Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Graham Beale

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent, ethical, people focussed organisation

Human Resources Graduate (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsReally people orientated, genuinely care about the staff and the customers with good development opportunities. Wide variety of projects to get involved with.

ConsFS provider not primarily based in the capital, comparatively small company with limited opportunity for moving location and therefore challenging to progress as quickly as other companies

Incredible, customer orientated company with a true family spirit.

Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsThe best things about working for them is the people you meet and the job you get to do. You make a real difference to peoples finances, and you go away feeling proud of that. The benefits are fantastic and you have alot of opportunities open up to you as you work there. By far the best company I have ever worked for.

ConsSometimes the job is difficult. You encounter situations where you just cant do enough for the people you are trying to help, and that is hard to deal with at times. Sometimes it feels like process gets in the way of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the job your guys on the lowest levels are doing. Sometimes, we get changes put in place by people that don't do the job the changes affect, and it can often have disastrous impacts, leaving us to clear up the mess and communicate back what needs to be done to fix it. This could be so much easier if changes were run past people who were actually on the phones doing the job. A lot of changes make our job so much more difficult, but people higher up believe it is 'Making things simpler'.

I love working for Nationwide.

Complaint Handler (Current Employee) Bournemouth, England (UK)

ProsGreat opportunities to develop and progress.
    Great respect for people and amazing values which I completely adhere with.
    Great opportunities to also develop interests and to express your individuality.

ConsLow salaries respect the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the progression opportunities in the Admin Centre in Bournemouth, as at the moment they are fewer than Swindon or Northampton.
    Consider the living allowance in Bournemouth, due to higher living costs, almost similar to London.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everything is brilliant

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsOpportunities are great, brilliant benefits, you enjoy and emrace the nwide way and PRIDE

ConsYou have to work very hard

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have favourites

Best career stepping stone

Customer Account Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, great values, always felt supported and they're always willing to train and push talented staff. Down to earth environment and was always felt as a valued employee. If you're a staff member short then everyone else feels the burden especially at busy times so it can be stressful. However - this was never really an issue because even the managers are willing to serve on the cashier tills to help during periods of short staff.

ConsCan honestly say that I can't think of any major downsides. The start/finish/break times are fairly inflexible but that is the same with most private sector companies. I was on one of the 'new-style' contracts which meant I had to work every Saturday with a weekday off to compensate. This was a bit of a pain especially if you had to use leave to take a Saturday off but other people on your team who did the same job were on a Saturday rota. This felt a bit unfair. Its in an industry which uses performance targets - so if you're not happy with monthly targets then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure if its still the case, but I think contracts for all employees should be aligned - as in the case with my Saturday working contract. I think this could have been done fairer.

Very freindly enviroment to work

ProsVery freindly enviroment, fexible working hours and clever people. Nice spacious offices with lots of helpful work mates. Excellent working hours

Consthe location off the offices are in swindon and the surrounding area does not allow much networking

NATIONWIDE

Mortgage Administrator (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsExcelllent company to work for great environment and good company values.

ConsContract work, so job security was unsure however they always looked to renew or extend contracts so in some ways this was stable. However I would have preferred to be on a full time permanent contract.

Great experience but bad taste left

Human Resources Department (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA postive culture focused on growth. Passionate about customers which comes across in all strategies and departments, whether customer facing or not.

ConsThey don't handle and communicate change well, particular during organisational changes.
    Too much trust and autonomy given to the contract population.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and gain buy-in from staff before forcing change. Think about the longer term, I saw changes implemented due to one person being given repsonsibility for an area, wreck it and leave. Each time this happens staff get that bit more dis-engaged.

Mostly good, some areas for improvement around progression

Accountant (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsBenefits of a large entity e.g. potential to move roles and gain more varied experience, good benefits, job security, nice building, flexitime allowed

ConsNot very good at recognition or development - large entity negatives such as siloing, the potential to be forgotten about or not noticed, managers not knowing what the processes are

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear promotion policy and path to motivate people.

Great company, good life-working balance, fair with great opportunities.

Credit Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsBenefits, training, bonus scheme, flexible working, chance for in role promotions, knowledgeable and strong financial performance of company.

ConsSlow servers, low salary compared to London FS firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider headphones being allowed!

Worked for Nationwide Building Society? Contribute to the Community!