Nationwide

Updated August 18, 2014

3.6

Nationwide CEO & Director Steve Rasmussen
Steve Rasmussen

Pros
  • The work life balance was better than average, especially for non-salaried employees (in 73 reviews)

• Great Company, Good Benefits, This company knows how no treat employees (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management only care about saving money (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Its Eh

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Very competitive personal lines policies ( in Pittsburgh)

Cons

Financial Products are not competitive, handcuff agents on marketing, low commission. They think their agency value prop is going to keep them in business.... its not. Agencies are going to be extinct within 20 years if brick and mortar companies like nationwide don't change.

Its insurance, it hasn't changed in 2000 years, its not gonna change now. No Advice

Change of plans

Current Employee - Quality Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in San Antonio, TX

Pros

When I first came to Nationwide, it was suppose to be temporary. I had a plan to complete my Criminology degree and go into probation. Through the last five years Nationwide has not only made me a better leader, it had made me a better person. Nationwide has been a huge factor in the completion of my degree through its tuition reimbursement program. Nationwide has helped develop as a leader as well. Through the development opportunities available, I have obtained leadership skills that I have been able to take outside the workplace and help incorporate them into helping develop leaders at my place of worship. Through its health benefits and interest in their employee well being I have been able to overcome personal opportunities, such as my Diabetes. After 7 years of being diagnosed with diabetes, in November of 2013 I was now under the controlled diabetes category.

Cons

I believe the pay is good and completive in the field, but I would like to see bigger annual bonuses.

My years at Nationwide were some of the very best of my life.

Former Employee - Associate Agent  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Agent in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Nationwide offers wonderful corporate support. They hire good people that work hard. The benefits are as good as you are going to see anywhere. Time off policies are normal. They always seem to offer adequate training and encouraged personal and professional growth/

Cons

Depending on your position you must work in a cubicle environment. There are some very young managers and so you need to be able to be OK with that.

I have no current advice for management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, slow to adapt to new technologies

Pros

work-life balance, paid training, opportunities for continual training, management that listens and seems to care, solid benifits

Cons

slow to adapt to new technologies, over cautious

new management seems to be on the right track.

I worked at Nationwide for 25 years; ten in various management positions. The last one was in Commercial Underwriting.

Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Commercial Underwriting Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great benefits.
    Opportunities for advancement depending on the department/area you work in.
    Big company in many different areas of the country. If you are unhappy with your job there are many opportunities for lateral movement to another area if you have good performance reviews & can get your manager to "help" you.
    Salaries are comparable to other insurance companies

Cons

Nationwide used to be like a "family". It's certainly not that way anymore. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint. I preferred the "old days" when the CEO would go to everyone's desk at Christmas time to wish you a happy holiday. The CEO's used to talk to anyone in the elevators; not just the executives. Nationwide is now very political. You have to have a mentor to move up to higher levels. The purchase of Allied brought more negatives than positives. There is more backstabbing in management than there used to be. Workloads are often not manageable & work/life balance doesn't exist especially in management.

Stop moving upper level management to functional areas they have no experience in & no valuable knowledge of what their "people" do. Allied "runs" commercial & that has not been a good thing. They had no interest in promoting Nationwide people with valuable experience. Instead, inexperienced Allied employees are promoted & results suffer & morale suffers. Stop "advertising" you value work/life balance because you no longer do. Good job promoting many women to executive level positions.

Fun and comfortable place to work

Pros

Very open and collaborative corporate environment

Cons

When work is busy its extremely busy, when work is slow its extremely slow.

Stronger channels to promote employee growth and learning through collaboration

State Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Some flexibility with field work. Salary and company car with many jobs

Cons

Fair amount of goofballs in charge. They want you to move to get a promotion. Men are paid way more. I could never move due to my husbands line of work and I would never have moved past lower-mid management. Nickel and dime the employees. Spend too much on corporate travel...pay your people.

Stop promoting people simply because they will move 10 times...it limits the brain share in upper management

Sr. Developer,Java

Pros

People are Awesome. Great Benefits. Great communication.

Cons

Pay. Hard to get noticed.

Great

Pros

Opportunities, culture, people, values, advancement

Cons

Politics, pay, some office culture, gossipy

i loved my job here

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Associate  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

Pros

great pay and i loved the people i worked with

Cons

there are no cons i can say. great place to work

Worked for Nationwide? Contribute to the Community!