National Trust for Historic Preservation

Updated July 31, 2014
3.1

National Trust for Historic Preservation President & CEO Stephanie Meeks
Stephanie Meeks

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Trust provides great benefits!

Cons

National Trust for Historic Preservation is a great place to work!

N/A

It is what you expect a non-profit dedicated to buildings to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are good, and the building is beautiful. The location is great, and being able to stay at historic hotels for a discounted rate is also a nice perk. If you like old buildings and preservation, this is the place for you.

Cons

Salaries are low and raises are few and far between. The culture and the people you work with generally suck, and you're making a difference only to save buildings. Also, no one moves roles ever or gets promoted. They die in their roles here. There is no matching of investments.

Save the children instead.

Depends on your professional goals

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great mission. Decent hours and benefits.

Cons

Underemployment. Lack of professional development.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods
    - Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia
     - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities.
     - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics.
    - Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

Cons

We did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

I think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are very good. Changes at the top have been a positive for the organization on the whole, despite the always reluctance for change. Selling the building has breathed new financial resources for the organization for the future.

Cons

Regular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. In particular, hiring of new staff they may report to, or work with.

Involve lower level staff as a matter of policy and not as an afterthought.

Non profit in search of a purpose

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good location, benefits, friendly staff, worthwhile cause

Cons

Mission is undefined, bloated. Upper management is incompetent and self focused. Organization is so top heavy I'm sure it will topple. CEO is overpaid, as are her minions. Poor communication and disregard for staff. Shameful lack of purpose and no direction.

Eliminate yourselves. The organization would work so much better.

Chalenging financial environment

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and close to the metro.

Cons

Managements is generaly aloof or clueless.

Get a clue about what's going on. Get an IT manager who is not a dofus.

out of touch with reality

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free admission to historic places
    discounted hotel stays
    overall nice people to work with
    nice office building

Cons

employees who have been in the same role for 10+ years and have lack of motivation
    no job growth
    lack of work ethic easy to find
    poor management
    stuck in old ways
    low pay

hire some fresh blood. a logo change is the least of the issues, so bring in some new people with new ideas and get rid of the people who have been in their roles since the beginning of time.

Struggling organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some very dedicated staff. The current headquarters is a lovely historic building and well-situated near public transportation in a dynamic neighborhood.

Cons

Focus on financial woes and internal restructuring has drained all resources to the point where there is no longer a clear mission, other than institutional survival. Funders and other professionals in the field regard the organization as lacking prestige, purpose and efficacy.

Listen to your critics, not just your paid consultants.

Out of touch senior management

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time

Pros

Some incredibly talented and dedicated staff. It's a great starter organization - to get your foot into the historic preservation field.

Cons

Senior management either has no idea how their decisions affect those of us lower down the chain or they don't care. Departments and sites are run with skeleton staffs, yet the workload is increased instead of decreased. People are burning out. Fired employees have been replaced by cheaper new hires with little experience. Sites are getting cosmetic upgrades but the underlying structural problems are not addressed.

Stop wasting money on parties, T-shirts, mugs, pins, etc. and invest in your employees.

Worked for National Trust for Historic Preservation? Contribute to the Community!