Nationwide

Nationwide Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen

Steve Rasmussen

Pros:
  • "The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees"
    in 58 reviews
  • "Great Company, Good Benefits, This company knows how no treat employees"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Upper management only care about saving money"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable environment that offers challenges and growth potential

Regulatory Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love the focus on doing what is right for our members. Being mutual company affords us the ability to think and act differently - having a group dedicated to continuous improvement - focus groups that foster collaboration - and front level focus on employee engagement - all create an environment of open dialog to benefit the company, business partners and our members who choose our products and services.

ConsBeing a large organization there are politics that can sway the overall focus. Having a plethora of administrative systems to run a business can be cumbersome and, at times irritating.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who our customer really is - it's not the agent or producer who sells the products, it's the member who chooses to use them. If we work in that space it will drive us to do the right things and to do things right... Every time.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Supportive colleagues, extensive community involvement, long-term career prospects.

IT Management Intern (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople oriented culture, approachable leadership, and a superb work-life balance!

ConsThings might move slow at times.

Great Opportunity For Training and Growth in the Insurance Industry!!

Call Center Sales Representative (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training, Great People, Fun Work Environment.

ConsNo signicant cons to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Absolutely phenomenal company.

Auto Claims Representative (Current Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent leadership -- they teach, coach and mentor. They are very supportive with any time off requirements/flex time. They will support you taking classes and shadowing in other departments to increase your opportunities for promotion. Encourage you to reach out in the community and volunteer and let you take time off work (paid, no vacation required) to support such causes.
Just a great company all the way around, any area you can think of, this company gets 4-5 stars.

ConsI really can't come up with any. I suppose you could make an arguement for higher salary, but for quality of life, it's pretty good. Also, I never worked in a call center environment; I'm sure you could find some cons with that area.

Pretty Good Place to Work

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall I think Nationwide is a pretty great place to work.
The benefits are competitive to other companies and are explained well.
Upper management seems to at least listen to concerns or questions when brought up.
Peers care about doing their job well and genuinely care about people.

ConsThere aren't too many cons as a company.
Communication from top down middle management may be a challenge and on occasion upper management may not know what's going on with direct reports below but that's a normal issue with any larger company.
In my department it has always been a challenge keeping up with both positive and negative attrition in the department but again it seems to be a normal situation in any company.

Great Experience

I have been working at Nationwide

ProsDecent pay for the amount of work. It was a steady job at the time. The location for work was close to home.

ConsThere are really no cons. Normal politics as is with any company but nothing outrageous occurred. Overall it was ok.

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStable company, lots of opportunities, great teams and training. Great benefits, vacation and have made lots of friends working hee

ConsChanges to work locations. Reorganizations often leave you moving to a different office, different team. Sometimes this is good and sometimes not.

A good place to start a career within such a vast company, but it's still call center work..

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros-Plenty of room to grow within the bank and even move to other parts of Nationwide
-Daily encouragement by management who is willing to work with you to improve
-Potential bonuses through credit card sales and monthly competitions

Cons-The daily life of a call center tends to grind reps down
-Reps are the lowest paid employees in the company
-Everyone starts out as a contractor

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they're doing the best with what they have.

Everyone is very nice and helpful!

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for less than a year

ProsDetailed training program
Pay differential for working non standard shifts
Fast paced work environment
Everyone is willing to help
No drama, that i have seen
Promotion within
Lots of movement, able to move to another position or department
Jeans on Thursdays and Fridays, when you have classroom training, and any other random occasion
A lot of

ConsStarting pay is a bit low compared to other insurance companies but once you are promoted the pay does go up.
Can be very hectic during certain seasons like winter and summer, a lot of employees work longer shifts to be able to handle the claim work load

Sales Agent

Sales Agent (Former Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company took care of the employee's accepting input and new ideas. The pay was great! Supervisors were very supportive, there was a very positive atmosphere.

ConsIf you start to decrease in sales they will let you go if you don't pick back up but it's easy to keep sales up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of firing seasoned agents bc they don't hit their numbers, give them a different oppurtunity within the company sense they are knowledgable.

Worked for Nationwide? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nationwide reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nationwide CEO Steve Rasmussen. All 571 reviews posted anonymously by Nationwide employees.