Nationwide

Nationwide Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen

Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees(in 73 reviews)

• Great Company, Good Benefits, This company knows how no treat employees(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management(in 26 reviews)

• Upper management only care about saving money(in 24 reviews)

Great Experience

ProsDecent pay for the amount of work. It was a steady job at the time. The location for work was close to home.

ConsThere are really no cons. Normal politics as is with any company but nothing outrageous occurred. Overall it was ok.

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsStable company, lots of opportunities, great teams and training. Great benefits, vacation and have made lots of friends working hee

ConsChanges to work locations. Reorganizations often leave you moving to a different office, different team. Sometimes this is good and sometimes not.

A good place to start a career within such a vast company, but it's still call center work..

Pros-Plenty of room to grow within the bank and even move to other parts of Nationwide
    -Daily encouragement by management who is willing to work with you to improve
    -Potential bonuses through credit card sales and monthly competitions

Cons-The daily life of a call center tends to grind reps down
    -Reps are the lowest paid employees in the company
    -Everyone starts out as a contractor

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they're doing the best with what they have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Claims Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWorking as a claims customer service representative can be stressful, but my supervisor and team members made it bearable. Awesome culture to work in.

ConsTaking claims is gets really boring after a while.

Everyone is very nice and helpful!

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsDetailed training program
    Pay differential for working non standard shifts
    Fast paced work environment
    Everyone is willing to help
    No drama, that i have seen
    Promotion within
    Lots of movement, able to move to another position or department
    Jeans on Thursdays and Fridays, when you have classroom training, and any other random occasion
    A lot of

ConsStarting pay is a bit low compared to other insurance companies but once you are promoted the pay does go up.
    Can be very hectic during certain seasons like winter and summer, a lot of employees work longer shifts to be able to handle the claim work load

AOA Helpdesk, IT service desk, Technician

Technician (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsBest reasons to work here is there is tons of room for advancement. Every person is nice and genuinely cares about one another. There is no other place that I would rather work. A lot of my previous co workers have had very positive feedback about their positions as well.

ConsThis is a terrible position. One that I have wish that I had never taken. Although I am thankful that it did introduce me to IT. The managers really have no interest in your career development, and actually prevent you from leaving because they have such a high turnover rate. The job entails taking calls about technical issues (as the job was described), but most of it is training and rarely has anything to do with troubleshooting computers. The job is underpaid compared to other similar jobs in the IT industry. There are many people leaving this department currently because it is going downhill. Employee morale is low, call volume is rising, the department is too far understaffed, and the only thing you can do is leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for upward movement, stop staffing at just an ""acceptable point"" (allow for time off, training, attending conferences, ect...), raise that pay band, hire people that are actually qualified for the position, allow working from home (it's cheaper), treat employees as adults (we are not children).

Horrible place to work.

Member Care Representative (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsUnfortunately, none. There are a lot of "Fake" pros: a free parking garage (that is located almost three blocks away) a cafeteria (that serves $5 sandwiches) a gym (that is hidden away in a completely different building)

ConsThere is zero opportunity for personal or professional growth.
    The attendance standard is very difficult to adhere to, to the point where employees show up to work incredibly sick in order to avoid getting an occurrence. The pay is not competitive with the industry standard, or even similar jobs in the Des Moines area. Work/life balance is almost non-existent as it is close to impossible to get two days off in a row, and your days off are most likely going to be during the week when the rest of your family/friends are at work. They try to force company cultures and values, without realizing that if you are trying to create a diverse company culture, just hire diversity, don't try to force it. The supporting departments rarely do their jobs, so you frequently deal with irate customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors who have supervisory experience, who actually care about the employees, not just someone to ensure that numbers are hit each month.

processor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVacation and benefits are decent

ConsNo chance to move. Favoritism big time

Ok to start here, but don't expect much

ProsCan't be fired unless you commit a crime or your department is downsized

ConsNo one gets fired. Many many incompetent people work here, including management on up. If you know the right people, you can be a horrible person with no technical skill sets, but still be promoted and well reviewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire or use current employees with actual skill. Soft skills can be taught in a 2 hour seminar, you need actual hard skills to do well.

Sluggish and timid company that is extremely loyal to employees

Instructional Designer/Editor (Former Employee)

ProsOnce you're hired, you have to commit a felony or ask to be fired. Literally. You can't be "too bad at your job" for Nationwide once they hire you on.
    Lots of resources.
    Many locations.
    Soft management style with little personal accountability.
    Company is more interested in making everyone happy than doing a great job, which takes a lot of pressure off individuals.

ConsYou'll work with a lot of people who are poor fits for their positions and managers who became managers because of education rather than leadership qualities.
    Honesty and constructive criticism are frowned upon. Touchy-feely is the way to go.
    Change happens at a monolithic, glacial pace. Even good ideas are put through the ringer for weeks (if not months) before they are put into practice.
    Once hired, people are not expected to perform at a certain level in order to keep their positions or advance within the ranks. Showing up and not committing crimes is enough to make six figures after 15 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be everyone's friend and start moving forward. Stop being afraid to fire people who are terrible at their jobs just because they've been around for 20 years. Stop hiring people as managers who have the people skills and leadership of a wet paper sack - your managers are meant to MANAGE, not stroke the egos of those with pedestrian intellects and average skill sets.

Worked for Nationwide? Contribute to the Community!