Nationwide Building Society

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.5

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• A Financial Services company who's head office is in the South West (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Prehistoric, full of incompetence, like no where else I've ever worked!

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The branch staff may be great, but if you work in the head office you're in for a real shock!

Cons

Very hierarchical structure, poorly trained staff, several examples of bullying of staff while I was there even in the company of senior execs (I wasn't subjected to it, but my colleagues were). Lots of people in roles they are totally unqualified to perform in (including senior management) but have the mis-guided confidence of experts!

Very much a 'good news culture' where the messages reported upwards are positive, but the reality on the ground is anything but. A comically incompetent company, the only one I've ever worked for in 20 years who I'd never work for again. While working/since I worked there I've encountered countless people who had the same experience as me.

Can't help wondering whether if they had shareholders they would be able to maintain such low standards seemingly without consequences.

Sack a whole swathe of the middle/senior management and invest in some proper training for your HQ staff.

Poor organisation who claim lots and deliver little

Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Manager

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company to work for (about 4 years ago) but they have lost the focus and will continue to lose their staff.

Cons

Poor management, a building society pretending they are not a bank but acting as if they are, low staff morale, high pressure, poor communication, inefficient leadership, back stabbing and only getting promoted when your terrible at your job (to promote poor people out of their jobs into a different role)???

Wake up to what is really going on

old school BS, struggling to be a bank

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

well known name in FS, rather stable organisation

Cons

they claim to be pride, but it is only a façade. Back-stabbing is a very popular sport, but few will admit it.
    low salaries, no training opportunity and old-fashion way of working. obsolete IT systems and cahotic environment. Too hierarchical organisation dows not help inner communication.

start acting in alignment to your pride values.

I was trained briefly by Nationwide

Former Employee - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Case Owner in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Difficult to assess this as I was released on day one with my post training 'team'. I was informed that the work was not for me by a rather nasty manager. I subsequently joined Barclays and love it.

Cons

Very narrow minded management stifles any actual talent or ability.

Give people a chance! Why train someone for nearly 5 weeks only to release them at a days notice.

Quite Unimpressed with the overall morale in the workplace

Current Employee - Analyst in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security. Other than that it is difficult to say.

Cons

lack of transparence in peer salaries and poor skills/job matrix

Get to understand the skills of your employee and match them to the right jobs

Do not work at Nationwide if you are an intelligent hard worker who doesn't "play the game"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Working 9-5.
    2) Lunch break along with two 15 minute breaks.
    3) Good colleagues for the most part.

Cons

1) The rating system is based around "Behaviours" and "Tasks". Behaviours has a lot more weight to it and unless you are willing to kiss up to the managers you will not get a large bonus, pay rise or promotion.
    2) Archaic company using old computer systems stuck in a red ocean strategy.
    3) Do not value higher education.
    4) Sexism - 65-70% of the workforce are women including most managers. Makes it harder for men to succeed who are just as capable if not more so.
    5) Lack of opportunity. Most roles in Swindon where obviously not many people want to live.
    6) Sychophantic culture.
    7) Low salaries. Benchmarks are at bottom of national average and in some cases even lower. Causes high staff churn and makes work less productive and efficient.

1) Move people into roles they are educated for and can succeed in.
    2) Place more/most emphasis on work and not how much you demonstrate "PRIDE" and being really happy and positive all the time.
    3) Understand the true value of your employees.
    4) More opportunities in other locations rather than just Swindon.
    5) Higher salaries.

Let down

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Good pay and conditions, great people, good location. If you live near Swindon then you'll be ok, any where else keep looking.

Cons

Talk a good game on putting customer First and enabling employees, but it is just gloss. Management don't have a clue, and projects are run like a car crash.

Stop trying to be a bank, really believe that building societies are better.

Old fashioned way of working

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the culture is ok as long as long as you have the right staff.

Cons

A lot of the senior managers seem to make change for the sake of it. None or very little has anything to do with the business needs.

Wrong people in the wrong roles.

Not really customer focused.

Replace management with people who have real experience in the roles they have.

Stop wasting money on things that aren't required.

Departments need to work together not against.

Very negative attitude. Disrespectful and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Training is provided and there may be long term prospects for the right people. Nationwide encourage staff by rewarding them if nominated for good service. Promote charity events.

Cons

Bullying culture. Little support from Human Resources. Everything you say in confidence is talked about amongst the staff. Exclude people and ostracise them.

Put some support in place for people who are experiencing difficulties within the company. Be honest about anti bullying policy. Tell people where they can go to get support. Take problems in the company amongst staff seriously.

Nationwide - the PLC in 'mutual' sheepskin

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

I worked with an absolutely amazing team, we all clicked immediately and worked together to create an amazing atmosphere for customers. I had an amazing boss. I cannot emphasise how important is this is. A poor boss at NBS will blame everyone but them selves.

Cons

Fluffy targets which are cloudy at best. Senior level managers who are so out of touch with reality. Chief executive who is more about penny pinching than innovation. Poor levels of promotion in rural areas. Would prefer to outsource than develop insiders. Does not reward customer service effectively. Poor salaries, nothing more than a housewives handbag salary. Very very poor union who is dangled by the strong of the chief execs

Let the branch managers run the branches not the upper managers who have no idea. Innovate innovate innovate! Reward loyal staff, and sort out the roundabout of staff. Properly staff branches!!! Pay overtime instead of unpaid. Be transparent !

Nationwide Building Society Photos