Nautica Enterprises
www.nautica.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Nautica Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Nautica Enterprises – Hershey – “Nautica store”

Nautica Enterprises Chairman and CEO, John Varvatos John Varvatos

John Varvatos

Good place to work

Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee)
    New Haven, CT

ProsGood benefits and great Regional Managers

ConsI was laid-off due to economy

Great Place

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Foley, AL

ProsThe employees were great to work with.

ConsProviding great customer service to horrible customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow loyalty to your people.

Until a few and management choices were made, the best place to work in the Apparel Industry.

Sales Lead (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-Originally very hands on Senior Management teams.
    -Very strong brand recognition, and a leader in the Menswear space.
    -Legacy of leadership.

Cons-Systematically eliminated so many great people who made the company great, trying to improve the bottom line by cutting expenses.
    -Extremely dated creative and merchandising. It's like the idea spigot got turned off in 2008.
    -Shoddy Senior management who rely on cronies to create an Ivory tower atmosphere.
    -Vitriolic, toxic leadership by middle management creates Zero associate loyalty.
    -So many people there are haunted by the Company Nautica once was, yet after so many Mis-steps the eventual demise is always just over the horizon.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new Senior Executives, and Divisional leaders, and start over.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In deep denial

(Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Most people are very nice, the upper managements needs work.

ConsCorporate spending is all over the place. They should spend on salaries and developing brand recognition. Instead they spend a lot of money on useless marketing initiatives.

No collaboration between departments. The development of a team culture is deeply needed.

HR department does not listen to complaints of harassment everything is swept under the rug. They also promote people and do not increase their compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at proper ROI for what appear to be great marketing initiatives. This company has so much potential but only listening to ideas of the president or VP's will not get you anywhere.

Improve salaries across the board to get the best out of your employees. Also provide employees with a sound board to get their ideas heard.

Provide stock options for employees.

Watch your HR department they do not listen to complaints of harassment everything is swept under the rug. They also promote people and do not increase their compensation.

Good balance of hours and social life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros40% off, they usually hire good workers. It's a dollar above minimum wage not too bad. No incentive to sell.

ConsManagement is lacking, and there is no room to move up. Also they have a quota you must reach but you get no commision.

A company that values their customers

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Commerce, GA

ProsWhat i like about this company is that they make their employees feel valued.

Consworking weekends is very difficult for myself.

It is great

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAlot of different discounts to various department stores

ConsBusy but thats in almost every retail store

Nautica was a great place to work

Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMaking my own schedule. Traveling and the pay was good.

ConsI was laid off because of the economy

Great Potential

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Fort Collins, CO

ProsThe company has been undergoing a rebranding over the past several years, truly trying to find it's place in the modern market. Embracing tradition, while forging into the future has been a great asset to the past 2 years of consistent organic growth. The potential the company is great and the risk is minimal with its backing by VF Corporation. Corporate structure is finally tenured, knowledgeable and has a vision for future growth. Very flexible and open to internal suggestions regarding any facet of the business from HR policies to merchandising/design considerations.
    Overall Nautica is a great place to work. I find myself genuinely enjoying coming to work, despite the tasks that await, mostly because I know we are all working together towards a common goal -- growing our brand and our stores.

ConsMinimal store expansion. 2 stores opened in 2013. Website was a disaster until recent update made it more efficient and usable. Many of the computers systems both at HQ and in stores are badly in need of updating and loyalty program is drastically needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expansion to areas which aren't as obvious. Continue upgrading systems, modernize with a LRT/Ipad for in-store use, implement a brand loyalty program. Increase marketing reach beyond top doors, consider remodel of older doors.

I loved the company and the culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great place to have a first job out of college. With it being such a large company you really learn the corporate america structure in a relaxed environment. I would highly recommend this company to people.

ConsI really do not have any negatives for the time that I spent at Nautica. I really liked the people and everyone that was around me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Nautica Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nautica Enterprises reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nautica Enterprises CEO John Varvatos. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Nautica Enterprises employees.