National Vision

Updated November 12, 2014
2.3

National Vision President and CEO L. Reade Fahs
L. Reade Fahs

Pros
  • Good benefits, free and discounted eyewear for associates friends and family (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility in when I wanted to take vacation time and was able to take weekends off (Saturdays) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They deserve it but get overlooked or ignored by upper management (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is not the best, and while I work 32-40 hours per week I am not full time (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

When They Want You Gone You're Gone

Former Employee - Optician/Sales
    Former Employee - Optician/Sales

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, people were nice to work with, Gained experience in the optical field, gained insurance billing skills as well.

Cons

Busted my butt and was always willing to come in early and stay late because we were short handed but I never got recognition for it. Stepped up and trained the entire staff on the new computer system and stepped into a semi-management roll when the business called for it but never got compensated for that as well. I made one small mistake and they quoted something from a book and I was gone that day. Too bad they lost their best person.

Look at the real problems within an office before making rash judgements

Very poorly run

Former Employee - Optician/Sales in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Optician/Sales in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at National Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing was getting a free pair of glasses once a year.

Cons

Poor management, unfair labor practices, no appreciation of anyone or what they do BUT if you dont sell certain products so managers can get their bonuses every month you will be told about it. Raises yearly raises range from .05 cents to .50 cents if you are lucky. On top of the $9.00 an hour. Don't walk in there for a job.... RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Learn to appreciate and reward the people whi pay your fat paychecks. .. the lowly sales associates who put up with the abuse and htefulness of the managers. .. not the customers ... the managers!!

Rewarding experience but too many hours.

Current Employee - Optician Store Manager
    Current Employee - Optician Store Manager

I have been working at National Vision full-time

Pros

Good training, company values sometimes conflicted but benefits are good.

Cons

Too micro managed and no adjustment in goals when in challenging circumstances.

Adjust goals when circumstances are unusual like when the doctor is out on vacation or leave.

It's all about National Vision and not about their employees

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will hire someone with zero experience and teach them a lot about optics. The definitely encourage you to become ABO and NCLE Certified and promote within. They will send you to Georgia to have extensive training and to help you coach your team to be more effective.

Cons

Very Sales Oriented business. You have a daily sales and units (eyeglasses) goal that must be achieved and or exceeded. On top of your budgets, there are several indicators that you much achieve and exceed daily. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action against you.
    They have a no fault absentee policy. If you miss work, regardless if you have a dr's note or not, it's an occurrence and they will write you up for it.
    A salaried manager is not a salaried manager. Typically when one is a salaried manager, they can work 10 hours or 100 hours and get paid the same. At National Vision, if you work 100 hours, you get paid for 40 hours, if you work 32 hours, and you don't have PTO or vacation, you get paid for 32 hours. Everything is to benefit them. As a manager, you are also required to work 45 hours per week min. This must be worked as 9 hour days.
    The Vision Centers inside Walmart does not have a break room There is no refrigerator, no microwave, no break room. You can either use Walmart's breakroom, or go out and buy lunch every day.
    You are only as good as you were yesterday. If you were producing amazing numbers in your store, and then start to have poor numbers, you will be written up. Again, this company is very numbers driven.
    When you go to Georgia for training, you will be working from 8am - 1am. You will not sleep, and again, are only being paid for your salary and not a penny more.
    When traveling, driving or flying on a Sunday is not considered extra time, because you are salary, you still get paid the same.
    Salaried Managers only get 1 Saturday off a month and are required to Close 2 nights a week. You can never take the last Saturday of the month off.
    This company is not a family friendly company.
    You rarely get two days off in a row.
    When first hired as a Salaried Manager, I was to work 40 hours a week. Beginning January 1, 2014, all Salaried Managers are required to work 45 hour weeks, which in turn was a $2.00 per hour pay cut.
    You have to make your schedules a month at a time and submit them to your District Manager for approval.
    There's a lot of micro management.

People need family time. They need to have 2 days off to decompress and have some sense of normalcy. Working your employees 45 hours a week or more for the same pay is insane. Although it benefits NVI to have Salaried Managers, since you deduct money from our salaries if we don't have PTO or Vacation time, it would be more beneficial to your managers to work hourly. At least then, they would be compensated for the time they dedicate to your establishment. Corporate Walmart Vision Centers pays their Managers hourly and travel time on top of mileage. NVI only compensates for Mileage and everything else is free labor when you are a Salaried Manager for NVI.
    When you have a manager who is #1 in the District and they tell you they are leaving because they need a better work schedule, work with them! Don't just let them leave because you cannot or will not make an accommodation for them! They are making your store $$$$$$ Protect them!

My experience has been mainly a positive one with this company.

