Natural England

Natural England Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Natural England CEO Dave Webster

Dave Webster

Package, box production and TPM supervisor.

Package Supervisor (Former Employee) Willcox, AZ

ProsBonus yearly payment, health and life insurance and produce benefit for employees.

ConsDid not pay bonus, Company location, monthly payment system and extended job hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn this level of administration requires scholarship people, but in this case they did not. This limited our professional development.

A handy temp job, but poor management and pay.

Support Adviser (Current Employee)

ProsVery flexible hours so you can fit appointments etc around work without having to use up holiday entitlements and can come and go as you please. This is good for me as I am currently taking driving lessons and can work my hours around my awkward bus timetable in the meantime. They hire a lot of young people on temporary contracts, enabling them to get office experience and something on their CV, even if this does come with a huge caveat as I elaborate upon in the cons.

ConsMy temporary contract means I am essentially a low-paid workhorse. My job is one of the most involved parts of the customer services department, but I am on the lowest pay. Higher paid employees on permanent contracts they secured decades ago often do far less for much higher pay. The work load is also terribly inconsistent as they hire too many temps for the work and so we end up with dry periods of little work to go around. For a government agency, it's shocking that they work around the temporary worker regulations by having the agency as the employer instead of Natural England. The agency can set whatever wage they want and so I am paid less than the minimum for permanent employees of the same grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the nuts and bolts of your employees jobs. It's really not good that employees paid a fraction of your wage know more about the functioning of the department because you haven't touched the basic admin stuff since you rose through the ranks. Also, when it's patently obvious a member of staff isn't pulling their weight, do something about it.

a shocking use of public money

Support Adviser (Current Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Prosit was a very relaxed environment, in that work wear was quite casual food was commonly consumed at desks while working and the people were all lovely - also the flexible working times were fantastic

Consi was brought on in the November on a 5 month temp contract to create some dossiers, as one of the quickest and hardest workers I was dismayed to have had been overlooked for a chance of a permanent position. Also the compiling of the dossiers was completed at the end of January and after a month of finding "busy work" for members of our temp team, we were then told they had more important things to do than find work for us - so just to keep ourselves occupied and we'd be compensated for our wasted time

Advice to Senior Managementconsider using the resources you have available to the best of your ability and not dismiss the hours available to you due to it being "too difficult" to find additional work for hard and efficient workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a wide range of enviromental issues to learn and deal with

Environmental Adviser (Current Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

Prosmeet with wide range of public, learning opportunities, a wide range of enviromental issues to learn and deal with, good pension although that is getting worse under David Cameron

Consadministration, lots of time spent at computer, some people have jobs concerned with measuring performance rather than being public facing, putting pressure on the latter

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many tasks, too little time to manage staff

The work was often disjointed and not linked to similar projects within the organisation

Specialist (Former Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working arrangements. The people working care about doing a good job, and are very supportive towards each other. The company makes every effort to ensure its staff have a good workign environment.

ConsA hugely bloated organisation with no real well defined direction and very limited powers. The company expanded massively under a government intent on getting everyone employed in the public sector, which gave NE a masive sense of its own importance, as it decided it wanted to become a government department as opposed to an advisory body.

Far too much management speak from senior managers. 95% of the work is just a box ticking exercise.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not place the talent in your employees into silos. Just because some people work in one department, they often have cross-cutting expertise in another.

Worked for Natural England? Contribute to the Community!