Nationwide Studios Reviews

Patricia Asp

1. Wish it had been better

Former Employee - Photographer, Booker, Passer in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Photographer, Booker, Passer in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom...on a leash... Working with some really awesome kids and families. Parents crying when they see my portraits or my photographers portraits, asking my how I got their child to smile, because "no one has ever gotten my child to smile like this before!"

Cons

The H/O as a whole. CEO telling us every week at mandatory phone meetings to utilize the home office only to have them never answer the phone and leave the field hanging looking like morons. Field employees doing the brunt of the work with no support. Constantly getting yelled at by parents and directors after calling the H/O customer service line themselves and getting told something or ignored and taking out on me. Getting ignored by my "support team" FSS or whatever it's called this month. Lack of training and requests for further training when wearing all three hats. With all the changes they are making to the core program, I'd be surprised if this company is still around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

Grow Up. Quit making silly H/O videos and forcing us to watch them. Tighten up your ship. Take care of ALL of your employees, not just the ones you see every day. You'd be surprised how much more productivity you'd get out of people when they feel appreciated and valued.

2. photographer

Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time

Pros

Loved working with my clients. The job was fun and no two days are exactly the same. Equipment was supplied and good support team backing you up.

Cons

Long days and alot of physical labor. The pay does not match the amount of work. Put tons of wear and tear and miles on your vehicle With very little reimbursement. No true milage paid.

Advice to Management

Better pay for the field. Pay base plus commission would be a good start. There is a disconnect from the home office to the field.

3. Company Just Sold for the Second Time

Former Employee - Team Leader, Photographer
    Former Employee - Team Leader, Photographer

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the children and my clients.

Cons

Field workers get NO benefits; over the years I've burnt out 5 vehicles with all of the driving and wear and tear hauling equipment. Virtually no compensation for vehicle use. I worked on average 10-12 hours a day. I worked most of Saturday and part of Sunday. 100% commission but company literally breathes down your back with endless WebEx meetings, conference calls, etc. I worked for them over 20 years and never received a paid vacation, although the home office managers and workers get paid vacation. For control purposes you are considered an employee but reimbursed and treated like a sub-contractor. Paid for my own health insurance, no matching 401K or stock option incentives. Bonuses were eliminated years ago.

Advice to Management

All of the money went to the "top" managers who did nothing but drive the company into a financial ditch; was a viable company until sold to investment group. Now another owner has taken over; good luck!

5. The investment company that owned them finalky sold it off

Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people on the local team, fun working with the kids

Cons

Long hours , low pay, 100%commission, office workers salary, and they treated the photographers as expendable.

Advice to Management

Should have treated the photographers better, instead of wasting money on hiring and training new people the company was bleeding money.

6. Account Representative

Former Employee - Account Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Except if you happen to be someone just looking for something to do to deal with boredom of some kind.

Cons

Unrealistic quotas that cannot possibly be met. Strictly commission based on sales at daycare centers and preschools. You have to buy your own gas and drive hundreds of miles for little commission.

Advice to Management

Get real.

7. Supplemental Income

Former Employee - Composite Generator in Goodlettsville, TN
    Former Employee - Composite Generator in Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like working behind the scenes with little customer interaction and with images and digital production then you would like this job.

Cons

32 hours is considered full time. Seasonal lay-offs and low pay. This would be a great job if only for supplemental income.

Poverty wages for FT work

Current Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nationwide Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High quality camera gear and setup is provided. Training for photographers on how to work with kids.

Cons

Employee pay is 100% commission. High expectations for the rate of compensation. Earn 8% commission on sales, no base pay. All of the risk is put on employees. Misc. chargebacks take big bite out of pay. Commission pay translates to 10-15 hour days doing administration, customer care, photography, editing and travel to/from jobsite. Mileage, gas, tolls to/from schools is unpaid. Paystubs are not issued with checks. Commissions are withheld without explanation. "Mandatory" training and conferences are unpaid.

Advice to Management

Comply with local employment laws.

Just don't do it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Nash, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Nash, TN

I worked at Nationwide Studios (More than a year)

Pros

If you love kids then that is the only pro available.

Cons

You will need another source of income. Long hours and no benefits. Not a lot of room to be creative .

Advice to Management

Pay your people. It is way too much work for the amount of pay that's given. AND FIX YOUR EMPLOYEE SERVER! It is forever down.

Photographer/Consultant position

Former Employee - Photographer/Consultant
    Former Employee - Photographer/Consultant

I worked at Nationwide Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

kids you photograph are cute. you're very independent.

Cons

There is a lot of work involved. You'll average 10 hour days. There is a lot of driving, mileage is compensated differently. There is a TON of paper work and process involved. You need to be VERY organized and stay on top of your work, it's easy to fall behind. High energy and playfulness needed to be successful photographing infants - preschoolers. This is not necessarily a CON but if it's not who you are it can be very draining. Commission pay. You never know what you pay will be like.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training when it comes to PASSING. There is so much information that PASSER needs to know besides just selling. Manuals and videos are great, but it needs to be updated and a knowledge base needs to be created where the information easier to find.

Can't earn a living - Would be a great job if they paid their employees

Current Employee - Photographer/Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Photographer/Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Nationwide Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides you with professional gear (camera, lights, backdrops, etc.) of the highest quality. Flexible schedules, but extremely busy during fall and spring seasons.

Cons

Straight commission. Requires 13 hour per day and weekend commitment. Typical day: 6:30 am set up at school - lug entire studio set up, three trips back and forth from car. Shoot anywhere from 15 to 100 kids with NO assistance. It would be good if this were a "part time gig" but it's not possible to do this job part-time. After shoot there's editing, data entry, and uploading but there's never time after shoot to accomplish this because there's another school to get to sell the photos you'd shot two weeks earlier. The "selling" process is so cumbersome - horrible. Most photographers/sales consultants work 13 to 16 hour days in season.

Advice to Management

Too many "old-timers" in management who like to do things the "old way" while they could be investing in new technology to enhance productivity and workflows so that photographers/consultants can earn a living. The turnover at this company is unbelievable - very poor retention. I've seen 100% turnover in photographer role.

RSS Feed </> Embed