Current Employee - Optometrist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Optometrist in New York, NY

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I received a fair starting salary, and have received raises every year I have been there. Management is very approachable especially at meetings. Senior management such as the CEO is available for questions.

Cons

I think the emphasis on money and not on patient care is over emphasized. I realize all businesses have to have a metric to judge how well things are going, but the budget keeps rising each year and I honestly think they are maxing out that number. That is, business is flat, to negative each month and so the blame game starts. It filters from the Area manager to the district manager to the store manager. If upper management thinks we have some secret pipeline to our patients wallets, they are mistaken. With the rise of the internet for glasses and contacts we are being severely tested.

My commission is usually just out of reach, especially this year--4 months in and no bonus. They need to make it fairer. I know we are not supposed to compare, but in the 5 or so years I've been here I make bonus maybe 1/3 of the time. I hear other employees making it most months.

Try not to make us like Lenscrafters were there is a culture of blame.

Above average OD compensation with high volume patient load

Current Employee - Optometrist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Optometrists are salaried employees. Benefit packages include vacation, PTO, 401(k), stable paycheck, healthcare benefits, continuing education; competing companies rarely offer these . A good stable career if you can handle the pace at busier stores. Compensation is usually higher than the competition but patient volume may account for that (see "Cons"). Each district has an "Area OD" who is available for mentoring and administrative purposes (work schedule). Pre-testing and ancillary testing is done via optometric technicians. Most staff members are cross-trained in reception, pre-testing and sales. A good chance to build your own "practice" if you stay long term in one location. Mostly primary care and refractive cases; ODs may see a lot of pathology if patients do not visit a PCP regularly. CEO and Regional Vice Presidents are very approachable. Great relationships via networking with the other optometrists in the company.

Cons

Busy season can be challenging with increased patient volumes. Hard to achieve "sales goals" which include exam goal count. A good percentage of patients may not speak English so being bilingual is a plus. Management and OD may clash over certain issues (each store location has a different story). High turnover rate for upper management (district managers). Some district managers and general managers are not very OD-friendly. Very tight payroll for the staff so some locations feel understaffed and staff routinely complain of being underpaid. Once a staff member is fully trained and becomes really good at their position, usually he/she is usually lured away to another company with higher pay. 60 day notice is required for an OD to leave the company.

Partner with your OD and work together for a successful and profitable relationship. Consider increasing pay for hourly associates especially the ones who assist the doctors.

A good company to work for but..............

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has good benefits, is thriving, and has some great people working for it. The company is growing which is great in this economy.

Cons

The company is growing, but staff in some departments at home office are not and have not been increased to accomodate the growth. There are people in those departments who never get "caught up" in their workload while others have no or little stress and go home on time every day. Others work extended hours every day and still don't get ahead. There are a lot of people with tenor in the company who have not been rewarded or promoted even though they work hard and are very loyal to the company. They deserve it but get overlooked or ignored by upper management. On the other hand, they hire in new people with big titles and more money.

Listen to your employees, hire more people for those departments at the RSC that need it, promote from within and reward your employees to keep them. Be appreciative of the loyal employees you already have.

Learning Experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Union, NJ

I have been working at National Vision part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting Customers and Helping them

Cons

Working for a GM that only cares about her bonus and not the customers or the employees.

Cheap and unappreciative of hard-working employees

Former Employee - Unlicensed Optician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Unlicensed Optician in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at National Vision part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for students and part-timers. Walmart allows for quick shopping during lunch or after a shift. Most of the time working with other people so not overwhelmed if a lot of customers come in at once.

Cons

Underpaid workers and no appreciation for hard workers. Those who do not work are not reprimanded and make their own schedules, including the manager. Manager calls out employees who are 1-2 min late when manager is late at least 30 min-1hr everyday causing upset customers because store is never opened on time. In addition the manager comes in half the time smelling like alcohol. Unrealistic stretched budgets and units goals which are not reachable. If you don't meet your goals you never get commission (btw it's usually 1% commission). Moral is always low among workers because the company will have you work full-time hours or even overtime but still consider you part-time (ie no benefits,low pay, no PTO).

Pay your employees more and if they're working full-time hours they need to be given that status along with benefits and PTO. Listen to the employees when they make formal complaints about managers who are not performing their duties and correct they behavior or replace them. ESPECIALLY when complaints come from associates, floater associates, AND customers.

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Optician/Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Optician/Sales in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at National Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a lot of great employees

Cons

It really sucks that you can never really make it anywhere in the company if you are hired as a sales associate because they hire people with no optical experience for manager positions. No real incentive to try hard and management does nothing but make you want to quit. Pay is not worth the stress.

Start giving people a chance to progress in the company instead of hiring new people with no experience then stress about how you do not have enough payroll hours to pay employees.