athens (Greece)

ProsNational Technical University of Athens is one of the best universities in Greece, with good reputation in several scientific areas. Competitive place as well.

Consthe usual problems of bureaucracy that exist in Greece, exist here as well. However, compared to other universities the environment is positive.

No opportunities to progress your career.

ProsNTUA is one of the largests and most prestigious academic institutions in Greece. Compared to other universities in Greece the working conditions are good, however, compared to EU standards I would say they are below average.

ConsThe salaries are dreadful. The (payed) opportunities you have to engage into teaching are simply zero and you can only do it for free (I am not speaking about laboratories which give some nominal remuneration), and this is what most post-docs do.

Related to the previous is also the fact that there are zero prospects for career progression, e.g., even if you have an excellence in your area and you work there for an extended period of time it is still impossible to get a permanent position or even a payed fixed-term lectureship. This is the way things in Greece work anyway.

Another typical Greek thing is that some days of the year (which could be monts sometimes) the university would not be accessible due to student occupation/protesting or permanent staff strikes. Be prepared to work from home, go for an excursion and of course not get payed during that period.

Fair, but could be a lot better

Faculty (Professor) (Current Employee) Athens (Greece)

ProsAcademic environment, fair levels of freedom, respectable job (for faculty jobs only). NTUA faculty is quite respectable and has access to international opportunities.

ConsStill a great big deal of mentality shift is required in order to follow the rest of the evolving world. Humiliatingly low salaries is among the first thing to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire, do not follow. Take advantage of evolution, do not resist it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NTUA ICCS review

Proslearn new things, use your skills

Consnot easy adaptation, not high salaries

Academic research and development in greek universities

Administration and Accounting Emploee (Current Employee) Athens (Greece)

Proscreativity, imagination, good co-operation, energetic participation to the social, scientific and political life of the country, a "living cell" of the modern greek society

Consanother institution being hitten viciously by the economical crisis (whatever this involves)

Advice to Senior Managementgood luck to you and to all of us with the new "troika" rules

Good as a research starting point

ProsGood opportunities for networking in the research community, good working hours making for a good work - life balance

ConsRigid regulations and excessive bureaucracy, discouraging individuality and new ideas, and limited potential for career development for non-academic personnel

Avarege

Research Associate (Current Employee) Athens (Greece)

Prosproximity to residence, good collaboration with collegueas, pay according to working hours

Consno hierarchy structure, unclear job description, lack of staff, awful working environment in the center of Athens (drug addicts, demostrations, unsafe situations), inapproapriiate buildings, lack of space, lack of funds

Advice to Senior Managementcreate structured management...

Good academic level, opportunities to study diverse areas, strong quantitative background

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Athens (Greece)

ProsOldest university, prestigious, a lot of world class scientists, businessmen graduated from NTUA

ConsSuffers from some of the problems of Greek bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to the values of education, perfection and achievements

Very good balance between work and life - poor compensation...

Researcher (Current Employee)

Pros-Interesting job
    -Perfect balance between work and life

Cons-Poor compensation
    -Poor advancement opportunities
    -Fe wlaboratories present

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cooperation needed with Universities in other Countries.

Worked for National Technical University of Athens? Contribute to the Community!