Nationwide

Updated October 13, 2014
3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 87 reviews)

• Very good benefits (they match 50% of your 401k up to 6% and also have an employer funded pension) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management talks about core values and hard work but upper management has no values (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nationwide has a great company culture. Management truly cares that you do well and are happy.

Cons

Hard to move up. people tend to stay in position for long time.

Good company but bad supervior

Former Employee - Member Care Representative II in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Member Care Representative II in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really care about employee happiness and compensate well.

Cons

My supervisor had no idea what she was doing! She got hired in from another company that did a completely different job and she made absolutely no attempt to figure out what we did. It also worked to our benefit but was mostly frustrating when problems came up and a lot of the time they were her fault!

Make sure management knows what their employees do!

Good company and benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and they take care of there employees. Also, good job security.

Cons

Very difficult to move up, I saw several individuals take much higher paying positions at other firms, because they were no longer willing to wait for Nationwide to promote them. People become complacent, not a firm where there is a lot of initiative, more of a 9-5 firm, show up and put your time in and leave.

Look to your lower ranks, there are many people who take a certain position due to circumstance and are being hired away from your firm because you don't look within your own ranks for qualified candidates.

Good Job and great management with opportunities to move up

Current Employee - Member Care Representative II in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Member Care Representative II in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management is concerned about your career. If you look for opportunities to move your career forward, they'll help and offer tips to get you to your goal. The pay is competitive, and they'll work with you to make sure that you find a good fit in the company.

Cons

This job doesn't have much downtime. At times you'll be hard pressed to find any breath between calls. While they do try to help you move up in your career, it's still difficult to move up when you don't have the time to find other opportunities within the company.

Keep up the good work!

AOA Helpdesk, IT service desk, Technician

Current Employee - Technician in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Technician in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here is there is tons of room for advancement. Every person is nice and genuinely cares about one another. There is no other place that I would rather work. A lot of my previous co workers have had very positive feedback about their positions as well.

Cons

This is a terrible position. One that I have wish that I had never taken. Although I am thankful that it did introduce me to IT. The managers really have no interest in your career development, and actually prevent you from leaving because they have such a high turnover rate. The job entails taking calls about technical issues (as the job was described), but most of it is training and rarely has anything to do with troubleshooting computers. The job is underpaid compared to other similar jobs in the IT industry. There are many people leaving this department currently because it is going downhill. Employee morale is low, call volume is rising, the department is too far understaffed, and the only thing you can do is leave.

Create opportunities for upward movement, stop staffing at just an ""acceptable point"" (allow for time off, training, attending conferences, ect...), raise that pay band, hire people that are actually qualified for the position, allow working from home (it's cheaper), treat employees as adults (we are not children).

My experience at Nationwide has been very informational.

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The different types of people that I have met throughout my time at Nationwide Insurance and relationships I have built have been very professional, business oriented and respectful.

Cons

Advacement is very tough if you are searching for position outside of your consentration.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - P/C Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - P/C Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Diversity and Inclusion, Management, Opportunities to advance

Cons

Unorganized, Schedule, Pay, Problematic systems, Training

Associate Vice President - retired

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people - when I say that I'm referring to boots on the ground. Executives are very hands on.

Cons

Senior leadership wants to be part of every decision even ones that don't impact them or their area of responsibility. Once you reach a certain age efforts to convince you to move on are obvious - primarily at the C suite level. Executive compensation is focused on VP level and above. Performance management includes a very subjective forced ranking system - if your connected you will be rated hig regardless of your contribution to short and long term goals.

Overall, it was a good company to work for, but it was not easy to advance in my case.

Former Employee - IT Analyst Service Desk Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - IT Analyst Service Desk Analyst in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many perks and benefits available once you are hired on. Vacation time, health insurance, performance bonuses, and training is available.

Cons

The performance metrics in place are not always applicable to the kind of issues the support desk faced, And why did we offer a survey only if we fixed the agent's issue? That would slant the survey to a more favorable job performance and not what they may have actually thought.

Remember we have lives, trials and tribulations away from the job, and we cannot go at 100% all the time

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH

I worked at Nationwide as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy Going, Weekends off, Very good management. Coworkers and management really seem to care about each other, and even small roles feel important

Cons

schedule anytime between 8am-8pm, no matter what you have said is your preference. Difficult to get time off. No face to face interaction with customers, a lot of questions/ transactions had to be moved along to other departments leaving the customer and the rep feeling helpless at times.