Nationwide Building Society Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low salaries, no training opportunity and old-fashion way of working (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of people in roles they are totally unqualified to perform in (including senior management) but have the mis-guided confidence of experts (in 3 reviews)

1. Review

Current Employee - Change Analyst
    Current Employee - Change Analyst

Pros

support development good work life balance opportunities to move within the company

Cons

Salary relatively below market Slow career progression

2. Nationwide Employee

Current Employee - Risk Analyst (Lead) in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society (More than a year)

Pros

Pay as good and opportunities are there.

Cons

Poor location in swindon. Slow to respond to change.

Advice to Management

Move location.

Lack of freedom

Current Employee - Customer Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Representative

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time

Pros

It sounds cliche but there's none

Cons

Do not work on the tills, lack of freedom to go to toilet or leave on your arranged lunch break. Can't use any creative skills. Your just filling a position because they need numbers

Advice to Management

Hire staff when you are understaffed and predict the future rather than waiting and effecting our staff, making them over stressed. Always consider employees opinions and act rather than just listen

Don't work in new business call centre

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are really great and easy to get along with, had some great memories on nights out. Great social side

Cons

Some senior management, in particular the lady in charge of new recruits when you first go onto the phones. Have nothing good to write about her, treats people terribly. They're all about treating the customers right but don't care about staff, in particular temps are treated like trash.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager who's approachable for new starters on the phones. Treat your employees better

6. Nationwide on your side

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nationwide is really good at helping to support its employees, through out training and On to their teams. The level of encouragemeant this superb

Cons

I can't really think of any. I still wake up and look forward to my day of talking to a wide range of different people.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Complaints Handler in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Complaints Handler in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Pros

the only good thing about Nationwide is the people I worked with were nice

Cons

from the outset there is no proper training provided. I spent 3 weeks playing games then there was no support offered when training was finished. I spent 9 years working for another bank and the lack of policies and procedure astounded me. Quite often I would have a simply question and no one would no the answer or where to find it. People crying was a daily occurrence and the levels of sickness were shocking. Nationwide place no value on their staff and this reflects in the high level of staff turnover. Not only would I not recommend anyone work for Nationwide, after seeing the way they conduct their business I would never recommend anyone bank with them either. The word that I hear most to sum up Nationwide is 'shambles'

Advice to Management

place more value in staff, set up proper training, stop allowing management to bully their staff, outline policy and procedures in a clear way like every single other bank does so there are no grey areas and staff and customers being told different information. Call centre managers are also not qualified to help their staff as the don't know how to deal with customers. The entire organisation needs an overhaul

Very Stressful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dysart, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dysart, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yearly Bonus based on performance Great people

Cons

Few opportunities to progress Salary lower than Banks Extremelystressful place to work

Advice to Management

Listen to and value your staff more than you do

9. Overall good experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

customer service training, values, development support

Cons

development support dependent on manager, money saving focus, it's difficult to change from temp to perm role

Advice to Management

N/A

Poor

Former Employee - Branch Banking in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Banking in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. At all. None. At all. None. At all. None. At all. Sadly a twenty word minimum for this section.

Cons

Poor salary. Every year they stand over you to complete a positive employee survey. Management is trained poorly so inconsistent decision making. A culture of firefighting rather than fire prevention.

Advice to Management

Train people better. Read 'the peter principle'

Not the company you'd expect it to be

Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great business Some really great people at ground level and branch teams Community Ethos

Cons

Extremely hierachal structure where feedback is not taken on board by senior management There is a culture of bullying amongst some of the senior retail managers that has been left unchecked, the area in a which I work at a middle management level is particularly effected by this. Senior Management seem unable to deal with people that go beyond what is deemed as acceptable behaviour when they are senior/executive level Projects are not delivered well and often behind schedule.

Advice to Management

Review your management structure and truly ask yourself - do we really take feedback on board? Pride values are a long way from reality.

RSS Feed </> Embed