Nationwide

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen

Steve Rasmussen

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing place with varied pace!

Specialist, IT Applications Development (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsEmployee friendly, work life balance, benefits, flexible hours. One of the best employers in CMH

ConsPay is below par and not great bonus plan. Career progression is not easy because of strong networking culture.

A company who tries to do the right thing

Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits, positive culture, contributes to community; as a mutual company, not driven by short-term shareholder profits. Leadership has integrity. I worked in IT and found that part of the organization to be well run. Office spaces are pleasant.

ConsHeavy bureaucracy in places. It's a big place, and there are some teams and/or managers that are dysfunctional. Dress code is a bit stiff for modern times. It's still an insurance and financial services company, and that may simply be boring for some people.

Stingy, hypocritical bastards

Columbus, OH

ProsThere are good people that work at Nationwide. I have a great set of coworkers (always have, in every role), and my boss is fantastic.

ConsAbsolutely, without a doubt, the biggest issue in that place is the senior "leadership" in the company. I don't think you could fill the smallest conference room at Nationwide with the total number of decent leaders that are part of senior leadership. They go out of their way to make working for Nationwide a miserable experience. Raises and promotions are nonexistent, yet we always have money for extravagant engagement outings and worthless trinkets that they plaster our desks with. Speaking of engagement - for a bunch of so-called intelligent senior leaders, I find it amazing that they can so grossly misinterpret engagement numbers and feedback from their employees. There is a single question in our yearly reviews that can completely negate a year's worth of work. That question is the manager's opinion on if the employee was engaged. If it is a no, kiss any pay increase goodbye. They encourage us to answer our engagement surveys honestly, yet if you are not engaged, you get shafted. Oh, engagement surveys are anonymous? Sure, try working on a team of 4 or 5 people and have your survey be truly anonymous. Upset your manager in any way and "No" on the engagement question is all the retaliation they need.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and reward them for their hard work. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to see senior leaders change titles seemingly every other quarter and likely get all kinds of additional compensation from the meaningless restructuring? You trample over employees and their ideas, all the while attempting to leverage those same employees and ideas to make you look good in your own reviews.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over worked and underpaid, frequent reorgs have eroded the company.

Columbus, OH

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement, if you're on the right career path. The time off policy isn't bad and they do offer both a 401k and a savings plan.

ConsFrequent reorgs mean that remaining employees are expected to do more with less, whether it means giving up nights and weekends or not. The company claims to promote work / life balance but many departments within the organization no longer offer this benefit and instead expect long hours to ensure the work is done. The Better Health program is intrusive, ineffective, and a waste of company (member) money. Pay is not that great compared to other insurance companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are your best resource and should be treated as such. Have an actual work / life balance policy that is balanced, including alternative work schedules. Understand that being understaffed leads to disgruntled and less effective employees. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Nice place to work

BI Consultant (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsAmazing work life balance .
    No after work long hours
    Great flexibility
    Good culture
    Good People

ConsSlow growth
    Moderate salary
    Less learning , but great family life.
    er
    ret
    trd

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going

Marketing Director

Marketing Director (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsAchieved much professional while I worked here. There was so much opportunity and I enjoyed the challenge. I was compensated well for what I did.

ConsIn order to accomplish what I did, I worked many hours, including evenings and weekends. It was hard to maintain a work/life balance. The division where I worked was fast paced and though I worked hard, I didn't see any place for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider career planning for motivated associates.

Political and Average

Executive (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Pros- Benefits and work life balance

Cons- Very political, more focus on who you know versus what you do
    - Leaders are afraid to improve as they are very risk adverse and stuck in the past
    - Leaders are all in self preservation mode and are primarily driven to maintain what they have versus doing the right thing
    - Short sighted leaders with no "balls" to speak of. Great place for spineless passive aggressive individuals to thrive.
    - Old school company (publicly says all the right things but privately worships the days of the past and remind me of a high school football player who longs for the days of old )
    - Words are louder than actions - Value is placed on what you say and how you fit in versus what you do and how you perform
    - Lots of back stabbing at executive levels and a large number of disingenuous leaders
    - Massive egos at the executive ranks
    - Executives can be bought - not so much literally but figuratively. Again massive egos, if values and pride are nonexistent then the sky is the limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing more to say (smile).

neutral

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Prosgood hours and time of work

Consboring work but sometimes could be interesting

Advice to Senior Managementwork is not fulfilling. pay is average

Good Company, Bad Department

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsGood Benefits. Overtime was good with profit sharing bonus for all employees.

ConsThe salaries weren't that great. Their 401k could be better since the matching was only 50 cents to the dollar. Very stressful and management didn't help much. Claims adjuster role could be very stressful because of all the work associated with it and also with the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries need to go up for compensation of stress. Internal mobility could be improved.

I worked at Nationwide for 25 years; ten in various management positions. The last one was in Commercial Underwriting.

Commercial Underwriting Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits.
    Opportunities for advancement depending on the department/area you work in.
    Big company in many different areas of the country. If you are unhappy with your job there are many opportunities for lateral movement to another area if you have good performance reviews & can get your manager to "help" you.
    Salaries are comparable to other insurance companies

ConsNationwide used to be like a "family". It's certainly not that way anymore. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint. I preferred the "old days" when the CEO would go to everyone's desk at Christmas time to wish you a happy holiday. The CEO's used to talk to anyone in the elevators; not just the executives. Nationwide is now very political. You have to have a mentor to move up to higher levels. The purchase of Allied brought more negatives than positives. There is more backstabbing in management than there used to be. Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop moving upper level management to functional areas they have no experience in & no valuable knowledge of what their "people" do. Allied "runs" commercial & that has not been a good thing. They had no interest in promoting Nationwide people with valuable experience. Instead, inexperienced Allied employees are promoted & results suffer & morale suffers. Stop "advertising" you value work/life balance because you no longer do. Good job promoting many women to executive level positions.

Worked for Nationwide? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nationwide reviews and ratings in Columbus, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nationwide CEO Steve Rasmussen. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Nationwide employees.