National University

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Kevin B. Casey

Overall pretty satisfying

San Diego, CA

ProsGreat opportunities for growth and development. Tuition waived for full time NU employees. Retirement match. Tuition reduction for dependents and spouse. Great team of people to work with, to include management positions like Directors and ARDs. I really feel like the ground leadership (directors and ARDs) are very supportive, listens to their teams, and understands what admissions advisors are experiencing because they have been in these positions. If it were not for their support I probably would have moved on by now. There is also room for professional advancement and we are encouraged and developed by are ground leadership to move up. Overall I really like where I work!

ConsStaff are underpaid across departments in comparison to other institutions and also, the workloads are pretty hefty. It is hard to pay my bills, especially since CA is a very expensive place to live. But I am getting the best experience and development of any other job I have ever had but please pay us a wage that is equivalent to our workloads.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay staff a wage equivalent to their workload. It is great that leadership is listening to staff by sending surveys and allowing us to contribute feedback through other avenues; please continue to allow us to contribute to conversations, we appreciate it :)

Awful salary/great benefits, lots of advancement opp.

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity for advancement within organization, great benefits, free degree

ConsSalary is dramatically under public schools. Management is paid well, there are lavish holiday parties, but the staff pay is quite sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing the "little people"

Good start for a career in Education

Academic/Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers and tuition benefits.

ConsLow pay compared to other Universities. Advisors must not only service existing students, but will have to maintain monthly enrollment quotas. Advisors at mid to large sized campuses are paid the same as advisors in smaller campuses and at online information centers (National University in your local mall). Advisors in mid to large campuses may have a student load of 250-500 and still have to bring in 15-20 new students per month vs. the smaller campuses that have a student load of less than 100 with enrollment quotas of 8 or less. No matter the size of the campus or the Advisor's workload, we get paid the same. Healthcare coverage raised and salaries are still the same. Disconnect between STAFF employees and Upper Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay advisors with larger student case loads more than the advisors that are basically glorified Walmart Greeters. Clearly define roles of your Advisors. We started off as "Admissions" advisors now we are "Academic" advisors. We wear many hats in this position, but get paid poorly. Your Advisors are the driving force to your success as a University. Remember that!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh... have had worse jobs and better ones

Admissions (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI like most of the people I work with.
    flexible time off depending on manager
    decent pay for an office job
    basic benefits
    we may get raises this year even though sales has been flat out of the "gracious kindness" of the board of trustees
    staff scholarship

Consthe caliber of students is under par. They pretty much admit any one and in turn these are the "customers" that you deal with every day. Many are entitled and think that they pay a lot for school they deserve to be in easy classes. dealing with many complaints from students everyday regarding various different parts of the university.
     It is all run by a "good ol boy" club from San Diego.
    Raised cost of benefits this year and blamed the admissions team that they cannot afford to cover benefits, but spent millions on advertising and hosting the holiday bowl. That we saw no leads and only focused on the San Diego region and then ride other locations to meet numbers.
    Lack of support if you are not in the San Diego region
    claims to be a "non-profit" but runs like a for profit. lots of sales training... wait I am sorry not "sales" training, focusing on "student service".
     focuses on numbers way too much student service falls by the side. not clear communication better departments or stream lining an admission process for each students.
    lots of blame placed on the admissions team.
    Leads seem to not be a valid as they use to be. It almost seems that they are buying peoples' information from those marketing companies that sale consumer info. There have been many calls made where the caller has no idea how we got their information and why we would be calling about school.
    If there are not valid leads then how are we suppose to make the "numbers".
    Marketing department focuses only on the San Diego region other regions are out on their own.
    Changes that are now being implemented. We need to keep logs on calls and appointments. reading from scripts for new student calls- seems to be going into more of a sales mode.
     unclear expectations/changes every day.
    Be prepared to not be an advisor, but a sales person. At least I can take these skills and maybe sale used cars in the future.
    management training is a joke.
    locations out of state are closing and making people uneasy if other locations are going to close in the future. feels like they are trying to find where to cut people and what locations based on productivity.
    software system is outdated, but a new one may be on the way
    lack of job growth outside of San Diego.
    employee morale is falling everyday.
    When you say where you work people already assume you are a sales person and work for "one of those schools".
    Other departments in San Diego not responding or long turn around time of requests for things.
    Reputation is not good with people. not held in prestige even with community colleges. There is no student culture or something for students to hold on to. Like other schools people are proud to be a bruin or something.
    Over priced for our students
    low pay compared to other advisor positions out there.
    may get a 1.7% -ish raise this year- WAL-MART employees get larger raises a year for good merit!!!
    high turn over-managements does not even get mad when you move on because they know it is for the better. \
    Yes, we should be grateful we have a job and even got a raise, but you add more work and raise benefits and want employees to be happy. Most will not even see the raise and make less then last year because the cost of benefits. When you see the wasted money all over the place (like the holiday bowl) that is not helping to grow the business and the cost of one thing can be used to pay for all of the rise in benefits, it is sickening.
    I feel like it is a PR gimmick to make the company look better than it is because they can say they gave their employees raises even though sales has been down. It makes the company look better of financially then it is. We used to get these articles about how the company is doing and assets.. haven't seen that this year? hmm...
     I wonder what the chancellor/president makes? yes that is right the Chancellor and President are the same person... like seriously??

