National Trust for Historic Preservation

National Trust for Historic Preservation Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

National Trust for Historic Preservation President & CEO Stephanie Meeks

Stephanie Meeks

Great company to work for!

Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe Trust provides great benefits!

ConsNational Trust for Historic Preservation is a great place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods
    - Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia
     - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities.
     - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics.
    - Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

ConsWe did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Depends on your professional goals

ProsGreat mission. Decent hours and benefits.

ConsUnderemployment. Lack of professional development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are very good. Changes at the top have been a positive for the organization on the whole, despite the always reluctance for change. Selling the building has breathed new financial resources for the organization for the future.

ConsRegular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. In particular, hiring of new staff they may report to, or work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve lower level staff as a matter of policy and not as an afterthought.

Non profit in search of a purpose

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood location, benefits, friendly staff, worthwhile cause

ConsMission is undefined, bloated. Upper management is incompetent and self focused. Organization is so top heavy I'm sure it will topple. CEO is overpaid, as are her minions. Poor communication and disregard for staff. Shameful lack of purpose and no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate yourselves. The organization would work so much better.

Chalenging financial environment

Program Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNice people and close to the metro.

ConsManagements is generaly aloof or clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about what's going on. Get an IT manager who is not a dofus.

out of touch with reality

Program Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosfree admission to historic places
    discounted hotel stays
    overall nice people to work with
    nice office building

Consemployees who have been in the same role for 10+ years and have lack of motivation
    no job growth
    lack of work ethic easy to find
    poor management
    stuck in old ways
    low pay

Advice to Senior Managementhire some fresh blood. a logo change is the least of the issues, so bring in some new people with new ideas and get rid of the people who have been in their roles since the beginning of time.

Out of touch senior management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSome incredibly talented and dedicated staff. It's a great starter organization - to get your foot into the historic preservation field.

ConsSenior management either has no idea how their decisions affect those of us lower down the chain or they don't care. Departments and sites are run with skeleton staffs, yet the workload is increased instead of decreased. People are burning out. Fired employees have been replaced by cheaper new hires with little experience. Sites are getting cosmetic upgrades but the underlying structural problems are not addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money on parties, T-shirts, mugs, pins, etc. and invest in your employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Struggling organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThere are some very dedicated staff. The current headquarters is a lovely historic building and well-situated near public transportation in a dynamic neighborhood.

ConsFocus on financial woes and internal restructuring has drained all resources to the point where there is no longer a clear mission, other than institutional survival. Funders and other professionals in the field regard the organization as lacking prestige, purpose and efficacy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your critics, not just your paid consultants.

A Great Place to Make an Impact

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe mission of the National Trust--saving places that matter to the American people--and the good work that it does across the country is in line with my values.

ConsThis is a challenging time financially for all non-profits right now, but it's not a "con" in regards to the National Trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on course with strategy and plans. The National Trust has an exciting future.

Worked for National Trust for Historic Preservation? Contribute to the Community!