Nautilus Reviews

Updated July 8, 2014
2.8

Nautilus CEO Bruce M. Cazenave
Bruce M. Cazenave

Fun company culture... depending on your location.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Nautilus encourages and supports employees who want to live a healthy lifestyle. The corporate headquarters in Vancouver WA has a very nice on-site gym (free for employees + family members) and vending machines that have healthy snack options. Employees who work at the Vancouver location can participate in several (free) activities like kickball, hood-to-coast/Portland-to-coast, Tough Mudder, weight loss and fitness challenges, and BBQs.

Most (but not all) of the positions in the company have decent/competitive pay. The benefits package is good, but not great (partially paid by employee), but the 401k match is very generous.

The company usually promotes from within, so there is opportunity to grow within the company.

They currently have the best CEO and executive management team of any company I've ever worked for.

Casual attire is a nice perk. Jeans are acceptable for most departments/positions.

Good location... easy to get to and within walking distance to several stores and restaurants.

Cons

Some departments have cliques and make you feel like you're back in high school, meaning if you fit in you will enjoy work and will probably advance/get promoted. But, if you don't "fit it" you will not get promoted, no matter how good or qualified you are for the job. This is not just my personal opinion, it's a well known fact and talked about openly amongst employees.

Job satisfaction may depend on your location. The Portland, Oregon location (the company's distribution facility) does not have the same culture as the Vancouver, WA (corporate headquarters) location. Employees at the Portland location don't have an opportunity to participate in most of the activities with the Vancouver employees. The Portland location is mostly all work, no play/no fun. Also, the Portland location has a lot of mandatory overtime, including many weekends and holidays. Definitely not family oriented or work/life balance.

Most employees at the Vancouver location sit in small windowless cubicles.

H.R. should listen to employees when they say there's a problem. When employees raise red-flags about a specific manager or supervisor, it should be taken seriously. The high turnover in some departments could be significantly reduced by listening and acting upon employee feedback.

Struggling but great company

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

Relational interaction positive, lively fun culture.

Cons

Many financial ups and downs while they get their feet back on the ground.

Analalyst

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

Supply chain analyst not a bad job but no promotion oppertunities. Has a nice gym and good benefits a plus

Cons

working for a complany that has disvalued 10 x over the last 5 year is hard limied promotion advancanments avaliable

Leadership is so disconnected; company of mediocres

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, flex-time, community involvement, employee discount on products, good benefits, bonus

Cons

Poor leadership, no career growth, no career growth

Listen to your employees in the trenches... just don't get fooled by the BS fed by the middle mgmt.
    Empower the people who really care - and fire the yes-men... they are hurting you...
    Anyone who opens his mouth is fired - why? Create an environment of healthy information exchange and promote exchange of ideas...

Has potential but it's like going back to High School

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Overall good company and ok management. A handful of people are very friendly and do their best to encourage an open, fun culture. The work they do in the community is one of their strongest pros.

Cons

It's very much about who you know there. Personal relationships between employees and management was noticeable and discouraging. A good work/life balance is talked about but rarely supported in some departments.

Pay more attention to the relationships management has certain employees and stop rewarding favoritism.

Great commission, but a very hostile environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best commission I ever made was working at Nautilus as a Sales Professional. They did not micro manage you and you can build up your own good customer loyalty. I believed in the products and really liked helping customers with their fitness needs. Great benefits.

Cons

The company values were very disappointing. They had no loyalty for seniority and did not care how many years you worked for the company as far as status goes. They treated every employee (in the sales department) as though they could easily be replaced. Poor leadership is what made me leave in the long run, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My advice to management is: If you want to break away from creating a "hostile environment" (in the sales floor), you need to stop routing calls to your favorite employees. The hostility will not stop until everyone has a fair chance on the sales floor. For those few employees who are not skilled in sales, place them on Performance Plans and move on. Simple as that! This is coming from someone who was one of your Top performers and number 1 in sales for many years. Had all the sales calls been routed fairly, I would not have had to voice my discontentment and things might have turned out differently for me and many of your other Top performers whom expressed the same concerns and ultimately left the company. Listen and learn from this that is if you care anything about the future of your company.

keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun, busy work. Great co-workers, nice work environment, great CEO, Decent benefits. Very flexible schedule in my department. Paid holidays were nice.

