Nationwide

Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 87 reviews)

• Very good benefits (they match 50% of your 401k up to 6% and also have an employer funded pension) (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management talks about core values and hard work but upper management has no values (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - Specialist, IT Analysis in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Specialist, IT Analysis in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Work / Life balance
    2) Excellent learning op's
    3) very well structured IT workforce

Cons

1) Pay is not comparable to market
    2) Benefits donot match up compared to other employers of similar size.

Great Company and People

Current Employee - NSS Agent in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - NSS Agent in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

They invest a lot in every hire to train
    They give very competitive base and great commission
    Everyone is positive and looks to help each other
    Will take the time to see where you fit best

Cons

Currently they have not shown anything that they did not tell me I could expect during interview.

Great company to grow with!

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many marketing opportunities, rewarded for skills, and excellent team. I was there for 5 years and as I move through my life and my career, I realize it was one of the best experiences that helped to shape me as a marketer. Benefits are decent, better than others I have worked for.

Cons

You have to be your own advocate for growth, but opportunities are definitely there. Office culture is professional and fun. I made some friends for a lifetime there.

A wonderful company that provides a good balance between work and compensation.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for the company for more that 15 years. I like that the company has many long term employees that provides a continuity. They have a very good time off policy and my management is always good about allowing time off as needed. There are periods of frantic work and periods where work calms down. The compensation is good. It is always possible to go somewhere else for more pay, but long experience shows that many people come back or wish they could come back to the company. Other companies that compete in salary have such high demands and politics attached to the salary that it really is not worth the extra salary. Most of the time when they need to adjust staffing, they try to do reductions by attrition. It is not always possible, but I joined the company through an acquisition and I am amazed of the number of my old coworkers that are still with the company after a decade.
    I like that I have a sense of accomplishment and that I can see that I make a difference.

Cons

Nationwide can be difficult to be hired into the company. The employees in my area have been with the company for a long time and know many people in the industry. It means that they will often make sure that they notify people they know to apply for jobs. A common way to join the company is through contract staffing for a project. It then become very important during the contract position that you build relationships with coworkers.
    Relationships are very important in Nationwide. It does not mean that nepotism is rampant, but it does mean that you need to make sure you make your voice heard. If you don't build relationships your career may stagnate. There are many good managers that will help you avoid this problem, but it is good to remember you need to market your self and to help people when you can.

Amazing

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

The people, they really care about others, their job and your opinion really matters. Going from different departments, the training has stayed consistently amazing, you know a lot of what you are doing. The tools are available to do your job, your not just a number your a person. Coffee shop, gym, parking garage, pension, 401K, vacation time, FMLA, paid maternity leave, and you feel like it's your home.

Cons

Sometimes going home, is the hardest thing because you will enjoy going to work. The most negative thing is, it takes about 4 years to be fully invested in your pension,

None

Benefits

Current Employee - Web Developer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

It is very friendly environment to work and the agile process is well emphasize and implemented which facilitate Team work. Lot of Holiday

Cons

There is a lot of holiday which might be disadvantage for contractor who are not paid on holiday.

Great company. Benefits hurt by Obamacare.

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, especially the corporate offices. Company values people of all groups.

Cons

The non-Columbus companies are not treated well. Career opportunities are poor outside of Columbus

Fun place to work for, only left since the drive was out of my way.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

Fun environment, easy tasks for the most part, friendly employees. Management was helpful but mostly out of the way.

Cons

Some dead time, dealing with mostly irate customers, sitting down a lot isn't really my thing.

Life balance and career growth

Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nationwide brings a very employee based culture to Columbus Ohio and the other locations they have offices - Des Moines, San Antonio, Sacramento, Scottsdale, Harleysville, and Raleigh. The company is very flexible so their associates are able to balance work and life priorities, while taking the time off they need to recharge. Also, development and career growth are ample here at Nationwide. I've doubled my starting salary in only 5 years and have a path ahead of me that can take me in any direction I choose. If you work hard during your time at work, you will be rewarded.

Cons

The internal politics when moving up past a G band position are extreme - so that is a choice one must make - do they want to play the politics and move up into Director and above level positions.

Good company

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

management, Work life balance, Time off, and general compensation

Cons

Leaderships inability to recognize and reward talent. Too many layers of upper management. Lay-offs.