National Transportation Safety Board

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great People, Iffy Management

Investigator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe mission is totally terrific - we get to work on serious issues and events where what we find out often leads to real safety improvements, and the agency is well thought of externally. The staff is generally superb and highly motivated, and people like what they do. Not too many clockwatchers around - it's not that kind of job.

ConsIt's the government, so we're subject to all the current budgetary stupidity affecting everybody else, too. That isn't going to improve until Congress does, so don't hold your breath. Promotions aren't always based on managerial talent - laying low and keeping your nose clean works pretty well, as does avoiding making any controversial decisions. Because it is a small agency largely staffed by technical specialists, there isn't a lot of opportunity to move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementPossession of a good coating of Teflon is not necessarily a managerial benefit. The staff knows who has leadership talent - you might consider soliciting their opinions once in a while before moving someone up to a position where they can really cause problems by avoiding tough decisions and delegating most of their work to somebody else.

Time to clean house - management level.

Investigator (Former Employee)

ProsA chance to make a real difference in transportation safety -working with some very experienced -dedicated people~ all of which are NOT in management

ConsWAY too political. Impossible to really make changes -as management is overly concerned with the political game. Management is - completely - inept and clueless. A very typical government agency with lifers who stay forever -collecting dust and do nothing. And then---there might be a sequester - and all shuts down. Brilliant.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely clean the management house- get rid of the useless political appointees....uh their function is what? Oh ...it's collecting a - big - paycheck. The OPM -is another absurd byzantine hiring process. Hiring is too long/involved/convoluted and Kafkan....nutty. A once excellent agency has become another completely inert -stuck- clueless government organization.

Great Government Experience, got to meet people from various divisions.

STEP Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSolid job, very professional setting, got to meet with the Chairwoman, each member of the Board, CFO, CIO, VP, Judges & lawyers. There are intelligent people here who know what they are doing.
    I worked under the CIO and had to catalog, deploy, and assign electronics. As an intern I acted as the go to guy for blackberry renewals, laptop help tickets, 4G aircards, and other ad hoc work. I worked there for 2 summers and had a great time getting to know the people. As an intern I was getting paid 14.65 before tax. There are a few older workers who know what they are talking about. Getting to know them was a great advantage to making the experience worth it. Talking to them about hte security protocols, safety structures, and more was what I needed to add to my daily drone work.

ConsThere are a fair share of average workers who get by. This can be frustrating at times, but it is the nature of government positions. Some days would drag on for hours on end. If your supervisor does not have work for you to do, then it will drive you crazy. Sitting in a room although you are getting paid is straight torture if you are looking for some sort of intellectual stimulation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a project for the entirety of the summer internship is crucial to making it work while.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The reputation exceed the actuality

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork with egg heads-- interesting work-- intellectually stimulating and the desire to make a difference in safety.

ConsManagement is inert and clueless. No SOP- just figure it out. Way too political. And it's government- get the drift? We're all protecting our tenure and job....let's not rock the boat.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new leaders- dynamic leaders- who are aware and communicate with all departments. Leaders who stand up to the political pressure-- otherwise-this agency will slowly continue to become just another molasses movement government agency.

Worked for National Transportation Safety Board? Contribute to the Community!