National University Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.5

Dr. Michael R. Cunningham

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity for advancement within organization, great benefits, free degree (in 8 reviews)

• Great co-workers and tuition benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to many other universities and lack of promotional opportunities (in 8 reviews)

• claims to be a "non-profit" but runs like a for profit (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Low Pay, Great Benefits; Better Than Competition

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment (Los Angeles location); advancement is easy the longer you stay. Since turnover is frequent, the longer you stay, the more you learn and the better you'll do. Having worked for two other schools of this type (Trident University and ITT Technical Institute), I can honestly say this is the best of the bunch. While they also stress enrolling students, it's not the only function of the job, and they do not force a "Glengarry Glen Ross" sales culture on you. Degrees are also regionally accredited, so you can enroll students in good conscience. Their health plan is Cadillac - you will never have to worry about your health if you choose their PPO, and starting work later in the day is a blessing.

Cons

WAY overworked and underpaid; leadership is nuts in Los Angeles. Think they know more than they do, form opinions and stick to them - if they like you, it takes a lot for them not to; if they don't, nothing you do will change their mind, and the basis for that is pretty arbitrary.

Judge people based on their merits / performance and loyalty, not your personal opinion of their appearance or anything else.

Need to pay bills? Don't work here

I worked at National University

Pros

Supportive and friendly coworkers. Tuition discount. As an admissions advisor, you gain experience with recruiting, enrolling, advising, and outreach. So there is a lot of variety which makes it more interesting.

Cons

Horrible pay. Don't let the private non profit status fool you. This school is all about enrolling, enrolling, enrolling. Its about getting the student to complete the application. And from there on out... Well hopefully they end up taking classes which half of them don't. My advice... Work for a for profit university because you will get paid more. Also promotions, well that all depends if you are liked by the AVP.

Respect your employees more. That way they will want to stick around for longer than a year. High turnover only hinders the ability for NU to be a successful school.

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There is an emphasis on the quality of education and the lead faculty cares about its students. They really want students to succeed.

The hours are easy if your only responsibility is teaching.

Great access to a community of other professors and interesting people.

Cons

The internal process and controls can be cumbersome.

The adjunct pay is miniscule.

Pay is not a reason to teach at NU.

Increased pay might encourage greater involvement by those who are accomplished in their fields.

No job growth

I have been working at National University

Pros

-The coworkers are fun.

Cons

-Managers seem to just think about themselves.

HIGH TURN OVER! MONTH TO MONTH CONTRACT. POOR MANAGEMENT

Former Employee - Lecturer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in San Diego, CA

I worked at National University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Most students appreciate the effort their teachers give.

Cons

High turnover, month to month contracts without any benefits, management doesn't care about the teachers, passing students is a necessity whether or not they complete their work, work 60 hours a week and get paid for 20.

Have your teachers' backs. Your degree program is a joke!

Wonderful campuses and people, but not enough room for growth

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, most faculty care about the students, one-class-per-month format to help graduate faster; great benefits (full-time employees receive two weeks paid time off in December for the holidays!).

Cons

No room for career growth. Too much micromanaging for the ridiculously low wages earned. Not a lot of community/team-building opportunities.

Pay your advisors more!!!

Very high turnover. Need I say more.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at National University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helpful coworkers. Tuition discount for those who want to get a bachelors or masters degree. health benefits. Good working environment.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Its very insulting. There is a very high turnover of admissions advisors because of the low pay and no room to advance . The only thing that matters to the school is getting somebody to enroll. There is a lot of pressure to enroll and you will be expected to call leads EVERYDAY. So expect to be a telemarketer/ bug a boo or whatever you want to call it. Don't let the fact that the school is non profit fool you. You will also deal with many uneducated and lazy students because that's what the University attracts because they accept just about anyone.My advice. Save yourself the headache and look elsewhere. This isn't a place for a career. Its a job until you find something that pays what your worth.Let's just say you' d be making more working at McDonalds in Seattle since Seattle increased their minimum wage to $15.00 an hour than working as an admissions advisor at NU.

To pay better. However, they realize the pay us low and continue to do nothing about it.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor/Slave of Many Hats in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor/Slave of Many Hats in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome (most of them)
    Benefits are good (ever so slightly...um despite the recent increase)
    Grab your degree quick - 3 classes are paid every year.. so you would have to hold out for a couple of years - but they will pay for it.

Cons

I considered selling a major organ just to make ends meet (Pay is ridiculously and cripplingly low)
    Zero flexibility with scheduling time off
    Recent direction makes us glorified call center operators
    Benefits could be better, if they paid for them instead of employees paying for their own
    We hide behind the non-profit guise
    Poor entry level training
    No opportunity for advancement - unless you suck up to certain people

You need to seriously pay advisors a competitive salary and quick! We have a dangerously high turn over advisor rate because you rather keep weak advisors that suck up at a low pay rate instead of competitively paying those that work hard and have great enrollment and retention percentages for the school. Advisors are at the front line of this school and is the driving force - that bring in the money. You would think that you would know this fact and pay them the way they should be paid.

Overall pretty satisfying

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for growth and development. Tuition waived for full time NU employees. Retirement match. Tuition reduction for dependents and spouse. Great team of people to work with, to include management positions like Directors and ARDs. I really feel like the ground leadership (directors and ARDs) are very supportive, listens to their teams, and understands what admissions advisors are experiencing because they have been in these positions. If it were not for their support I probably would have moved on by now. There is also room for professional advancement and we are encouraged and developed by are ground leadership to move up. Overall I really like where I work!

Cons

Staff are underpaid across departments in comparison to other institutions and also, the workloads are pretty hefty. It is hard to pay my bills, especially since CA is a very expensive place to live. But I am getting the best experience and development of any other job I have ever had but please pay us a wage that is equivalent to our workloads.

Pay staff a wage equivalent to their workload. It is great that leadership is listening to staff by sending surveys and allowing us to contribute feedback through other avenues; please continue to allow us to contribute to conversations, we appreciate it :)

Great "starter" job, but not a career.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition scholarship for FT staff. Health benefits are great (but premium increases are passed along to employees). Great place for recent college grad to get experience. No real fear of being laid off, adds to sense of job security.

Cons

There is no getting around it; the pay is embarrassing. Most take this job for the benefits of the "staff scholarship", but if you are a full-time student, your tuition is taxed, making those small paychecks even more disappointing. The tuition makes the low pay bearable, but once you earn that master's, it's time to move on to a more respectable career. There are also no opportunities for advancement unless you are good at brown nosing. Politics play a huge role in advancement.

If you would like to recruit and retain quality employees, be competitive with your starting pay. Cost of living increases are necessary and should not take the place of merit/promotional increases. The reputation of a university starts with the people running it.

National University Photos