Nationwide Reviews in Des Moines, IA

Updated October 27, 2014
3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 85 reviews)

• Very good benefits (they match 50% of your 401k up to 6% and also have an employer funded pension) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management talks about core values and hard work but upper management has no values (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sweat Shop Insurance Agency at NSS

Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is competitive for the area, if you can put up with the stress.

Cons

Continuous improvement was put by the wayside to focus more on answering phones, this hinders the associates' ability to develop themselves, pushes leaders out of the company and is a short sighted solution that removes long term success and development. Treating associates as robots to pick up the phone and to imitate a local agent's service leads to burn out, associates are not passionate about answering dozens of phone calls the same way using the same call flow, this is sweat shop insurance at its finest and leads to associates making logical, yet undesirable, choices that line up with compensation. Leadership is reduced to making continual threats and arbitrary punishments for failing to meet unrealistic and conflicting goals.

Listen to the grassroots of the organization, if long term development is not a priority then you will not have leaders in the wings to promote and leverage.

Great culture with leaders who care about people

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good opportunity for advancement
    - Good benefits
    - Great people who work hard, but like to have fun
    - Current leadership has a strong grasp of the future auto insurance market and know what needs to change to be successful

Cons

- Bad leaders don't get fired, they simply get reassigned.
    - Decision making can be slow

- Keep up the good work!

Nationwide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work/life balance .
    Flexible work schedule, allow to work from home

Cons

Salary is not competitive. Slow adapt to new technologies.

Nationwide in Des Moines, IA

Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities in a big company

Cons

Your manager makes all the difference

Absolutely phenomenal company.

Current Employee - Auto Claims Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Representative in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership -- they teach, coach and mentor. They are very supportive with any time off requirements/flex time. They will support you taking classes and shadowing in other departments to increase your opportunities for promotion. Encourage you to reach out in the community and volunteer and let you take time off work (paid, no vacation required) to support such causes.
    Just a great company all the way around, any area you can think of, this company gets 4-5 stars.

Cons

I really can't come up with any. I suppose you could make an arguement for higher salary, but for quality of life, it's pretty good. Also, I never worked in a call center environment; I'm sure you could find some cons with that area.

Comfortable, with red tape and road blocks.

Current Employee - Consultant, Business Project Management in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Consultant, Business Project Management in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty relaxed atmosphere if you're not in a call center. You have the tools you need to get work done.

Cons

Shallow strategy. You're an afterthought if you're not in Columbus. Poor execution of annual MBOs and unfair bonus structure. Stingy political fiefdoms run rampant. Little upward mobility if you're unwilling to relocate.

The whole experience was terrible and they were very misleading.

Former Employee - Direct Regional Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Direct Regional Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere. Good benefits package.

Cons

Terrible scheduling. Misleading about job. Offered me the job with a great schedule and half way through training told me that i had to pick a different schedule with two terrible options that were not presented to me when I got the formal offer. HR is not helpful at all and always unorganized. They told us that you could change your schedule after 3 months and once we got through training we found that is not the case. Same with how long you have to be there before you can change jobs internally.

If the Nationwide mission statement talks about honesty and integrity you guys should try acting with some.

Great company to launch your career at!

Former Employee - Casualty Claims Specialist I in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Casualty Claims Specialist I in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging, freedom, great feed back from management, advancement opportunities, encourages continuing education.

Cons

Pay could be a little better, but not terrible compared to competitors

Keep providing the constructive feedback to your associates, it helps for career development.

Horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Member Care Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Member Care Representative in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately, none. There are a lot of "Fake" pros: a free parking garage (that is located almost three blocks away) a cafeteria (that serves $5 sandwiches) a gym (that is hidden away in a completely different building)

Cons

There is zero opportunity for personal or professional growth.
    The attendance standard is very difficult to adhere to, to the point where employees show up to work incredibly sick in order to avoid getting an occurrence. The pay is not competitive with the industry standard, or even similar jobs in the Des Moines area. Work/life balance is almost non-existent as it is close to impossible to get two days off in a row, and your days off are most likely going to be during the week when the rest of your family/friends are at work. They try to force company cultures and values, without realizing that if you are trying to create a diverse company culture, just hire diversity, don't try to force it. The supporting departments rarely do their jobs, so you frequently deal with irate customers.

Hire supervisors who have supervisory experience, who actually care about the employees, not just someone to ensure that numbers are hit each month.

Nationwide was a great place to work until your supervisor leaves...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nationwide likes to recruit young people who have little to no work experience to mold them into their ideal associate.

Cons

If you are an older associate who had worked elsewhere , it is very easy to see through the blarney and know that Nationwide is no better or worse place to work than anywhere else. My supervisor left and a new hire was brought in. The new hire can only talk about the way things were at the old company. I found out the new hire was fired from the old company. I am now a liability to the new hire. Guess I will be looking for a new job!!!!

Look very closely at your new hires coming from other companies. You may be creating new problems that were never there before.