Cons

Upper management in my department was not at all personable or approachable. They like to take the credit for the work others did. Pushed their "dirty" work on to others. Right hand does not know what the left is doing. Conflicting information given depending on who you asked. Too many switching of positions without talking to those affected by the changes. Don't like it? Too bad so sad attitude.

Get your act together, get off the power trip and start being nice to those who are under you. This would be a great company- but a few bad apples do spoil the bunch.

Don't jump into murky water...thoroughly check it out before you launch into it!

Former Employee - Customer Care Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Care Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

Nautilus has a very nice, clean, well-kept work location. It's convenient and is in a great community; with great access because it's close to nice neighborhoods, schools, shopping, etc. There is a sense of pride that comes from working in that location because like the other reviewer wrote, I challenge any employee to drive pass the impressive flagged entry and not say, "I work there!"

There is a wonderful free gym with all the latest equipment and beautiful outdoor facilities such as the artificial turf football and softball fields and basketball courts. They used to subsidize personal training expenses but personal trainers are no longer available.

The benefits seemed competitive. The employee discount on product is quite generous (typically better than 50% off MSRP).

They used to have an onsite employee cafeteria but I've heard it's closed.

Several individual managers do seem to genuinely care about their employees and are great to work for. Some are loyal, trusting and fun. I had the opportunity to work with a lot of great people over the years.

There is a lot to learn. It is a fast-paced environment and it was never boring. I was challenged and I felt that my contributions made a difference in many ways.

Cons

The company has been losing money for some time now and continues to make cuts to decrease expenses. Employees are constantly asked to do more for same compensation, while senior management typically beef up their wallets and provide no real unified direction. At one time, I could fault them for trying to be too many things, to too many people, but now it's hard to tell what they want to be.

The Oracle JD Edwards computer system they migrated to a couple of years ago is not user-friendly and while is robust for other company needs, it fails on many levels for delivering customer service. It is very inefficient and cumbersome and is not adequately supported by the IT dept. It takes minutes to deliver service to customers that should take seconds. Customer service is generally an after-thought and the company has historically focused more on the top-line sales which is what put them into this financial crunch.

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing despite an overabundance of meetings. Meetings may have outcomes or action items, but they are not well communicated or followed through upon in a timely manner. Overall, the company is very poor at communication. Employees rely on email communication and tend to copy everyone-and-their-brother for cya purposes so email is out of control.

Not all call center employees are bad, some are great, but it's more of an atmosphere where a few bad apples spoil the bunch -- too many of them are sleeping with each other and gossiping rather than focusing on work. Since call center calls are recorded, they avoid being caught by rampant and inappropriate communication via a company resource: Microsoft Communicator instant messaging. Many are young, uneducated, and professionally and emotionally immature. Starting wage is about $11/hour, and it doesn't attract enough qualified, educated candidates.

The split to individual channels causes disfunction, inefficiencies and lack of cooperation between departments. The business is disjointed now and people are constantly looking over their shoulder. Senior management is secretive and there is a general distrust in the air. Employee morale is atrocious.

There have been opportunities to advance but perhaps are a bit pawn-like, especially with all the business changes, so sometimes one is subject to where management wants to place you next. Just be sure they don't over-promise and under-deliver. If you can't get it in writing, then don't trust that it will happen. There is little succession planning and based on the on-going changes, it would be hard to lay out a definitive career path. There are possible long-term opportunities if company completes turnaround, but one would have to be particular about where one wants to be long-term and be very patient.

There is little to no brand management which is too deplorable considering they have some of most widely-recognized brands.

There is too little focus on Quality. If they shored up some of the quality issues, then there would be less warranty claims and returns. Taking products too quickly too market and not adequately field testing causes these results.

PTO is use it or lose it and does not get paid out when departing employment.

I could go on, but in summary, Nautilus is a perfect business case study. If only someone would figure it out in the short term. Despite its issues, I think long-term, this is a VERY viable company and if I could see them making a comeback with the right leadership, I would work there again.

Be serious about brand management. Get out of the ivory tower and get down in the trenches and listen to what employees and customers are saying. Engage senior management in a unified vision. Share that vision with employees and rebuild trust.

great place to work and learn

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

great place to work and learn

Cons

less salary more work you have to do

They fire people for no reason at all

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay for sales employees

Cons

They have a large turn over of good employees

Keep Good Employees employed- check out why the manager wants to fire an employee