National Urban League
www.nul.org New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

National Urban League Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2014
National Urban League – Wichita – “Urban League of Kansas”

Marc H. Morial

Educational

Various Programs (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Urban League full-time for more than a year

ProsI loved working with the community to help make a better life.

ConsEmployees are more worried about helping themselves then helping the community

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are all created EQUAL - and that we should treat each employee by their expertise instead of what race we are from

between 2009 and 2013 this company had severe leadership issue creating a toxic work environment that continues today

Program Director (Current Employee)
Wichita, KS

I have been working at National Urban League full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe staff are motivated to assist clients

Consleadership is poor and financial position makes it difficult to work

The experience in the Quad County Urban League was very helpful.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Aurora, IL

I have been working at National Urban League as an intern for less than a year

ProsHelps with many opportunities to find work. If you cooperate with the requirements for registering, payment, etc, they will give you an very great start.

ConsTheir are times were there is not much going on for interns and then there is a sudden rush when people come in for paychecks. It can throw you off sometimes.

PRODUCTIVELY INTERESTING

TRAINEE (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ

I have been working at National Urban League part-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe attempts to work and support personnel with limited resources

Consobtaining the required programs support towards efforts needing real assistant

Advice to Senior ManagementTHE NEED TO RESEARCH THOSE AREAS OF LIVING CONCERNS THAT KEEP THE TRAINING MORE SUPPORTIVE

Being a case manager

Case Manager (Former Employee)
Aurora, IL

I worked at National Urban League full-time

ProsQCUL can give you experience in working with youth, understanding career development, and learning program management (budgeting, building partnerships, etc.)

ConsLeadership needs to change ways. There is little value for professional development. I never was supported for wanting to attend a conference, for example, and had to hide the fact I taking courses. I think its because they don't keep staff members very long. Three years or so, and you're usually out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management can add value. Pay attention to programs so that crises don't occur. The culture is a bit too stifling. Encourage innovation and understand that risk sometimes mean failure.

Great organization that has a great mission. Very supportive working environment, just like a family!

I have been working at National Urban League

ProsThe ability to help those in need and the flexibility to get things done the way you think is best

ConsBecause it is a non profit organization salaries and job stability are very dependent on the amount of funding available from year to year

Under qualified staff trying to work above their experience level.

I worked at National Urban League part-time for less than a year

ProsCivil rights organization that tries to help underprivileged clients to get ahead in the world.

ConsDoesn't refer clients to appropriate services. Many have mental health issues that are not being treated which impact their ability to function.

Terrible company to work for.

Orlando, FL

I worked at National Urban League full-time for less than a year

ProsSupposedly strong history of helping African Americans reach economic equality

ConsExtremely high rate of turnover because they treat their employees like dirt. their housing dept is in shambles and they have a supervisor that doesn't know the programs. Very poor organization. They are an embarrassment to the parent company in NY.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO.

The Las Vegas Urban League does good work for the community

I worked at National Urban League

ProsThe Las Vegas Urban League does good work in the community to help the underserved. If you want to make a difference in the lives of people in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas then the Las Vegas Urban League is a good place to work.

ConsThe Las Vegas Urban League has unneeded bureaucracy. The benefits are not that great and the pay is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more and better benefits to employees.

Hard working true believers who want to make a difference in the community

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at National Urban League full-time

ProsThe leadership and staff all want the same thing, which is to positively impact the lives of all those who come through the door seeking help. It is a family and team environment, and some of the people who are working there were once clients themselves. The Urban League will try to help those who are trying to help themselves.

ConsThe hours are long and the stress is high. In some instances many of the supplies and services are donated by the staff themselves from what little they have. There are so many fires to put out and everyone is pulled in different directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize. Recognize that the people you assign something else to are already over-committed with the work you gave them earlier.

Worked for National Urban League? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Urban League reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Urban League CEO Marc H. Morial. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by National Urban League employees.