National Trust for Historic Preservation

National Trust for Historic Preservation President & CEO Stephanie Meeks
Stephanie Meeks

1. Making Good Progress

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time

Pros

Young, friendly staff. A real effort to strike a good work-life balance and be proactive in office culture. Mostly smart and engaging colleagues doing excellent, mission-driven work. Breaking the mold on historic preservation and non-profit stereotypes.

Cons

Low pay, some deadwood that needs to be shaken-off. More work than a non-profit of this size can handle. Too much focus on rapid improvement and doing it all at the expense of staff capacity and bandwidth.

Advice to Management

Set realistic priorities and expectations. Help strike a better balance between divisions that have vastly different work-life balances.

2. Good place to work but still needs fixing

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with. Truly dedicated to saving historic structures.

Cons

Low pay (expected). Clubby environment.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees.

Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly talented professional preservationists who are passionate about their work and wanting to make a difference.

Cons

No cost of living increases, only merit increases. So many management systems in place for work planning and budget planning that you spend all your time dealing with those plans and not actually saving places. Planning process, targets or systems are often changed without explanation that it isn't worth learning the current process because it will change before you figure out how to use the current one.

Advice to Management

What worked for The Nature Conservancy may not work for NTHP. There is a reason there is high turnover in some areas of top management of the organization. Pretty big sign that the best change might be to stop changing so often. Make sure the managers you hire know how to manage, if not train them because they need it. Promotion and job experience do not equate to a good manager.

Great place to start a career in the historic preservation field, long haul unlikely, 3 to 5 years and then evaluate?

Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

Pros

networking with people nationwide good resume line maybe travel for projects diverse projects possible work with other groups possible

Cons

salary slow new job unlikely, new projects possible leaders vary: Potomac Fever, nonteam player, or great Trust identity/future uncertain

Advice to Management

CEO: try to not get Potomac Fever or the imperial presidency syndrome as some Trust CEOs have exhibited. Department leaders: learn to be respectful to other professionals on staff who have lots of experiences that you do not have. Trustees and advisors: your job is not a social climbing notch on your belt, your job is to oversee senior management and help bring in donors who believe in the mission. Some of the perks are good - Historic Hotels, but promotions are rare other than working with other groups and expanding one's experiences. Staff/candidates: staying with the Trust for the long haul is not feasible unless one has a very low personal budget, private income, great personal investments, a partner who makes real money somewhere else, or the expectation of a great inheritance coming to you. The Trust is the place to start or fills in the middle of a career path and then one moves on to somewhere else. Use the networking & learning opportunities; learn to do cold calling; reaching out to others; & don't be shy.

6. It is what you expect a non-profit dedicated to buildings to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good, and the building is beautiful. The location is great, and being able to stay at historic hotels for a discounted rate is also a nice perk. If you like old buildings and preservation, this is the place for you.

Cons

Salaries are low and raises are few and far between. The culture and the people you work with generally suck, and you're making a difference only to save buildings. Also, no one moves roles ever or gets promoted. They die in their roles here. There is no matching of investments.

Advice to Management

Save the children instead.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Trust provides great benefits!

Cons

National Trust for Historic Preservation is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

N/A

I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods - Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities. - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics. - Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

Cons

We did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

Advice to Management

I think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

9. Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are very good. Changes at the top have been a positive for the organization on the whole, despite the always reluctance for change. Selling the building has breathed new financial resources for the organization for the future.

Cons

Regular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. In particular, hiring of new staff they may report to, or work with.

Advice to Management

Involve lower level staff as a matter of policy and not as an afterthought.

10. Chalenging financial environment

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and close to the metro.

Cons

Managements is generaly aloof or clueless.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about what's going on. Get an IT manager who is not a dofus.

11. out of touch with reality

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free admission to historic places discounted hotel stays overall nice people to work with nice office building

Cons

employees who have been in the same role for 10+ years and have lack of motivation no job growth lack of work ethic easy to find poor management stuck in old ways low pay

Advice to Management

hire some fresh blood. a logo change is the least of the issues, so bring in some new people with new ideas and get rid of the people who have been in their roles since the beginning of time.

RSS Feed </> Embed