Nationwide Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 73 reviews)

• Great Company, Good Benefits, This company knows how no treat employees (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management only care about saving money (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Friendly enviorment

I have been working at Nationwide

Pros

The environment is very engaging and people are very friendly

Cons

Call center environment, can be very busy and stress full

Great Company to work for, terrible supervisor

Former Employee - National Direct Sales Agent  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - National Direct Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I made a lot of money in sales. Lots of different opportunities. Great place for volunteering and different groups to be a part of.

Cons

When they hired new supervisors they hired their buddies and golf partners rather than competent people who really cared about the job and the agents.

Hire management based on what they put into the department, not their golf score and political views.

I wish I was still working there.

Former Employee - IT Analyst - Windows 7 Migration  in  Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst - Windows 7 Migration in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Worked in an IT environment/department. Very intelligent people and friendly - even with the 'laid-back' atmosphere. My contract expired, but I wish I was hired full time.

Cons

Too many recruiter/contract positions in IT. They really do not much full time hiring that I could see. The training was lackadaisical and I think it was that they had a Windows 7 Migration deadline, so they wanted to get as many techs moving as possible.

Spend more time training to have the employees receive better results (and sooner).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Call Center

Current Employee - Member Care Representative II  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Member Care Representative II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

New Facility, 15% shift differential, onsite cafeteria

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Laid back yet enriching

Former Employee - IT Consultant and Project Management  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - IT Consultant and Project Management in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed, employee centric organization with a perfect work-life balance

Cons

Not a challenging environment for consulting type roles

Hire more fresh graduates

review

I have been working at Nationwide as an intern

Pros

pretty to work as an intern

Cons

do not hire you directly

Good experience working at Nationwide

I worked at Nationwide

Pros

Many opportunities to advance your career

Cons

Long hours for many departments

Great experience is you like project work.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Home and life balance is ideal.

Cons

Very political and difficult for vertical advancement.

Step down if your not qualified.

Good company to work for overall.

Current Employee - Attorney  in  Delaware, OH
    Current Employee - Attorney in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Nationwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and generous vacation time. Executive management is good. Middle management is inconsistent

Cons

Limited opportunity for upward mobility in certain departments.

Great potential, but management really got away from the corporate values

Former Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Nationwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Very good benefits (they match 50% of your 401k up to 6% and also have an employer funded pension). Health/Dental/Vision options are good as well.
    -Work/life balance is really good. Managers are flexible with doctor appointments, family emergencies, etc.
    -PTO is accrued, which is a great benefit for people who do not get sick or have a lot of unscheduled absences. 18.5 days off to start and after 5 + years that increases to 23.5 days.
    -Opportunity to work CAT duty during storms or heavy claim periods, which gives you a chance to make extra money.
    -They do a good job of focusing on employee engagement by planning special events and activities.
    -Very strong training across the board. Both internally and externally, this is an organizational strength. Felt like I was given the knowledge and tools to do my job well.
    -A lot of really good people work there. Formed a lot of great relationships.
    -Really good teamwork overall within the office. There were plenty of people who would pass the buck and take the easy way out, but for the most part the entire office worked together really well. Felt like you could ask others for help or if you had questions.
    -Job security is great. People will always be getting into accidents and having claims, so as long as you are doing your job to an adequate level, there isn't much threat of losing your job.

Cons

-Difficult to move up within claims organization and in general. Even getting promoted to the next title within your department is an uphill battle. Even with very good results, it takes entirely too long. A lot of people would move companies to simply get a raise. As a result, we would lose a lot of good employees and it would require everyone else to take on extra work to pick up the slack.
    -Very clear that upper management plays favorites. Saw people who did not deserve promotions, consistently moving up.
    -End of year performance evaluations are completely unfair and borderline unethical. Mentality within upper management almost seems like they are trying to keep people down and in their current roles. If you have over 80 employees, someone in the department has to be a 5 (on a scale of 1-5). When this scale was established I was not aware of any 5's and very few 4's over the course of several years. Everyone seemed to fall into the 2 to 3 category, outside of a few people who got a 4 and then the very bottom performers who would be a 1.
    -Pay is OK. If you want to be paid more, you have to actively seek it out (meaning getting another job offer and asking them to match or putting pressure on them to leave).
    -Not much opportunity to work from home outside of during snow storms or adverse weather. This job can easily be done from home and they could probably create a more loyal workforce by being flexible and giving people the autonomy to work from home occasionally.
    -They are very customer focused, which is obviously a good thing. However, they would only take 1 or 2 surveys a month from hundreds of customers that you might interact with. So it was pretty much luck of the draw when it came to your customer service scores. This was a large part of performance reviews and for a lot of people it was pretty unfair. On a scale from 1-10, you needed to be at a 9 or higher to really have any chance to get a better raise, promotion, good review, etc. And most of these surveys are on people that were injured by a Nationwide insured. As a result, it can be difficult to get good scores. Metrics are a bit skewed and used against you when they want to and then not really used in your favor when they are strong.

This really has potential to be a great place to work. I felt like when I first started that I would be there my entire career and I was extremely loyal, maybe almost to a fault as things started to go downhill in the Raleigh office with leadership. It felt like corporate (in Columbus, Ohio) was unaware of what was going on for a while. It wasn't until they started to look at the amount of turnover that they realized something was wrong. At that time, they started to promote a few people, but overall the damage was done. The revolving door had been opened and it sounds like the turnover has continued at a pretty rampant pace.

I feel Nationwide taught me a lot good working habits/values that I will carry with me in the future. Office culture is great and the people as a whole are some of the best people that I have ever met. I still have Nationwide Insurance despite no longer being with the company and would keep it, because the company and claims department has a strong set of values.

Unfortunately, a lot of really quality employees are not taken care of and as a result have left the company. The performance evaluations are weighted very heavily when you try to apply for other jobs internally. It's really the only way managers from other departments and regions can try to measure you against other applicants. The ratings seemed very shortsighted and they failed to realize that by trying to keep employees in their current role, they were eventually going to run the risk of losing them. The smart thing to do would be to promote appropriately and thus the newer employees will see that example and strive to produce strong results as well. Instead, the turnover that has taken place has caused a lot of senior/experienced adjusters to leave and has left the newer ones to carry the burden.

As a whole, I believe that Nationwide is a great company. I hate to judge my entire time there by a couple of bad apples in leadership. The highest level of leadership is using their job as a stepping stone and seems out of touch with the front-line staff. The director levels of leadership seem to be more worried about the bottomline, as opposed to standing up for their employees. Manager levels were very strong and seemed to care about the employees.

Worked for Nationwide? Contribute to the Community!