www.nationstarmtg.com

Updated December 22, 2014
2.5

Nationstar Mortgage Director & CEO Jay Bray
Jay Bray

Pros
  • Company is growing so there is a lot of growth (in 7 reviews)

• Overall it was a GREAT place to work and I would return if the opportunity presented itself (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They have upper management that makes decisions without the facts or analysis of impact (in 29 reviews)

• Home/work life balance horrible (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Managment....

Former Employee - Foreclosure Prevention Specialist in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Prevention Specialist in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you perform then you can easily get promotion. If you do not do good you will not make any money.

Cons

Managment is like big brother always watching everything you do.

Jr. Underwriter/Loan Processor

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay rate was great and competitive.

Cons

Not enough promotions. Not enough leadership or advancement within the company.

Needs better leadership.

Senior marketing manager

Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Underwrite in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Underwrite in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

growing company With opportunities

Cons

infrastructure needs to be improved

improve training system

Good Company

Current Employee - Foreclosure Prevention Specialist in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Prevention Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good bonuses. Decent start out pay. Raises in 6-8 months As long as your perform when you are first hired you do move up the ranks quickly. I've read a lot of the reviews about how people didn't like it or they lied about moving people up. That is not true. I've moved from the Pre 30 dept to Loss Mit in 3 months. It's really about your performance. If you fail to do your job then they won't move you. Plain and simple. Honestly, if you think they have messed with your timecard why wouldn't you take it up to HR? Obviously that is illegal and a company cannot do that.

Cons

Need more communication from execs to the management

Communicate

It really depends on who your manager is

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time

Pros

Decent first job for recent college graduates.

Cons

Favoritism and office politics can take a toll on you.

Environment is fearful and draining

Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired at a time when the company was experiencing a lot of growth so I was promoted very quickly. I do receive nice bonuses - about $1,200.00/month gross.

Cons

I did not receive a raise for the first promotion from global pres to global 30's. When I moved to loss mitigation discharged bankruptcy I did receive a small raise, however, since I was promoted in November 2013 I was ineligible for the end of the year raise. When I was promoted from inactive to active bankruptcy I did not receive a raise. (You cannot have 2 raises within 6 months).
    We have taken the customer service training (since the company did so poorly with providing good customer service) but once we are back on the floor our management tells us we are not able to use the methods because we are "loss mitigation". We are on Workforce Management. We have 2 15 minute breaks scheduled, however, since we are taking calls if you are stuck on a call, you cannot take your break. If you have to use the restroom outside of the scheduled time you are out of adherence and if you are out of adherence the either management and vice presidents get an email about you.
    They motivate by fear which is not conducive to employee morale. We sign new things all the time that say if we do not do..... we will be terminated. The latest included warm transferring calls - if we do this we are terminated.
    The 'hold' times were too long (when we get an inbound call we have to put the customer on hold to finish previous notes) so now if we put a customer on hold (with the music) we are terminated - we now have to place them on a silent mute.
    If our average call duration is over 5 minutes (this is reported daily) we are failing.
    The company promotes and awards those who have the numbers - but do not reach resolutions. For example, there is someone who makes about 150 outbound calls a day, however, she hangs up after the 1st ring - she is awarded for the call number each month.
    We also have to process the modification packets. I take the time to actually process them correctly and for example, last month, sent 36 packets to underwriting when the next closest person to me only sent 15 and the rest is below that. The more time you spend processing = less calls = lower on the ranking report.
    My manager (in our one-on-ones) tells me I am doing so much better than others, however, my score card shows me as "needs improvement" (I have never been lower than 5th on the ranking report because my work is quality and I help customers) but the metrics of the score card are the number of calls you have, number of workouts (which only include certain workouts... for example if I have 90 deals for the month but only 30 booked mods and 3 reinstatement's you get the lowest grade. Really what kills me is the managers will tell me to not pay attention to the score card because I am out-performing everyone... but the score card and your adherence to workforce management are what determines your raise.. so it does matter to me.
    No one is allowed to ask questions or raise issues even though they always ask for feedback.. I made the mistake once and had meetings with 3 different managers to never say anything... (I did not say anything distasteful) and this happens with every new employee ... they learn the same way.
    You are allowed 5 sick days and if you miss more than that even if you are in the hospital you are written up for each occurrence.
    In floor meetings the vice president always says, "Just remember when you complain, there are 100 more people we can hire to replace you and we can pay them less".
    There is no HR present, no suggestion boxes, no way to even talk about what is going on.
    I love helping people save their homes... and I like the employees I work with (most of them) but it kills me to go into the workplace everyday.
    The company is relatively new and once they learn that turnover and employee morale is important, I do believe they will make changes for the better. The company makes changes daily which is good.

Treat your employees as fellow human beings and not just a number. Not every move can be "lateral".

Was a good company before

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a good place to learn

Cons

too much politics happening now at the company

try to get more involve with their employees to know what is happening.

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Bankruptcy Specialist in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Bankruptcy Specialist in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good entry level position out of college to get your foot in the door and gain some mortgage experience.

Cons

Management doesnt care about employees, unorganized

Having potlocks or employee appreciation once edery blue moon would be nice.

Chaos and Bureaucracy

Former Employee - BI Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - BI Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Nationstar Mortgage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues are generally supportive and helpful, but everyone is frustrated with all the hoops you have to jump through to accomplish anything.

Cons

The data is a mess. Managers expect you to win the Tour de France on a rusty bicycle. Management pressures you to turn out work when the infrastructure is not in place and data needs to be completely revamped and improved.

Stop strangling your employees with bureaucracy.

Mediocre company

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Irving, TX

I have been working at Nationstar Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling, team environment....good insurance

Cons

Promotions, transparency, base pay increases, non telecommutable, random bonus structure change

Nationstar Mortgage Photos