Natural History Museum (UK) Reviews

Reset
3.7
Sir Michael Dixon
1 Rating

1. Great people, Great place!

Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England (UK)

Pros

I never worked in such a great place, lovely people and great atmosphere making me look forward to going to work everyday. I find that all the managers a very approachable and always available to speak and discuss all your problems/worries as well as advice you on the best steps to take to progress towards your career. For all this years, I was always provided with the possibility of progression as well as training based on all the supported applications and day to day work.

Cons

The only con I find is that the salaries and benefits could be improved, but that can be the same in all the jobs.

2. Great place for a short term job to boost your CV but don't stay as you will not progress

Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great building, wonderful collections

Cons

Pressure to earn your keep prevents you from doing your core job. Stressful, low pay, very few chances for promotion, which is dependent on how you 'fit in'. Not very diverse workforce except for those in contracted out jobs who are in even lower paid jobs with very poor employment rights/benefits

Advice to Management

Sort out promotion, evaluate all the changes, pay fair rates, cut the steeply rising top pay to individual contractees (senior managers), cut the consultants & don't compromise your values by taking money from anyone.

3. Varied, challenging and unique place to work

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time

Pros

The people here have a high drive for quality science. There is a strong training and development culture and a good work/life balance encouraged.

Cons

Lots of different views on every topic and project. Can be difficult to make quick progress on projects. Leading in some areas but behind in others.

Advice to Management

Look after the good people, and work on the key processes.

5. Work hard, be ignored, get paid nothing.

Current Employee - Information Technologist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Information Technologist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some truly great people, really nice. And the building and location are wonderful, you get free access to everything here, and across most other London museums. Once your'e in, unless you do something catastrophically bad, it's a secure job for life.

Cons

Along with the nice people, you'll be working with some of the most incompetent and bitter people I've ever met. The managers, of which there are many, are paranoid and scared and so spend all the time they have trying to secure their positions. It's a public sector job, in a large institution, and so you can hide here while not doing anything. And that shows, because most people here work maybe 20% of the time, and browse Youtube for the rest. You'll start off full of energy and passion, but it'll leak away as you have to tow the line and produce sub-standard work in order to be on brand. The only way you can last here is to be either useless, or not care at all for what you do.

Advice to Management

Reduce your numbers by 75%, learn what management means, trust the people who do the work, stop hiring in contractors to do work we don't need done, we don't have time to keep fixing it. Train your staff, that does not mean buying books or sending them on vanilla courses meant for human resource teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed