National Vision

Updated October 8, 2014
2.4

National Vision President and CEO L. Reade Fahs
L. Reade Fahs

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, is thriving, and has some great people working for it (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility in when I wanted to take vacation time and was able to take weekends off (Saturdays) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They deserve it but get overlooked or ignored by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is not the best, and while I work 32-40 hours per week I am not full time (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Current Employee - Optometric Tech
    Current Employee - Optometric Tech

I have been working at National Vision part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at America's Best and the environment and culture was great. Everyone if friendly and striving to meet the same goals. It was a good place to work.

Cons

The pay isn't great and raises are given in increments of ten cents.

Organize training better and pay better.

Worked with company for couple of years

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free and discounted eyewear for associates friends and family. Love working with our stores crew they are great.

Cons

Raises if one is given are a huge joke people working at fast food get same or better raises just for showing up lol. You can be responsible for weather your store is a million dollar store or not by selling over a quarter million dollars and receive a raise less than .50 cents. Upper management above store level just looks at store numbers and cares not how economy is effecting buisiness or the multiple competitors that show up two and three at a time each year. There is little or no chance of advancement without giving your life to the company because at $0.50 raise it will take u 20 years to get close to what your worth.

Work on retention make note of changes in community that might be causing low sales not the managers fault! We do everything but bring customers in at gunpoint. Try to look outside of home office. Hold labs accountable for mistakes we see ten to fifteen lab errors a week unacceptable.

Not a gold star employer.

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

working at the manufacturing facility: lax dress code, on-site gym, friendly coworkers. Building and equipment are very modern, and the jobs are all extremely automated, so you really only have to "work" in a very small number of jobs... most of the time you are just making sure machines run smoothly and areas are clean.

Cons

Working at the manufacturing facility: low pay, management treats employees like they are children, lack of communication between management and departments, poor managing staff= more work for regular employees. Time clock policies are EXTREMELY firm... so don't be 1 second late on the time clock or risk a write-up and/or termination.

Treat employees like adults, not kindergartners. Get involved with employees rather than being aloof and condescending.

Upper management all about keeping their jobs.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers who really care about the customer and try to do their best for them and at the same time make money for the company.

Cons

Working with the public is hard enough but upper management constantly berates and gives you evaluations on what you are not doing right. CEO is out of touch with management practices of COO and VP's. Its like good cop bad cop between these two. You can not rush patients through and give them quality exams at the same time.

Decide what you want the company to be and be consistent. Be positive from a sales standpoint sometimes and realize that your employees are trying to do their best. Large increases are not possible every year.

"Take it or Leave it Mentality"

I have been working at National Vision

Pros

I love the people I work with. Also we have great clientele. The customers are like Family.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about the associates on The Floor Level. Doesn't matter how Good you are.

If a mistake in commission is made by Management, the employees (at the front) shouldn't have to suffer by having pay deducted. We are the Face of The Brand.. We create the relationships. Moral took a Big Hit company wide today as a result of this pay deduction.

Willing to help improve you and make a better future

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at National Vision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great upper management

Cons

Retail Hours are tough some times as hours are monday through saturday 9am to 7pm

Have to make budget!

Current Employee - Optician/Sales in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Optician/Sales in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at National Vision part-time (less than an year)

Pros

%50 discounts and that's pretty much it.

Cons

This place would not hire people for full time but expected you to work close to 40 hours a week. We weren't allowed to talk about our pay rate. They have a high turn around cause the hired non licensed/certified opticians. They rarely verified glasses to make sure they were made correctly and the DM mostly made us focus on sales and the daily goal than the quality of our products and service.

Hire people who are passionate and that actually when to college to be apart of the ophthalmic field.

Developmental

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent leadership, CEO was diligent in keeping employees aligned.

Cons

un-predictable future with state of leases

None

Very interesting!!

I worked at National Vision

Pros

The experience along the way and the many friends you shared the memory with.

Cons

Poor management!! They make you feel unappreciated and never good enough.

Do a better job at management support

When They Want You Gone You're Gone

Former Employee - Optician/Sales
    Former Employee - Optician/Sales

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, people were nice to work with, Gained experience in the optical field, gained insurance billing skills as well.

Cons

Busted my butt and was always willing to come in early and stay late because we were short handed but I never got recognition for it. Stepped up and trained the entire staff on the new computer system and stepped into a semi-management roll when the business called for it but never got compensated for that as well. I made one small mistake and they quoted something from a book and I was gone that day. Too bad they lost their best person.

Look at the real problems within an office before making rash judgements