Nationwide Building Society

Updated August 26, 2014

3.5

Graham Beale

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Poor organisation who claim lots and deliver little

Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a great company to work for (about 4 years ago) but they have lost the focus and will continue to lose their staff.

Cons

Poor management, a building society pretending they are not a bank but acting as if they are, low staff morale, high pressure, poor communication, inefficient leadership, back stabbing and only getting promoted when your terrible at your job (to promote poor people out of their jobs into a different role)???

Wake up to what is really going on

old school BS, struggling to be a bank

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

well known name in FS, rather stable organisation

Cons

they claim to be pride, but it is only a façade. Back-stabbing is a very popular sport, but few will admit it.
    low salaries, no training opportunity and old-fashion way of working. obsolete IT systems and cahotic environment. Too hierarchical organisation dows not help inner communication.

start acting in alignment to your pride values.

I was trained briefly by Nationwide

Former Employee - Case Owner  in  Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Difficult to assess this as I was released on day one with my post training 'team'. I was informed that the work was not for me by a rather nasty manager. I subsequently joined Barclays and love it.

Cons

Very narrow minded management stifles any actual talent or ability.

Give people a chance! Why train someone for nearly 5 weeks only to release them at a days notice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quite Unimpressed with the overall morale in the workplace

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security. Other than that it is difficult to say.

Cons

lack of transparence in peer salaries and poor skills/job matrix

Get to understand the skills of your employee and match them to the right jobs

Very negative attitude. Disrespectful and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Training is provided and there may be long term prospects for the right people. Nationwide encourage staff by rewarding them if nominated for good service. Promote charity events.

Cons

Bullying culture. Little support from Human Resources. Everything you say in confidence is talked about amongst the staff. Exclude people and ostracise them.

Put some support in place for people who are experiencing difficulties within the company. Be honest about anti bullying policy. Tell people where they can go to get support. Take problems in the company amongst staff seriously.

Nationwide - the PLC in 'mutual' sheepskin

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

I worked with an absolutely amazing team, we all clicked immediately and worked together to create an amazing atmosphere for customers. I had an amazing boss. I cannot emphasise how important is this is. A poor boss at NBS will blame everyone but them selves.

Cons

Fluffy targets which are cloudy at best. Senior level managers who are so out of touch with reality. Chief executive who is more about penny pinching than innovation. Poor levels of promotion in rural areas. Would prefer to outsource than develop insiders. Does not reward customer service effectively. Poor salaries, nothing more than a housewives handbag salary. Very very poor union who is dangled by the strong of the chief execs

Let the branch managers run the branches not the upper managers who have no idea. Innovate innovate innovate! Reward loyal staff, and sort out the roundabout of staff. Properly staff branches!!! Pay overtime instead of unpaid. Be transparent !

Used to love it but now thinking of throwing in the towel

Current Employee - Adminiatrator  in  Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Adminiatrator in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great bunch of people very comitted to doing the best job they can

Cons

Seems that they are trying to drive out the older staff

Older staff can learn just as well -they sometimes take a bit longer is all

Cheated

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Great values, good oppertunities for the right people. Pay is fair.

Cons

The oppertunities were only available if your face fits, and you were based in the right building. I worked there as a temp and got on well for well over a year. I was given an oppertunity on a permenant contract and within 6 months was told that I didn't pass probation. Turns out they wanted the role based in the Swindon office. Even the union felt it was wrong that I was let go.

Make your management team play fair. Take the advise of both the union and the case management team.

Branch Manager Sits on the till & Working unpaid

Former Employee - Brand Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Over the 10 years met some very valuable colleagues, gained very good experience due to the demand of work.

Cons

Very low salary for the responsibility you take on as a branch manager, do not get paid for overtime worse of it all you work Saturdays and do not get paid, senior management do not care about your welfare do not give you any support what so ever, Regular Days without Lunch breaks are missed due to shortage of staff means branch manager has to cover the tills on a regular basis,complaining customers on a daily basis as complaints process is dealt with at branch level amongst all the other work you need to do, where can I stop these are just some of the points to give you an idea.

You need to start paying staff for the time they work and stop cutting costs and hire more staff and stop running on bare minimum.
    You also need to treat your loyal staff hardworking employees better otherwise you are going to loose all the good employees like myself and be left with the people who call is sick as they are fed up with being mistreated by management and customers.

FCA say we should focus on outcomes, managers say; Sell sell sell

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent for one who has no drive in career development, fantastic for those that want to get out of the house whilst the kids are at school.
    Having said that i do believe some people make a genuine concerted effort to progress, though as with anything there is an inherent resistance to change as pioneered by management.

Cons

Recruitment process is not particularly transparent as senior managers have an 'idea' of who they would like in their particular span of control, this gives rise to those being employed on the basis of who they know as opposed to arriving on merit (a term that seems to be non-existent herein).
    overall as discussed, pro's outweigh the negative management but be prepared to make massive sacrifices to entertain management whims.

with all due respect i certainly would suggest that you monitor your deputies control a number of branches within their span. cliques often form with long standing staff, though isolate 'newblood'.
    people have previously mentioned high staff turnover, perhaps if there is anything worth taking from a bank it is this; adopt a policy whereby no staff member spends longer that 2 years in a particular role, this way you have better skilled staff across divisions especially the computer illiterate staff inherent in your branch networks (i feel for the members). Moving people around divisions/branches will help create a diverse work culture and actually attract people with the skills sets that you so greatly need.
    I have since moved to a PLC with the aforementioned 'up and out' policy and i am looking at my first promotion in 7 months!

Worked for Nationwide Building Society? Contribute to the Community!