National Urban League

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
2.7

Marc H. Morial

Important non-profit with typical non-profit challenges.

I worked at National Urban League

Pros

You will be directly addressing some of the most important issues around race and poverty in Madison. If you aren't successful it will have a direct community impact - the work matters.

Cons

ULGM has a history of inconsistency and poor management decisions. It is also way too dependent on grants. That means it has a tough time changing its program mix to address the most pressing community needs today. Finally, most salaries are in the bottom quartile compared to like sized organizations in the community. A lot these issues are driven by funding. Have not hired the strongest managers as CEOs.

Easier said than done - but diversify your funding, next time you hire a CEO the board should look for talent with management and desire to work through systems instead of personalities.

Poor organization, Knowledge, and Treatment. Focus on the students!

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Aurora, IL

I worked at National Urban League full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with students that need support and patience. Able to develop relationships that promote students to earn credits and prepare to transition back to their homeschools.

Cons

Mistreatment and lack of support for staff, inconsistent expectations and implementation of policies, understaffing, poor compensation.

Urban League of San Diego

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at National Urban League as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, there were about two people in the entire office that I enjoyed working with. The rest were very unprofessional. My pay rate was what I had asked when hired on.

Cons

Where to start...this chapter of the Urban League in San Diego is supposedly undergoing a restructuring but if this is what it has been restructured to, I'm afraid to see what's going to happen in the future. I was hired on temporary to assist in the office with one of their largest events of the year and it was a complete disorganized mess. There is a huge amount of miscommunication on all ends and professionalism in this environment is nonexistent. I can't make phone calls to clients without hearing someone screaming or sometimes cursing down the hall or people coming into the President's office and socializing loudly with the door open. It's rude and inconsiderate to those trying to finish task. I have worked for many other nonprofit organizations and have never dealt with a group who didn't care about their brand or collective image. The staff and managment clearly need training on how to effectively run a nonprofit. A few people in the office were also under qualified for the job in my opinion. But in my short time here (since it was a contracted job) I learned a lot about what to not do in this field I'm pursuing.

Start zeroing in on the local chapters because based on my experience and the experiences that others have shared on Glassdoor, they're giving the national name a bad rep in our communities.

Many ups and many downs, but still gained a lot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at National Urban League full-time

Pros

Great impact. Great Friends. Overall, the people who work there have wonderful intentions and huge hearts. There really is an air of empowerment and those who were served can sense it. Camaraderie is strongest among direct service and non-managerial staff.

Cons

The workplace culture that is established, feed and driven by management is -- in a word -- horrible. If you're aware of the news stories that have circulated in the African American community about the leadership challenges being faced my HBCUs right now, then you can imagine the issues staff are experiencing. Enough said.

The turnover you all are experiencing should never be passed off as a consequence of general trends in the nonprofit sectors. No. The workplace culture really is just that horrible. I can't even begin to list recommendations. Hire a consulting firm. This is not something that can be fixed internally without assistance and intervention.

Fair

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at National Urban League full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Great people and good culture

Cons

-no clear path for advancement
    -women and men are paid differently

-Don't lose valuable talent
    -Treat everyone the same across the board

between 2009 and 2013 this company had severe leadership issue creating a toxic work environment that continues today

Current Employee - Program Director in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Program Director in Wichita, KS

I have been working at National Urban League full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the staff are motivated to assist clients

Cons

leadership is poor and financial position makes it difficult to work

Educational

Former Employee - Various Programs in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Various Programs in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Urban League full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the community to help make a better life.

Cons

Employees are more worried about helping themselves then helping the community

We are all created EQUAL - and that we should treat each employee by their expertise instead of what race we are from

The experience in the Quad County Urban League was very helpful.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aurora, IL

I have been working at National Urban League as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Helps with many opportunities to find work. If you cooperate with the requirements for registering, payment, etc, they will give you an very great start.

Cons

Their are times were there is not much going on for interns and then there is a sudden rush when people come in for paychecks. It can throw you off sometimes.

PRODUCTIVELY INTERESTING

Current Employee - Trainee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Trainee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at National Urban League part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the attempts to work and support personnel with limited resources

Cons

obtaining the required programs support towards efforts needing real assistant

THE NEED TO RESEARCH THOSE AREAS OF LIVING CONCERNS THAT KEEP THE TRAINING MORE SUPPORTIVE

Being a case manager

Former Employee - Case Manager in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Aurora, IL

I worked at National Urban League full-time

Pros

QCUL can give you experience in working with youth, understanding career development, and learning program management (budgeting, building partnerships, etc.)

Cons

Leadership needs to change ways. There is little value for professional development. I never was supported for wanting to attend a conference, for example, and had to hide the fact I taking courses. I think its because they don't keep staff members very long. Three years or so, and you're usually out.

Good management can add value. Pay attention to programs so that crises don't occur. The culture is a bit too stifling. Encourage innovation and understand that risk sometimes mean failure.

National Urban League Photos