Not a bad place to start or try to get some education paid for, but do not plan to stay long after. It will suck your soul dry and leave you with no hope for humanity based on the caliber of students that are being turned out of here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a great lack of student and employee culture. There should be more criteria for admitting students and who we accept. This would help with the amount of drop outs and out standing balances. There are not many serious students. Students pick this university not because of its reputation, but because it is many times the last chance at college. Please invest in your staff and some perks mean a lot to employees.

Admissions + Academic Advisor

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, great medical benefits, and 100% tuition coverage for Undergraduate Degrees with a substantial discount for a Graduate Degree.

ConsPays way below comparable positions at other organizations. Heavy workload with a disconnect between Administration, Academics, and local campus/centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your Advisors and listen to their suggestions. Advisors are the face of the University from the application process to graduation.

Good comapny to gain experience and benifits

Los Angeles, CA

ProsWill hire with no previous advising expereince, Promotes from the inside, co-workers pleasent, supervisors kind and understanding, 100% tuition reinbersement, great medical benefits, paid winter break.

ConsHigh turnover, disfunctional upper upper management, VERY low pay.

Advice to Senior Managementpay raises if you want to keep enployees around. Poor communication through out depatments.

Ripped off

ProsWhen Dr. Lee was Chancellor, life was great

ConsThank you to to the NU System Administration for DOUBLING out of pocket health insurance costs, starting July 1, 2014, of the employee per pay check and attempting to place blame for the increase on the "decrease in admissions over the last two years". It truly was a perfect touch when you sent the announcement of the health insurance increase AFTER the deadline of Obama Care had already past, so your employees really have no other option.

Not only did you increase what WE - THE INSIGNIFICANT EMPLOYEES WHO WORK TO PAY YOUR RIDICULOUS SALARIES- pay for health insurance, you sneakily decreased what you will contribute per each paycheck by exactly half. Apparently, a multi-million dollar contact with the San Diego Padres (3 year minimum contact) is more important to you than the your employees' livelihood.

Good Company to start

San Diego, CA

Prosgood learning environment good people

Consextremely low pay for the job

Entry-Level Job in Higher Ed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Good place to gain experience in higher education
    -Some positions allow for flexibility and the ability to develop diverse skills
    -Many friendly employees and supportive managers
    -Solid benefits including tuition waivers if you want to complete a degree
    -Not as sales driven as a for-profit institution

Cons-Low pay compared to many other universities and lack of promotional opportunities
    -Offices in the malls conform to difficult schedules
    -Frequent reminders of enrollment goals and numbers
    -Employees at larger campuses seem more likely to be promoted
    -Inadequate training in some job functions such as business outreach

Advice to Senior Management-Reward employees who are committed to the university and expand promotional opportunities for them.
    -Increase base salaries to attract and retain more talented employees.
    -Place more value on student satisfaction/retention, rather than focusing on enrollment goals.
    -Train employees better in outreach and other job functions.
    -Make an effort to improve hours for employees working in the malls.

Great Place to Begin a Professional Career

ProsEntry-level career experience, great benefits. Most staff are friendly, caring, and supportive. Wonderful team environment & concern about building cohesive company culture.

ConsPolitics (upper management), no room for growth, increasingly sales focused, do not pay admissions advisors what they are worth. Advisors wear many hats: recruiting & outreach, admissions, academic advising, and retention. Can be an overwhelming and exhausting balancing act. Overworked and underpaid? Revolving door of admissions staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your "front-line" admissions staff what they are worth. Spread job responsibilities out among staff where possible to alleviate student servicing stress.

Worked for National University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National University CEO Kevin B. Casey. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by National University employees.