Nationwide Building Society

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Graham Beale

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Prehistoric, full of incompetence, like no where else I've ever worked!

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The branch staff may be great, but if you work in the head office you're in for a real shock!

Cons

Very hierarchical structure, poorly trained staff, several examples of bullying of staff while I was there even in the company of senior execs (I wasn't subjected to it, but my colleagues were). Lots of people in roles they are totally unqualified to perform in (including senior management) but have the mis-guided confidence of experts!

Very much a 'good news culture' where the messages reported upwards are positive, but the reality on the ground is anything but. A comically incompetent company, the only one I've ever worked for in 20 years who I'd never work for again. While working/since I worked there I've encountered countless people who had the same experience as me.

Can't help wondering whether if they had shareholders they would be able to maintain such low standards seemingly without consequences.

Sack a whole swathe of the middle/senior management and invest in some proper training for your HQ staff.

Poor organisation who claim lots and deliver little

Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a great company to work for (about 4 years ago) but they have lost the focus and will continue to lose their staff.

Cons

Poor management, a building society pretending they are not a bank but acting as if they are, low staff morale, high pressure, poor communication, inefficient leadership, back stabbing and only getting promoted when your terrible at your job (to promote poor people out of their jobs into a different role)???

Wake up to what is really going on

old school BS, struggling to be a bank

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

well known name in FS, rather stable organisation

Cons

they claim to be pride, but it is only a façade. Back-stabbing is a very popular sport, but few will admit it.
    low salaries, no training opportunity and old-fashion way of working. obsolete IT systems and cahotic environment. Too hierarchical organisation dows not help inner communication.

start acting in alignment to your pride values.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was trained briefly by Nationwide

Former Employee - Case Owner  in  Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Difficult to assess this as I was released on day one with my post training 'team'. I was informed that the work was not for me by a rather nasty manager. I subsequently joined Barclays and love it.

Cons

Very narrow minded management stifles any actual talent or ability.

Give people a chance! Why train someone for nearly 5 weeks only to release them at a days notice.

Quite Unimpressed with the overall morale in the workplace

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security. Other than that it is difficult to say.

Cons

lack of transparence in peer salaries and poor skills/job matrix

Get to understand the skills of your employee and match them to the right jobs

Let down

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Good pay and conditions, great people, good location. If you live near Swindon then you'll be ok, any where else keep looking.

Cons

Talk a good game on putting customer First and enabling employees, but it is just gloss. Management don't have a clue, and projects are run like a car crash.

Stop trying to be a bank, really believe that building societies are better.

Old fashioned way of working

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the culture is ok as long as long as you have the right staff.

Cons

A lot of the senior managers seem to make change for the sake of it. None or very little has anything to do with the business needs.

Wrong people in the wrong roles.

Not really customer focused.

Replace management with people who have real experience in the roles they have.

Stop wasting money on things that aren't required.

Departments need to work together not against.

Very negative attitude. Disrespectful and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Training is provided and there may be long term prospects for the right people. Nationwide encourage staff by rewarding them if nominated for good service. Promote charity events.

Cons

Bullying culture. Little support from Human Resources. Everything you say in confidence is talked about amongst the staff. Exclude people and ostracise them.

Put some support in place for people who are experiencing difficulties within the company. Be honest about anti bullying policy. Tell people where they can go to get support. Take problems in the company amongst staff seriously.

Nationwide - the PLC in 'mutual' sheepskin

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

I worked with an absolutely amazing team, we all clicked immediately and worked together to create an amazing atmosphere for customers. I had an amazing boss. I cannot emphasise how important is this is. A poor boss at NBS will blame everyone but them selves.

Cons

Fluffy targets which are cloudy at best. Senior level managers who are so out of touch with reality. Chief executive who is more about penny pinching than innovation. Poor levels of promotion in rural areas. Would prefer to outsource than develop insiders. Does not reward customer service effectively. Poor salaries, nothing more than a housewives handbag salary. Very very poor union who is dangled by the strong of the chief execs

Let the branch managers run the branches not the upper managers who have no idea. Innovate innovate innovate! Reward loyal staff, and sort out the roundabout of staff. Properly staff branches!!! Pay overtime instead of unpaid. Be transparent !

Used to love it but now thinking of throwing in the towel

Current Employee - Adminiatrator  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Adminiatrator in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great bunch of people very comitted to doing the best job they can

Cons

Seems that they are trying to drive out the older staff

Older staff can learn just as well -they sometimes take a bit longer is all

Worked for Nationwide Building Society? Contribute to the Community!