National Trust for Historic Preservation

3.2
National Trust for Historic Preservation President & CEO Stephanie Meeks
Stephanie Meeks

1. Solid Employer

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, smart and dedicated colleagues, stellar mission. Current leadership making an effort to break down silos and improve communication.

Cons

Low salaries, lack of opportunities to be promoted, disrespect for employees without a degree in historic preservation. Low staff morale.

Advice to Management

More transparency in the reorganization would be very appreciated. More outreach and inclusiveness of regional offices.

Great place to start a career in the historic preservation field, long haul unlikely, 3 to 5 years and then evaluate?

Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

networking with people nationwide
    good resume line
    maybe travel for projects
    diverse projects possible
    work with other groups possible

Cons

salary slow
    new job unlikely, new projects possible
    leaders vary: Potomac Fever, nonteam player, or great
    Trust identity/future uncertain

Advice to Management

CEO: try to not get Potomac Fever or the imperial presidency syndrome as some Trust CEOs have exhibited. Department leaders: learn to be respectful to other professionals on staff who have lots of experiences that you do not have. Trustees and advisors: your job is not a social climbing notch on your belt, your job is to oversee senior management and help bring in donors who believe in the mission. Some of the perks are good - Historic Hotels, but promotions are rare other than working with other groups and expanding one's experiences. Staff/candidates: staying with the Trust for the long haul is not feasible unless one has a very low personal budget, private income, great personal investments, a partner who makes real money somewhere else, or the expectation of a great inheritance coming to you. The Trust is the place to start or fills in the middle of a career path and then one moves on to somewhere else. Use the networking & learning opportunities; learn to do cold calling; reaching out to others; & don't be shy.

3. It is what you expect a non-profit dedicated to buildings to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good, and the building is beautiful. The location is great, and being able to stay at historic hotels for a discounted rate is also a nice perk. If you like old buildings and preservation, this is the place for you.

Cons

Salaries are low and raises are few and far between. The culture and the people you work with generally suck, and you're making a difference only to save buildings. Also, no one moves roles ever or gets promoted. They die in their roles here. There is no matching of investments.

Advice to Management

Save the children instead.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Trust provides great benefits!

Cons

National Trust for Historic Preservation is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

N/A

I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods
    - Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia
     - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities.
     - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics.
    - Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

Cons

We did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

Advice to Management

I think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

7. Depends on your professional goals

Pros

Great mission. Decent hours and benefits.

Cons

Underemployment. Lack of professional development.

8. Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are very good. Changes at the top have been a positive for the organization on the whole, despite the always reluctance for change. Selling the building has breathed new financial resources for the organization for the future.

Cons

Regular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. In particular, hiring of new staff they may report to, or work with.

Advice to Management

Involve lower level staff as a matter of policy and not as an afterthought.

9. Non profit in search of a purpose

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good location, benefits, friendly staff, worthwhile cause

Cons

Mission is undefined, bloated. Upper management is incompetent and self focused. Organization is so top heavy I'm sure it will topple. CEO is overpaid, as are her minions. Poor communication and disregard for staff. Shameful lack of purpose and no direction.

Advice to Management

Eliminate yourselves. The organization would work so much better.

10. Chalenging financial environment

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people and close to the metro.

Cons

Managements is generaly aloof or clueless.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about what's going on. Get an IT manager who is not a dofus.

11. out of touch with reality

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free admission to historic places
    discounted hotel stays
    overall nice people to work with
    nice office building

Cons

employees who have been in the same role for 10+ years and have lack of motivation
    no job growth
    lack of work ethic easy to find
    poor management
    stuck in old ways
    low pay

Advice to Management

hire some fresh blood. a logo change is the least of the issues, so bring in some new people with new ideas and get rid of the people who have been in their roles since the beginning of time.

National Trust for Historic Preservation Photos