Nationwide

Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 87 reviews)

• Very good benefits (they match 50% of your 401k up to 6% and also have an employer funded pension) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management talks about core values and hard work but upper management has no values (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

247 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to grow with!

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many marketing opportunities, rewarded for skills, and excellent team. I was there for 5 years and as I move through my life and my career, I realize it was one of the best experiences that helped to shape me as a marketer. Benefits are decent, better than others I have worked for.

Cons

You have to be your own advocate for growth, but opportunities are definitely there. Office culture is professional and fun. I made some friends for a lifetime there.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Specialist, IT Analysis in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Specialist, IT Analysis in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Work / Life balance
    2) Excellent learning op's
    3) very well structured IT workforce

Cons

1) Pay is not comparable to market
    2) Benefits donot match up compared to other employers of similar size.

A wonderful company that provides a good balance between work and compensation.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for more that 15 years. I like that the company has many long term employees that provides a continuity. They have a very good time off policy and my management is always good about allowing time off as needed. There are periods of frantic work and periods where work calms down. The compensation is good. It is always possible to go somewhere else for more pay, but long experience shows that many people come back or wish they could come back to the company. Other companies that compete in salary have such high demands and politics attached to the salary that it really is not worth the extra salary. Most of the time when they need to adjust staffing, they try to do reductions by attrition. It is not always possible, but I joined the company through an acquisition and I am amazed of the number of my old coworkers that are still with the company after a decade.
    I like that I have a sense of accomplishment and that I can see that I make a difference.

Cons

Nationwide can be difficult to be hired into the company. The employees in my area have been with the company for a long time and know many people in the industry. It means that they will often make sure that they notify people they know to apply for jobs. A common way to join the company is through contract staffing for a project. It then become very important during the contract position that you build relationships with coworkers.
    Relationships are very important in Nationwide. It does not mean that nepotism is rampant, but it does mean that you need to make sure you make your voice heard. If you don't build relationships your career may stagnate. There are many good managers that will help you avoid this problem, but it is good to remember you need to market your self and to help people when you can.

Benefits

Current Employee - Web Developer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

It is very friendly environment to work and the agile process is well emphasize and implemented which facilitate Team work. Lot of Holiday

Cons

There is a lot of holiday which might be disadvantage for contractor who are not paid on holiday.

Life balance and career growth

Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nationwide brings a very employee based culture to Columbus Ohio and the other locations they have offices - Des Moines, San Antonio, Sacramento, Scottsdale, Harleysville, and Raleigh. The company is very flexible so their associates are able to balance work and life priorities, while taking the time off they need to recharge. Also, development and career growth are ample here at Nationwide. I've doubled my starting salary in only 5 years and have a path ahead of me that can take me in any direction I choose. If you work hard during your time at work, you will be rewarded.

Cons

The internal politics when moving up past a G band position are extreme - so that is a choice one must make - do they want to play the politics and move up into Director and above level positions.

Fair internship

Current Employee - Business Consulting Intern in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Business Consulting Intern in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation, friendly office environment, lots of lateral movement available if desired. Worked around academic schedule.

Cons

Lots of responsibilities, saddled with high expectations after co worker departure, compensation not adjusted after increase in responsability. Lack of communication from upper management at times.

Better communication at times

Downhill since 2000

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overstaffed - I guess if you want to sit at your desk and do nothing it's a good thing? They are very overstaffed. People complain that they work hard - they have no idea of what real work looks like

Cons

Leaders - where are they?
    Floaters and Favorites
    Pay is under the market for most positions except VP roles
    VP titles given to many
    Politics
    Old school
    Behind the times
    Technology is a joke - DOS would be an improvement
    ETC

Replace leaders that have been there for years (including HR) with new leaders. Leaders that care about people and less about their personal careers.

Over worked, under paid, not appreciated.

Current Employee - Senior Licensing Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Licensing Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement, paid vacation, 401k

Cons

Micromanagement, unethical practices by HR, petty management, compensation to expectation ratio is way off wack.

Pay more attention to lower management.

Favoritism and Terrible Management and Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

PTO is great. 18 days off per year + 2 full days from volunteer time or blood donations. Made some great trusted friends along the way. Depending on the department, can have very flexible work hours. Relatively easy to move internally and gain exposure to different things.

Cons

I've encountered manager/employee favoritism in all the teams I've been in. Some teams even have 'cliques'. 'Older' team does not necessarily mean less drama. Co-workers love throwing each other under the bus, some love it more than others. Some love making others look bad to make themselves look good. This either generates or is just a result of an unhealthy competition within one's own team. Management most definitely contributes to this competitive environment. However, I've also heard of some very good teams. Do lots of discreet research before transferring internally. Might end up leaving a terrible team for an even worse one. Getting a promotion is more about how great of a salesman you are versus the quality of your work. And lastly, some managers like to talk bad about other team members when in front of another. To me that is unprofessional and degrading.

Acquire feedback from each employee and form your own opinions instead of relying on your secret 'source' (who might just be looking out for himself/herself) for opinions on others.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere , cool people

Cons

less compensation, less fun events