www.nationstarmtg.com

Updated October 16, 2014
2.5

Nationstar Mortgage Director & CEO Jay Bray
Jay Bray

Pros
  • Company is growing so there is a lot of growth (in 7 reviews)

• Great work life balance if working overtime isn't your thing (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They have upper management that makes decisions without the facts or analysis of impact (in 28 reviews)

• Home/work life balance horrible (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start your career in the Mortgage Industry

Current Employee - Mortgage Professional in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage Professional in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money. You can make some serious cash as a loan officer, so long as your have an extremely high tolerance for BS.

Cons

Upper management doesn't seem to have a clue as to what their lower level staff is doing and has to put up with.

Use the carrot to motivate instead of the stick. It yields much better results.

Nothing but office politics

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible with your schedule if you're going part time to school, which in my case I am. Only worked long enough so I could get my Accounting degree and start my real career.

Cons

Doesn't matter if you perform or not. Only thing that matters is how well you rub elbows with the higher ups. Frustrating but gone to a better place now(KPMG)

Should go without saying but promotions should be based on performance.

Young company; many inconsistencies

Current Employee - Loan Administration Analyst in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Administration Analyst in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talented young individuals; work environment not stressful

Cons

Low pay - compared to others
    Traffic - if you don't live in the Lewisville or surrounding cities
    Inexperienced young managers (some)
    End of month - late nights (10PM-12AM) & week-ends

Analyst training - too informal & unorganized
    Clocking in for a salaried position is paradoxical
    Promote more on competence rather than politics
    Promote more rather than hire from outside
    Hire for aptitude and potential rather than experience

Great Experience and never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly busy. Never had to look for work, as there was always something to do.

Cons

At time immediate management seemed distant and distracted. Of course, it could have just been my perception.

None at this time.

It's been a roller coaster

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are doing what you are supposed to do, Nationstar managers will make sure it does not go unnoticed.

Cons

The promotions have slowed down. You hear all this stuff going on with the compant and not sure about the security of your job anymore.

May want to get everyone on the same page... there is alot going on department wise and no one seems to get it right.

It started out great...

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At this point in time I can't think of an pros.

Cons

When I started working here over a year ago I was so excited! Within the first six months I saw all these company incentives and awards being given out for great work, we saw so many people moving throughout the company to different positions and the managers were so easy to connect with and ask for help. Then after about six months things began to change. The company told us of one massive layoff but assured our department (Foreclosure) that all was well. Less than two months later almost all of our department is off shored and only a small fraction of us are left doing foreclosure. Then months later we begin to hear of other layoffs throughout the company but only because they leaked to the media - the company still to this day has not said a word about these layoffs even when approached by current employees. Management in my department is no longer approachable,instead they prowl the floor to see what company violations they can see you doing such as being on your phone or away from your desk - these both used to be allowed but all of a sudden were no longer tolerated. Instead of a manager approaching you about the violation or issue as soon as they see it,they scurry back to their desks and type you up a passive aggressive email - this has happened to several co workers as well as myself. You are given no way to defend or even discuss the issue because the managers won't respond to emails. Managers also seen looking at what everyone is doing, slowly walking by conversations to make sure they are work related and if you are up from your desk that you have a break sign up or clocked out for lunch. The running joke in our department is we are in preschool or jail - this place is hell. Also, none of is have any work to do and are constantly trying to find busy work to at least look busy since we can't get up or look at our phones. There are no more company awards or congrats on doing a good job, no one is moving within the company and everyone is looking elsewhere from this sinking ship. Management isn't knowledgable on what they are managing and upper management acts like everyone below them is pond scum. This place is terrible and I would suggest you NEVER work here. Everyone is trying to get out and good morale doesn't even exist here anymore. I had such high hopes for this company and now am so disappointed and disgusted.
    anymore

Train your managers how to interact and handle confrontation. Train them the same way so they are all on the same page. Stop with the micro managing because it kills morale.

Plenty of mobility within the company but don't it expect it to be rewarding.

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Manager in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of mobility within the company, opportunities amass with tenure. Generally friendly coworkers. Pay is reasonable and more opportunities than a larger firm.

Cons

A lot of growth in a short period of time which at times was hectic. A lot of missteps at times that could have been avoided if management was more aware. Pay may not be as reasonable as larger firms but the trade off is for the advancement and mobility.

oversight management

Current Employee - Oversight Management in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Oversight Management in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn a broad perspective of how the mortgage business runs. Lots of detailed information on regulations. Good people to work with willing to help

Cons

Not much room to grow. Hard to advance to other positions. Often running out of work. work and life balance is fair. compensation is ok out of college

Nationstar as a company is a solid job/career if the nature of work does not bother you.

Current Employee - Loan Counselor in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salaried job, benefits, potential for bonus each month, comfortable work environment, helpful employees and helpful supervisors. Opportunity to continue and make a career if that is preferred.

Cons

When beginning work at Nationstar as a 'loan counselor', your main priority is to collect debt. Meaning multiple harassing phone calls, for most days working in a month, and sometimes to the same people twice. The reasons for people falling behind (Major Illness, divorce, laid-off, etc.) can become incredibly taxing on the conscience for some. You can work incredibly hard, or hardly work at all, and the outcome of any bonus is dependent on external factors (debtors and rest of the department). Mainly nature of the business is negative, and realize that will most likely be for the entirety of early career.

A more effective way of contacting borrowers, allowing a small amount of time to research account in order to have information once in contact with borrowers.

A good place to start out of college but not to stay.

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to move laterally. Ability to work with a younger working group, allows for the ability make friends outisde of work.

Cons

Non-competitive pay. Not flexible on time shifts. Certain departments lack budget for promotions. Company is cost cutting in certain non-performing sections and closing sites to have a better bottom line. Will not always surround yourself with a talented group.

Provide greater recognition for hard work. Be more flexible on minor things. Know how to do the job that you are managing.

Nationstar Mortgage Photos