National Vision

Updated January 13, 2015
2.3

National Vision President and CEO L. Reade Fahs
L. Reade Fahs

Pros
  • Good benefits, free and discounted eyewear for associates friends and family (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility in when I wanted to take vacation time and was able to take weekends off (Saturdays) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They deserve it but get overlooked or ignored by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is not the best, and while I work 32-40 hours per week I am not full time (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad Management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at National Vision

Pros

The interview process was easy

Cons

bad management
    long hours
    no room to grow

Should care more about employees

Terrible

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at National Vision

Pros

Good benifits work overtime you dont want

Cons

Long hours very little pay. Detailed worked. To many head people and no workers.

Train more people. More people different areas .

Below average experience

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at National Vision

Pros

Store closed on Sunday. Training and development. Senior leaders are focused, have a clear vision and communicate priorities and progress weekly. Retail support team. Easy to communicate with labs. Growing company. Payroll budgets are consistent from week to week.

Cons

Minimal work-life balance. As a store manager, expect to work a minimum of 55 hours a week, and more during the first quarter. Pay raises are very low, even with a high overall score. High turn-over. Inefficient store point of sale systems. Very task, report and audit driven company.

Continue to invest in technology. Continue weekly updates to field teams.

glass ceiling

I have been working at National Vision

Pros

the hours are not too bad

Cons

4 years I've got maybe a 50 cent raise

overlooked when short staffed do other people's job. instead of promoting they choose to hire outside help with no experience.

Worked with company for couple of years

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free and discounted eyewear for associates friends and family. Love working with our stores crew they are great.

Cons

Raises if one is given are a huge joke people working at fast food get same or better raises just for showing up lol. You can be responsible for weather your store is a million dollar store or not by selling over a quarter million dollars and receive a raise less than .50 cents. Upper management above store level just looks at store numbers and cares not how economy is effecting buisiness or the multiple competitors that show up two and three at a time each year. There is little or no chance of advancement without giving your life to the company because at $0.50 raise it will take u 20 years to get close to what your worth.

Work on retention make note of changes in community that might be causing low sales not the managers fault! We do everything but bring customers in at gunpoint. Try to look outside of home office. Hold labs accountable for mistakes we see ten to fifteen lab errors a week unacceptable.

Not a gold star employer.

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

working at the manufacturing facility: lax dress code, on-site gym, friendly coworkers. Building and equipment are very modern, and the jobs are all extremely automated, so you really only have to "work" in a very small number of jobs... most of the time you are just making sure machines run smoothly and areas are clean.

Cons

Working at the manufacturing facility: low pay, management treats employees like they are children, lack of communication between management and departments, poor managing staff= more work for regular employees. Time clock policies are EXTREMELY firm... so don't be 1 second late on the time clock or risk a write-up and/or termination.

Treat employees like adults, not kindergartners. Get involved with employees rather than being aloof and condescending.

Good Company

Current Employee - Optometric Tech
    Current Employee - Optometric Tech

I have been working at National Vision part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at America's Best and the environment and culture was great. Everyone if friendly and striving to meet the same goals. It was a good place to work.

Cons

The pay isn't great and raises are given in increments of ten cents.

Organize training better and pay better.

Upper management all about keeping their jobs.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers who really care about the customer and try to do their best for them and at the same time make money for the company.

Cons

Working with the public is hard enough but upper management constantly berates and gives you evaluations on what you are not doing right. CEO is out of touch with management practices of COO and VP's. Its like good cop bad cop between these two. You can not rush patients through and give them quality exams at the same time.

Decide what you want the company to be and be consistent. Be positive from a sales standpoint sometimes and realize that your employees are trying to do their best. Large increases are not possible every year.

"Take it or Leave it Mentality"

I have been working at National Vision

Pros

I love the people I work with. Also we have great clientele. The customers are like Family.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about the associates on The Floor Level. Doesn't matter how Good you are.

If a mistake in commission is made by Management, the employees (at the front) shouldn't have to suffer by having pay deducted. We are the Face of The Brand.. We create the relationships. Moral took a Big Hit company wide today as a result of this pay deduction.

Willing to help improve you and make a better future

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at National Vision full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great upper management

Cons

Retail Hours are tough some times as hours are monday through saturday 9am to 7pm