National Writing Project

National Writing Project Executive Director Sharon J. Washington

Sharon J. Washington

Nice place to work

I have been working at National Writing Project part-time for more than a year

ProsNice coworkers, relaxed setting, nice location

ConsOkay pay, sometimes not enough work

Intern for a great Non-Profit

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at National Writing Project as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great pay, no nepotism.

ConsI have none. Great non-profit.

I miss most people from NWP, but not the corrupt, inept leadership that laid of 2/3rd of staff in 2011

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Writing Project full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent work/life balance, lots of vacation, great mission of working to help teachers become better educators and improve student learning

ConsNWP lived off one big federal grant for more than two decades. In all of that time, executive leadership (namely Richard Sterling) never once tried to diversify the funding. When the funding finally got cut in 2011, NWP realized, oops, we need a business plan. Not sure if they found one yet.

Employee morale also suffered greatly during the layoffs of 2011. NWP had a culture of treating everyone like "family." The problem with that became evident when a bunch of the family had to get cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current executive director might be beyond help. The layoffs were not her fault really, but let's just say she didn't do much to earn her $200K+ salary. Advice is simple: bring in money or wither.

Great opportunity to grow professionally.

I have been working at National Writing Project

ProsBeing a part of an organization that contributes to learning and professional development for teachers makes me proud of my work.

ConsThe political and economic climate for education is difficult and has impacted the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to seek input from staff in this time of transition.

Great Place to Work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Writing Project

ProsNational writing project was a great place to work. Management was okay. Overall it was a great place to work. Too bad they have funding problems now. I guess the government does not realize how important education is.

Very close to Berkely bart station.

ConsThe company is small to there is not much rooom to grow. The pay is usually lower than market.

It's a nice place to collect a paycheck.

I have been working at National Writing Project

ProsWell paying, strong community, mission driven organization. If the organization's mission appeals to you and you are looking for a steady place to work, and you don't have much ambition, this place is for you.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, political concerns matter more than merit or capability, management has no ability to set realistic expectations for itself or others

Advice to Senior ManagementEither reduce the work load or increase the number of staff working on a project. Projects get completed when people can work together, not when they are maximally stressed and isolated.

Great people, great work culture

I have been working at National Writing Project

ProsReally wonderful mission and strong commitment to the vision. Some exciting new work in digital literacy as well as good old-fashioned pen and paper writing.

Staff are very positive, helpful and extremely competent. Never worked with a greater group of people. Everyone is very sensitive to work-life balance and it really shows on a daily basis (most people gone by 5:30) and in terms of vacation (people definitely take their vacations and no one balks at anyone taking time off). People are really supportive of each other personally and professionally.

ConsOrganization is pretty top heavy. Senior leaders are a well-oiled machine with strong likes and dislikes. Senior leaders decide on priorities and an action plan then delegate--not much discussion with all staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some extremely talented, highly educated and capable low-men-on-the-totem-pole. Would be great to have more opportunities for advancement at that level.

good place to work as an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Writing Project

ProsAlthough it really depends on what department you're placed in, most of the interns find that their supervisors are really chill and respectful. Compared to other internships, you are paid relatively well and you are given salary increases along with the rest of the full -time employees. Work schedule is really flexible, and you're given a balance of tasks so you're not just doing menial work all the time.

ConsThings can get repetitive but learn to ask for more. In some respect, it's because many of the interns work for short periods of time, so it's not really feasible to train them in more than one area, but always feel free to ask for more tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns rarely have a chance to interact with people from other departments, let along with other interns, so it's hard to assess what goes on in other departments and at NWP as a whole. It may be beneficial for interns to have that experience as well.

Worked for National Writing Project? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Writing Project reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Writing Project CEO Sharon J. Washington. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by National Writing Project employees.