Nationwide Building Society

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.4

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well.

Cons

stressful and demanding, the job can be stressful at times but its all worth it

nothing really

So PROUD to work for such an HONEST company

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding Job benefits. Success is recognised. Nationwide lives and breathes what we stand by and it all about the people. Highly challenging but highly rewarding. We get rewarded for doing the right thing for our customers, not for the benefit of the company. career development is great. for those willing to work hard... that is. I have had 5 promotions in 5 years.

Cons

demands of the job and stress... but its all worth it.

Think about the tools which are needed to support making managers life even better - laptops for ALL BMs not just SBMs.

a great place to work - good people and culture

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

clear company values which are embedded in how things are done. succesful business model. good work life balance

Cons

good brand - but can be a little shy in telling the wider world about themselves

Such a friendly and nurturing place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for nationwide for over a year and have yet to find any major faults. They truly do support you with your development and encourage you to expand out of your comfort zones. Since being at nationwide i have become a lot more confident with myself mainly thanks to my branch manager. The people i work with are fun and enthusiastic. They put their all in to what they do and we all help each other. I would 100% recommend nationwide to work for as you get back what you put in. They are great for acknowledging achievements and helping you get to where you want to be.

Cons

Just a tiny one .... systems need a bit of improvement but i know that is something that is being worked on at the moment.

I work in a branch and would love to know more about head office maybe visit and see the areas that i am interested in progressing to. Not sure how people in branches can go about doing this?

I love working here, but it isn't without it's challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The head office building is great. Everything you need is on site and there is a great buzz. Benefits are good, pension after 2yrs service is also really good. The people you work with are on the whole very helpful and willing to give you their time to help. Its not a place full of egos or people who are all me me me. Having had a number of jobs elsewhere this is by far the best place I've worked.

Cons

Parking isn't great, get in early if you want a space! Depending on the business area things can get quite political, so like anywhere work out who you can trust and who you can't. It can be quite difficult to get things done at speed due to having to get things done by committee.

Don't listen to all the talk, look out for and reward the people who keep their head down and get the job done - we Ned more doers and less talkers!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Graduate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - Development opportunities always available
    - Great atmosphere - always someone around willing to help
    - Loads of opportunities to get involved and have fun, e.g. charity events, competitions etc

Cons

There's never enough parking spaces!

Excellent, ethical, people focussed organisation

Current Employee - Human Resources Graduate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Really people orientated, genuinely care about the staff and the customers with good development opportunities. Wide variety of projects to get involved with.

Cons

FS provider not primarily based in the capital, comparatively small company with limited opportunity for moving location and therefore challenging to progress as quickly as other companies

Incredible, customer orientated company with a true family spirit.

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about working for them is the people you meet and the job you get to do. You make a real difference to peoples finances, and you go away feeling proud of that. The benefits are fantastic and you have alot of opportunities open up to you as you work there. By far the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Sometimes the job is difficult. You encounter situations where you just cant do enough for the people you are trying to help, and that is hard to deal with at times. Sometimes it feels like process gets in the way of success.

Know the job your guys on the lowest levels are doing. Sometimes, we get changes put in place by people that don't do the job the changes affect, and it can often have disastrous impacts, leaving us to clear up the mess and communicate back what needs to be done to fix it. This could be so much easier if changes were run past people who were actually on the phones doing the job. A lot of changes make our job so much more difficult, but people higher up believe it is 'Making things simpler'.

I love working for Nationwide.

Current Employee - Complaint Handler in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Complaint Handler in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Pros

Great opportunities to develop and progress.
    Great respect for people and amazing values which I completely adhere with.
    Great opportunities to also develop interests and to express your individuality.

Cons

Low salaries respect the competition.

Increase the progression opportunities in the Admin Centre in Bournemouth, as at the moment they are fewer than Swindon or Northampton.
    Consider the living allowance in Bournemouth, due to higher living costs, almost similar to London.

Everything is brilliant

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities are great, brilliant benefits, you enjoy and emrace the nwide way and PRIDE

Cons

You have to work very hard

Don't have favourites