Nautilus

Bruce M. Cazenave

ABUSIVE OPERATIONS SR. MANAGER BEWARE

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome.

Cons

In the Operations department, the management (female) is a bully, abusive, and just an overall awful person. I was set up to fail with zero training (1 day collectively). Unrealistic expectations. Expected to work hours and hours of overtime, despite the time of day (emails in the middle of the night) with NO compensation, in fact I was denied time off saying the weeks of overtime I put in were expected with the job, despite the first month saying it would be considered "equal PTO". I would often receive emails or texts between 10pm-2am, consequences if I did not respond in a timely manner, prior to the work day. HR, little to no help.
    This is not coming from an angle of a disgruntled employee, I have been in the admin working field for 30+ years, I have never encountered a "manager" that is allowed to operate in this manner or to this degree. Her life is her work and therefore expects yours to be as well. Think twice about accepting work in this department, other than the rest of the co-workers here being wonderful. Come to find out, I was the 7-8th person to have this job in less years, what does that tell you?

Although your Operations Manager is a valuable asset to the company, she is a horrible, abusive boss. I thought you had a "bullying" policy in affect? The entire Operations Department has witnessed and is well aware of it. It's only a matter of time before there are legal consequences to her treatment of employees, colleagues, and affiliates. Complaints by all, internally as well as ex. This is a train wreck waiting to happen, again, perhaps you should take a look at how many people have come and gone under her direction in a very short amount of time.

Company isn't doing as well as it use to

Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a strong company back 2001

Cons

It's management need's a lot of work but they hire good people

Nautilus - Where is it headed?

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

Premier company with the best brands in the fitness equipment industry. The Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area is a great place to live. The quality of life and affordability are excellent. Great schools in the area and easy access to the city and outdoor activities.

Cons

Incompetent management. Without question lacking in the ability to formulate a comprehensive company strategy and execute to deliver on its promises to its employees or customers.

There have been far too many company lay-offs when the focus should be on the management team running the organization. Nautilus' issues can simply be solved by cutting costs. You are running out of people to lay-off!

great place to work and learn

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

great place to work and learn

Cons

less salary more work you have to do

They fire people for no reason at all

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay for sales employees

Cons

They have a large turn over of good employees

Keep Good Employees employed- check out why the manager wants to fire an employee

Forewarned is forearmed, right?

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

There is some transitory pride in telling people you work for Nautilus, because it is a nationally-recognized brand. The building is oversized and impressive; just try driving past with a friend from out of town without pointing to the flags and saying "I work there."
    Employees and their spouses have access to the large fitness center on site. In addition to the usual health insurance and 401k type benefits, several local vendors offer small discounts (5-10%) for Nautilus employees. If you want to buy fitness equipment, the employee discount is significant (50-60%). Depending on your department, time off can be flexible.
    Each fresh, new face keeps hope alive that someday the corporate culture can change into something healthy.

Cons

The company as a whole is disorganized and communication is dismal: one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Nobody seems to have (or care about) a grasp of the big picture. Computer systems are haphazard, and departments that should be closely related don't speak to each other.
    The atmosphere continues to be vicious, even a year after the departure of the toxic former CEO. There is still no sense of community or team effort. In some departments, managers focus on what is best for themselves, and don't bother to train, support or teach their reports. Throughout middle management, there is a lot of infighting, backstabbing, namecalling, and use of aggressive and dishonest tactics to elbow out their peers.
    Rolling layoffs and perceived secrecy from above keep everyone on edge.
    In this corporate culture, you can just imagine the chances that your manager has time to recognize your value. (Heaven forbid he/she does, because then you will present a mild threat.)
    On the plus side, if you can call it a plus, you develop thick skin after awhile.

Please sell the company to good, honest people. Attitude comes from the top.

Working at nautilus was cool to work at just very unorganized supervisors that were very discouraging.

Former Employee - Customer Care
    Former Employee - Customer Care

I worked at Nautilus

Pros

Nice activities, work family, hours, training is great. Owner is nice

Cons

Communication with supervisors lack accurate information, everybody wants to be in charge, the leads can be very rude and not helpful

Hire a diverse group of people not just people who kiss your butt and don't do there job as good as someone else.

Leadership is so disconnected; company of mediocres

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, flex-time, community involvement, employee discount on products, good benefits, bonus

Cons

Poor leadership, no career growth, no career growth

Listen to your employees in the trenches... just don't get fooled by the BS fed by the middle mgmt.
    Empower the people who really care - and fire the yes-men... they are hurting you...
    Anyone who opens his mouth is fired - why? Create an environment of healthy information exchange and promote exchange of ideas...

Has potential but it's like going back to High School

I worked at Nautilus full-time

Pros

Overall good company and ok management. A handful of people are very friendly and do their best to encourage an open, fun culture. The work they do in the community is one of their strongest pros.

Cons

It's very much about who you know there. Personal relationships between employees and management was noticeable and discouraging. A good work/life balance is talked about but rarely supported in some departments.

Pay more attention to the relationships management has certain employees and stop rewarding favoritism.

Great commission, but a very hostile environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best commission I ever made was working at Nautilus as a Sales Professional. They did not micro manage you and you can build up your own good customer loyalty. I believed in the products and really liked helping customers with their fitness needs. Great benefits.

Cons

The company values were very disappointing. They had no loyalty for seniority and did not care how many years you worked for the company as far as status goes. They treated every employee (in the sales department) as though they could easily be replaced. Poor leadership is what made me leave in the long run, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My advice to management is: If you want to break away from creating a "hostile environment" (in the sales floor), you need to stop routing calls to your favorite employees. The hostility will not stop until everyone has a fair chance on the sales floor. For those few employees who are not skilled in sales, place them on Performance Plans and move on. Simple as that! This is coming from someone who was one of your Top performers and number 1 in sales for many years. Had all the sales calls been routed fairly, I would not have had to voice my discontentment and things might have turned out differently for me and many of your other Top performers whom expressed the same concerns and ultimately left the company. Listen and learn from this that is if you care anything about the future of your company.