Nationwide Building Society

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
3.5

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great start to my career

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

- Management can be supportive of your outside life if you let them in
    - Always get a lunch break, even if it is 10 minutes they allow you to leave early or pay you for the rest
    - There are opportunities fr those who make the effort to look for them.

Cons

- It's not always a 9-5 job, I can be there from 8 - 5.30 sometimes, and as salary work, you won't get paid the extra.

- Relay all the messages to all the areas so there can be no confusion.
    - Do what you expect everyone else to do, don't just preach it.

Excellent company to work for in head offices

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, reasonable benefits, excellent pension for those in the original scheme. Good volunteering and staff benefits

Cons

Could do more with home working and flexible working for employed staff, contractors get easier access to changes in working times

Flexible working and home working for Admin staff and IT staff is a winner for Society and staff

Lives it's values

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse opportunities, excellent training, collaborative culture. They walk the talk.

Cons

None I can think of

PRIDE works

An IT department that doesn't know what it's doing. Lead by ineffectual management.

Former Employee - Principal Applications Developer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nationwide have good benefits and are really flexible around work hours and working from home. A 35 hour week is becoming rare but Nationwide has stuck to it.

Head office has good facilities, restaurant, coffee shop, gym and hairdressers.

Cons

Every department is different, I was in a Practice in Group Operations. The director has publicly stated his desire not to be a software house. I joined after a round of redundancies PRISM (branded restructuring) and left after another 'Working with partners'.

Software development is now supposed to be delivered by 'partners' again this actually means software development has been outsourced to IBM, Accenture & TCS.

You would have thought that Nationwide would have learned from the disaster that the Voyager programme was (led by IBM). But instead they think these 'IT specialists' can do it better than there thinly stretched internal teams. Which by now is probably true as it's died a death by a thousand cuts.

The situation has been made worse by the fact that most of the senior management has been recruited from x-lloyds people. Who clearly believe outsourcing is the answer.

They've done this outsourcing without having any robust Quality Assurance function in place beforehand - so don't have a measure of software quality before outsourcing so can't measure if it's being improved. I know of specific examples where it has got much worse. TCS being the main problem.

Management is by fear, all senior managers have very slopey shoulders and don't want to be seen taking any accountability in case something goes wrong. I heard a rumour that the head of my practice had admitted he walked around with a resignation letter in his jacket. So he could have it to hand in a seconds notice. Really gives people a sense he's committed and believes in all the things he was trying to sell to his people.

From talking to other people around the business, no one was happy. I hope that there is, and someone leaves a positive review. I just haven't meant them there.

I predict in 2015 that Nationwide Building Society will have a major IT incident in the news that will be directly attributable to the outsourcing if it's IT development. Once investigated by the FCA it will concluded that Nationwide has lost control of its IT estate and give it a large fine in the millions of pounds.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how to stop it from happening.

Enterprise Architecture at Nationwide Building Society

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of new opportunities and challenges to make your mark and change things for the better. Good working atmosphere and all stakeholders on single site. Recognition of the need to change, if not the pace and nature of change.

Cons

Ultra conservative, risk adverse, despite need to be "Digital" and play catch up with peers. Poor levels of training and tool support. Many silos and political obstacles to overcome. Unique mix of new hires and Swindon based long timers...

Bank masquerading as a building society

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Reasonable levels of oversight
    Room for career progression

Cons

Pressure to hit sales targets dressed up as "helping our customers"
    Outdated software and systems
    High-level management more interested in making money than employee or customer welfare
    Compensation below market average

Remember: You're a building society NOT a bank. Customer's don't want flustered staff desperately trying to flog them credit cards and loans at the counter while a manage stands behind them with a clipboard to ensure targets are met.

I've been working for Nationwide for over 10 years in a number of different roles.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Division in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nationwide is a fantastic place to work. The culture is all about putting people first (customers and employees) and it is really well-embedded throughout the organisation. The company invests a lot in nurturing talent and I have always found there to be good opportunities to broaden and develop my career at every level through a range of different roles. The pay and benefits packages are excellent in my opinion, with good pension, holiday entitlement and range of other benefits (varying by job level). Individual performance is measured through a combination of task delivery and behaviours, and company performance is heavily determined by customer satisfaction, rather than pure financial performance, both of which help to maintain the people-focused culture. I have always felt able to contribute to the success of the company and I’m proud to work for Nationwide.

Cons

Head Office is becoming rather busy these days, leading to problems with car parking and finding meeting spaces. The technology and systems are rather “locked down” which can be frustrating as it gets in the way of doing the job. But these are relatively minor problems that management are aware of and working to resolve.

Keep it up.

Promising start, disillusionment in the end

Former Employee - Analyst in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Initially ticks all the boxes in respect of salary, prospects and training

Cons

Lack of progression in northampton
    Swindon centric
    Line management is at odds often with company ethos
    Managed prerformance ratings which impact pay and bonus
    Pressure, bordering on bullying at times
    Blame culture and often more focus on who's ultimately to blame than the issue in hand

Ensure that your selected top leaders actually practice the ethos and values you wish them to empart on their staff

EXCELLENT COMPANY, WOULD LOVE TO WORK FOR THEM AGAIN

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Normally a good salary (above the market rate), good holiday allowance, pension, free/subsidise healthcare, free life insurance, flexible working, PRIDE recognitiion awards and other benefits that I can't remember.

Cons

Work hard and you are rewarded. Unfortunately, my department moved to Swindon otherwise I would still be with them.

You have lost a lot of good people by transferring the department to Swindon. Although negotiations were carried out quite smoothly it would have been better to transfer all staff from Swindon to Northampton as the travelling distance to London would have been a great cost saving.

Great start, however awful ending

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

- Great company to start with, very big name and seemingly professional.
    - Salary is great (now matches the living wage) for a first job.
    - If you can get a permanent job then you end up entitled to an awful lot of benefits.

Cons

- Temporary workers are treated as waste & disposable by certain departments.
    - Certain senior managers have absolute no level of professionalism and will treat their staff like the scum of society. Hopefully you don't end up working for them!
    - Little support for temporary workers who wish to make complaints... you almost can't.
    - IT issues are a daily occurrence, some departments still using windows XP!?
    - Unrealistic target setting in some teams.

Sort our senior management. Some of yours have been some of the most unprofessional, bad mouthing, authoritarian people I have ever met in life.

Actually try to care about temporary workers, a lot of them are just shoved aside like trash.

Nationwide Building Society Photos