National University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Dr. Michael R. Cunningham

Pros
  • Entry-level career experience, great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great co-workers and tuition benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay compared to other advisor positions out there (in 10 reviews)

• claims to be a "non-profit" but runs like a for profit (in 5 reviews)

1. Adjunct Prof

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at National University (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific colleagues who have real-world experience in the selected fields.

Cons

Pay is not very good.

Advice to Management

You might have greater success at recruiting experienced Adjuncts if you increased the compensation.

2. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The level of professionalism is generally high. The atmosphere at the university is generally positive. I'm with an exceptional team with an exceptional leader as my manager - he makes it very clear that his job is to polish and guide his employees to increased success. He does not manage, he leads and that is a very important distinction.

Cons

The pay is lower than competition but part of that is to retain non-profit status. Ideally wages would increase as minimum wage does but i have not been here long enough to see any effective changes like that.

Advice to Management

For other directors and above, lead rather than manage

3. Innovative university without the bureaucracy

I have been working at National University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like having the ability to make a positive difference on students without the high level of bureaucracy that I have encountered working for other universities.

Cons

The salaries could be higher.

Advice to Management

Establish a stronger on-boarding program for new employees. Keep promoting the nonprofit status. It is an important distinction.

5. Admissions

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with great people who really care about students and co-workers. I have good benefits and can't really complain about the cost. They offer a walking program that I can earn wellness credit to reduce the medical premiums - gotta love that. I have gotten my degree here and plan on getting my graduate degree here - all at no cost to me!

Cons

well, I don't really have any. if i stop liking what I do or the people I work with, I'll be looking for another job - but so far so good!

Advice to Management

I know that focus is on admissions so I heard we might have our money adjusted up,but I have friends in other department that help me out from time to time with student issues that should also have their pay looked at too. otherwise, I think the university is on the right track to keep moving forward!

6. Heading in the right direction

I have been working at National University

Pros

Very supportive managers, most employees work hard and care about our vision, benefits are very good. NU absorbs a lot of the cost for medical and dental benefits. We are very lucky. Management works hard to resolve the issues that have been going on. I have a lot of hope for the future.

Cons

Pay is low, but then again we all chose to be here. More pay might help retain more employees as there is a lot of turnover in registrar and admissions. The new financial aid system doesn't work and many of us get frustrated students daily. Workload is uneven. Some people have small case loads at smaller centers but some have too much work at larger centers. Same thing with managers, they either supervise only a few or supervise way too many.

Advice to Management

I've heard management is starting to listen more about issues. That's a good direction to go. We want to be heard.

National

I worked at National University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good coworkers - Free education - Variety of locations

Cons

- Terrible Management - Lower salaries than competitors

Advice to Management

Give people opportunities and don't allow ego to get in the way of success.

I have been working at National University full-time

Pros

Good benefits Flexible managers Good job stability I have to say that I am very annoyed by the person who keeps writing ridiculous reviews about National University. If you are considering a job with this place just know that most of the negative things people put on here are exaggerated. Let me be clear, National University has its problems like other universities but they are working on them. One of the best places I have ever worked at.

Cons

I would like to see more staff in certain departments but I saw we are having a career fair today with more openings. So that's good.

Advice to Management

Please don't think these negative people who post on here speak for the rest of us. There are tons of staff and faculty who love this place. My only advice is to keep the staff involved and things will continue to improve.

Love the people you work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security Best people to work with Great management Lots of opportunities to move positions within the university Great life/work balance

Cons

Starting pay for every position is way below the standards of any other university public or private but they are working on it. As a trade off, you get a more secure feeling about your job and people who don't center their world around the almighty dollar. The qualify of life you get by working here helps keep people around. Once they scale up the salaries, which is coming very soon, I could see NU being a very attractive place to work for many.

Advice to Management

Don't be too focused on numbers in excel spreadsheets because numbers alone won't speak for the student experience. Listen more and heed the advise of those working on the front lines. Don't be so quick to expand when you don't even have your main bread and butter in place. It seems more like it's a race to make the university bigger rather than better.

Learn all you can and then move on!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good job to get your foot in the door/start your career -flexible with vacation time/hours -excellent staff/co-workers: friendly (of course this depends on which department you work for...but overall great!)

Cons

-not enough room for advancement within the organization -low salary, especially for the cost of living in San Diego -not keeping up with new forms of technological advances/processes

Advice to Management

Management is fully aware of employees' low salaries. There is only so much they can do about this issue.

What a mess.

I have been working at National University full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Facilities are nice. Most employees work hard and have pride in their work. Education benefits are the best reason to work here.

Cons

So many... Management doesn't understand education or business. Chancellor wouldn't know strategy if it hit him in the face. Decisions are made on a whim and changed just as quickly. Cronyism is rampant. Chancellor has surrounded himself with yes-men who protect this emperor with no clothes. Institution has a huge "endowment" yet claims that it can't pay employees a competitive salary since it's "non profit". Students are no longer respected as anything more than revenue.

Advice to Management

You're not listening to advice from employees or fulfilling your promises. Your inability to execute plans, reliance on empty suits to do your bidding, and lack of respect for employees and students make NU a bad place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed