National University Reviews

Overall pretty satisfying

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities for growth and development. Tuition waived for full time NU employees. Retirement match. Tuition reduction for dependents and spouse. Great team of people to work with, to include management positions like Directors and ARDs. I really feel like the ground leadership (directors and ARDs) are very supportive, listens to their teams, and understands what admissions advisors are experiencing because they have been in these positions. If it were not for their support I probably would have moved on by now. There is also room for professional advancement and we are encouraged and developed by are ground leadership to move up. Overall I really like where I work!

Cons

Staff are underpaid across departments in comparison to other institutions and also, the workloads are pretty hefty. It is hard to pay my bills, especially since CA is a very expensive place to live. But I am getting the best experience and development of any other job I have ever had but please pay us a wage that is equivalent to our workloads.

Pay staff a wage equivalent to their workload. It is great that leadership is listening to staff by sending surveys and allowing us to contribute feedback through other avenues; please continue to allow us to contribute to conversations, we appreciate it :)

Wonderful campuses and people, but not enough room for growth

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, most faculty care about the students, one-class-per-month format to help graduate faster; great benefits (full-time employees receive two weeks paid time off in December for the holidays!).

Cons

No room for career growth. Too much micromanaging for the ridiculously low wages earned. Not a lot of community/team-building opportunities.

Pay your advisors more!!!

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor/Slave of Many Hats  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor/Slave of Many Hats in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are awesome (most of them)
    Benefits are good (ever so slightly...um despite the recent increase)
    Grab your degree quick - 3 classes are paid every year.. so you would have to hold out for a couple of years - but they will pay for it.

Cons

I considered selling a major organ just to make ends meet (Pay is ridiculously and cripplingly low)
    Zero flexibility with scheduling time off
    Recent direction makes us glorified call center operators
    Benefits could be better, if they paid for them instead of employees paying for their own
    We hide behind the non-profit guise
    Poor entry level training
    No opportunity for advancement - unless you suck up to certain people

You need to seriously pay advisors a competitive salary and quick! We have a dangerously high turn over advisor rate because you rather keep weak advisors that suck up at a low pay rate instead of competitively paying those that work hard and have great enrollment and retention percentages for the school. Advisors are at the front line of this school and is the driving force - that bring in the money. You would think that you would know this fact and pay them the way they should be paid.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great "starter" job, but not a career.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor II  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition scholarship for FT staff. Health benefits are great (but premium increases are passed along to employees). Great place for recent college grad to get experience. No real fear of being laid off, adds to sense of job security.

Cons

There is no getting around it; the pay is embarrassing. Most take this job for the benefits of the "staff scholarship", but if you are a full-time student, your tuition is taxed, making those small paychecks even more disappointing. The tuition makes the low pay bearable, but once you earn that master's, it's time to move on to a more respectable career. There are also no opportunities for advancement unless you are good at brown nosing. Politics play a huge role in advancement.

If you would like to recruit and retain quality employees, be competitive with your starting pay. Cost of living increases are necessary and should not take the place of merit/promotional increases. The reputation of a university starts with the people running it.

Good start for a career in Education

Current Employee - Academic/Admissions Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic/Admissions Advisor

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers and tuition benefits.

Cons

Low pay compared to other Universities. Advisors must not only service existing students, but will have to maintain monthly enrollment quotas. Advisors at mid to large sized campuses are paid the same as advisors in smaller campuses and at online information centers (National University in your local mall). Advisors in mid to large campuses may have a student load of 250-500 and still have to bring in 15-20 new students per month vs. the smaller campuses that have a student load of less than 100 with enrollment quotas of 8 or less. No matter the size of the campus or the Advisor's workload, we get paid the same. Healthcare coverage raised and salaries are still the same. Disconnect between STAFF employees and Upper Management.

Pay advisors with larger student case loads more than the advisors that are basically glorified Walmart Greeters. Clearly define roles of your Advisors. We started off as "Admissions" advisors now we are "Academic" advisors. We wear many hats in this position, but get paid poorly. Your Advisors are the driving force to your success as a University. Remember that!

Awful salary/great benefits, lots of advancement opp.

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor

I have been working at National University full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement within organization, great benefits, free degree

Cons

Salary is dramatically under public schools. Management is paid well, there are lavish holiday parties, but the staff pay is quite sad.

Start valuing the "little people"

Meh... have had worse jobs and better ones

Current Employee - Admissions  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions in San Diego, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like most of the people I work with.
    flexible time off depending on manager
    decent pay for an office job
    basic benefits
    we may get raises this year even though sales has been flat out of the "gracious kindness" of the board of trustees
    staff scholarship

Cons

the caliber of students is under par. They pretty much admit any one and in turn these are the "customers" that you deal with every day. Many are entitled and think that they pay a lot for school they deserve to be in easy classes. dealing with many complaints from students everyday regarding various different parts of the university.
     It is all run by a "good ol boy" club from San Diego.
    Raised cost of benefits this year and blamed the admissions team that they cannot afford to cover benefits, but spent millions on advertising and hosting the holiday bowl. That we saw no leads and only focused on the San Diego region and then ride other locations to meet numbers.
    Lack of support if you are not in the San Diego region
    claims to be a "non-profit" but runs like a for profit. lots of sales training... wait I am sorry not "sales" training, focusing on "student service".
     focuses on numbers way too much student service falls by the side. not clear communication better departments or stream lining an admission process for each students.
    lots of blame placed on the admissions team.
    Leads seem to not be a valid as they use to be. It almost seems that they are buying peoples' information from those marketing companies that sale consumer info. There have been many calls made where the caller has no idea how we got their information and why we would be calling about school.
    If there are not valid leads then how are we suppose to make the "numbers".
    Marketing department focuses only on the San Diego region other regions are out on their own.
    Changes that are now being implemented. We need to keep logs on calls and appointments. reading from scripts for new student calls- seems to be going into more of a sales mode.
     unclear expectations/changes every day.
    Be prepared to not be an advisor, but a sales person. At least I can take these skills and maybe sale used cars in the future.
    management training is a joke.
    locations out of state are closing and making people uneasy if other locations are going to close in the future. feels like they are trying to find where to cut people and what locations based on productivity.
    software system is outdated, but a new one may be on the way
    lack of job growth outside of San Diego.
    employee morale is falling everyday.
    When you say where you work people already assume you are a sales person and work for "one of those schools".
    Other departments in San Diego not responding or long turn around time of requests for things.
    Reputation is not good with people. not held in prestige even with community colleges. There is no student culture or something for students to hold on to. Like other schools people are proud to be a bruin or something.
    Over priced for our students
    low pay compared to other advisor positions out there.
    may get a 1.7% -ish raise this year- WAL-MART employees get larger raises a year for good merit!!!
    high turn over-managements does not even get mad when you move on because they know it is for the better. \
    Yes, we should be grateful we have a job and even got a raise, but you add more work and raise benefits and want employees to be happy. Most will not even see the raise and make less then last year because the cost of benefits. When you see the wasted money all over the place (like the holiday bowl) that is not helping to grow the business and the cost of one thing can be used to pay for all of the rise in benefits, it is sickening.
    I feel like it is a PR gimmick to make the company look better than it is because they can say they gave their employees raises even though sales has been down. It makes the company look better of financially then it is. We used to get these articles about how the company is doing and assets.. haven't seen that this year? hmm...
     I wonder what the chancellor/president makes? yes that is right the Chancellor and President are the same person... like seriously??

Not a bad place to start or try to get some education paid for, but do not plan to stay long after. It will suck your soul dry and leave you with no hope for humanity based on the caliber of students that are being turned out of here.

There is a great lack of student and employee culture. There should be more criteria for admitting students and who we accept. This would help with the amount of drop outs and out standing balances. There are not many serious students. Students pick this university not because of its reputation, but because it is many times the last chance at college. Please invest in your staff and some perks mean a lot to employees.

Admissions + Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great medical benefits, and 100% tuition coverage for Undergraduate Degrees with a substantial discount for a Graduate Degree.

Cons

Pays way below comparable positions at other organizations. Heavy workload with a disconnect between Administration, Academics, and local campus/centers.

Take care of your Advisors and listen to their suggestions. Advisors are the face of the University from the application process to graduation.

Good comapny to gain experience and benifits

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Will hire with no previous advising expereince, Promotes from the inside, co-workers pleasent, supervisors kind and understanding, 100% tuition reinbersement, great medical benefits, paid winter break.

Cons

High turnover, disfunctional upper upper management, VERY low pay.

pay raises if you want to keep enployees around. Poor communication through out depatments.

Ripped off

I have been working at National University

Pros

When Dr. Lee was Chancellor, life was great

Cons

Thank you to to the NU System Administration for DOUBLING out of pocket health insurance costs, starting July 1, 2014, of the employee per pay check and attempting to place blame for the increase on the "decrease in admissions over the last two years". It truly was a perfect touch when you sent the announcement of the health insurance increase AFTER the deadline of Obama Care had already past, so your employees really have no other option.

Not only did you increase what WE - THE INSIGNIFICANT EMPLOYEES WHO WORK TO PAY YOUR RIDICULOUS SALARIES- pay for health insurance, you sneakily decreased what you will contribute per each paycheck by exactly half. Apparently, a multi-million dollar contact with the San Diego Padres (3 year minimum contact) is more important to you than the your employees' livelihood.

Worked for National University? Contribute to the Community!