National Wildlife Federation

Add Photos

Larry J. Schweiger

Awesome

I worked at National Wildlife Federation

ProsBest place in world to work

ConsI can't think of any cons

Great experience

I worked at National Wildlife Federation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMission driven organization to inspire American's to protect wildlife for our future children. Smart, fun and engaging people who are passionate about their work and who want to make a difference. Good education programs connecting people with nature.

ConsToo many silos, lack of transparency and communication among departments. Lack of leadership, long term planning and accountability. Need to build up operating reserve as have been dependent on accessing endowment funds to meet organizational needs. Cash flow stress has forced them to make expensive short-term decisions with little or no analysis resulting in limited resources to continue delivering on important and impactful conservation programs. Staff overworked and undervalued, little to no recognition of their hard excellent work. HR department is practically invisible.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up senior management, cut loose the long time employees who have no vision, who have not been accountable and who are not contributing to the mission. Address the cash flow problem, develop good project management and know the difference between resource loading and resource leveling, use this knowledge to better understand the budgeting process, grant and program development and implementation. Support staff through a regular review process and invest in staff with feedback to help in increasing morale.

Strong mission but weak senior leadership

Mid-level Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Wildlife Federation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsContributing to protection of the environment. Relaxed work environment (at least in my former office group). Good work relationships with immediate colleagues in my work group.

ConsI was a mid-level manager at NWF for several years and thereby experienced many changes (good and bad) both in my immediate work group and organizationally. In recent times, a few rounds of layoffs occurred due to financial difficulties which I believe could have been avoided had the impending struggles been dealt with at a much earlier time.

One common thread with NWF and perhaps with some nonprofits in general is a lack of accountability and responsibility for things happening--or not happening as the case may be. I have witnessed time and time again at NWF a lack of mentoring and benchmarks set down for a subordinate employee to meet, and ultimately that person flounders. Along with this is a lack of repercussions to the supervising manager (which are necessary if this person is to properly learn to be a solid supervisor and leader). It's "status quo" and nothing is learned on either side. I directly witnessed this at all levels of management.

I don't believe real change can occur at this point with this organization until a real and significant leadership change occurs. The direction of this organization, its longevity and its health cannot be measured until a time where this has happened. Many people, good people, have left the organization who weren't affected by all of the layoffs. This is indicative of the struggle and pains this organization is going through now.

The goals are solid but the leadership and management as it has been, is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementA regime change is needed with new senior leadership and new ideas.

Not-so-valuable experience

I worked at National Wildlife Federation as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Name is recognizable. It's not a bad idea to get it on your resume.
-At the NAC, departments work collegiately. Your application file can get passed on to another dept for consideration if you make a better fit there. Mine was.
-People are passionate about fighting the good fight.

Cons-People are not very good at what they're doing.
-Intern assignments are boring. Supervisors don't do their own work enough.
-Promotion opportunities are very limited. Seriously don't count on them. I wisely exited for a full-time position at another environmental organization early.
-Operations management isn't people-friendly at all. Mismanagement happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo cheap labor.

Great experience

I worked at National Wildlife Federation as an intern

ProsPassionate Team, Hard Work Ethic, Smart Co-workers, Great trainings for Interns, great network, fun atmosphere, Environmental Wonks Dream

ConsStaff is hard to contact for interns, extreme pressure,

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice

Great place, full of passionate people.

I worked at National Wildlife Federation full-time

ProsWork on things you believe in, flexibility to lead your own work. Well respected in the NGO community.

ConsLimited opportunities for career advancement, uncertainty around funding future position.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training employeers

Major problems with some top managers

I have been working at National Wildlife Federation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFamily friendly.
Fairly good benefits.
Good work envrionment.

ConsSome top managers are absolutely not competent or qualified to do strategic planning, budgeting or even to properly manage staff.
There are major disconnects between departments.
Various organizational efforts work against each other.
Mixed messaging from managers on decisions and priorities.
No professional development opportunities. No mentoring.
No real system in place to reward performance.
Staff efforts are in all directions with no clear goal in mind, and this results in lots of wasted resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore integration and collaboration.
More transparency and frequent, clear communication to staff on what the organizational priorities are.
Reward performance, not likeability.

Good mission, poor management decisions

Reston, VA

I worked at National Wildlife Federation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNWF does meaningful work and makes a difference for wildlife and the planet in general, and thus us. People who work there are committed to the mission and most are like minded in this way.

ConsManagement lacks skills in managing people, in making smart business-minded choices, and often treat those at the lower, non-management positions poorly. They manage budgets so poorly that in the last 5 years have had 2 sets of layoffs (a total of 55 people out of 400).

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the folks on the ground before you make decisions that have devastating affects on your work flow and damage the social contract you claim you have with your employees.

Pressure cooker in the DC office

Mid Level Advocacy Staffer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at National Wildlife Federation full-time

ProsA good track record of promoting from within, supportive of working remotely and flexible schedules, good pay for a non-profit with above average benefits. Finances seem to be stable which is not insignificant for a non-profit. Turnover has been low. People are passionate about their work generally and are encouraged to empower themselves and take risks.

ConsNWF is spread around the US, and experiences will vary. In DC. I've generally seen junior staff have higher morale, while mid-level staff are under a fair amount of pressure, resulting in overloaded schedules and frequent spats. Artificial crises are frequent. DC office also has small cramped workspaces that can add to HR issues. Senior management has tended to do regular reorganizations and reinvention fads, rather than chart a course and stick to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet some long term and realistic goals, over say a 5 year time horizon, and stick to it. Set priorities, because saying everything is a priority is not leadership.

its ok

Help Desk (Former Employee)
Reston, VA

I worked at National Wildlife Federation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsJust about everyone was friendly

Consit was a hike for me

Worked for National Wildlife Federation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Wildlife Federation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Wildlife Federation CEO Larry J. Schweiger. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by National Wildlife Federation employees.