Nautilus

2.8

Nautilus CEO Bruce M. Cazenave
Bruce M. Cazenave

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Leadership is so disconnected; company of mediocres

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Nautilus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, flex-time, community involvement, employee discount on products, good benefits, bonus

Cons

Poor leadership, no career growth, no career growth

Listen to your employees in the trenches... just don't get fooled by the BS fed by the middle mgmt.
    Empower the people who really care - and fire the yes-men... they are hurting you...
    Anyone who opens his mouth is fired - why? Create an environment of healthy information exchange and promote exchange of ideas...

Great commission, but a very hostile environment to work in.

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best commission I ever made was working at Nautilus as a Sales Professional. They did not micro manage you and you can build up your own good customer loyalty. I believed in the products and really liked helping customers with their fitness needs. Great benefits.

Cons

The company values were very disappointing. They had no loyalty for seniority and did not care how many years you worked for the company as far as status goes. They treated every employee (in the sales department) as though they could easily be replaced. Poor leadership is what made me leave in the long run, even though I thoroughly enjoyed my job.

My advice to management is: If you want to break away from creating a "hostile environment" (in the sales floor), you need to stop routing calls to your favorite employees. The hostility will not stop until everyone has a fair chance on the sales floor. For those few employees who are not skilled in sales, place them on Performance Plans and move on. Simple as that! This is coming from someone who was one of your Top performers and number 1 in sales for many years. Had all the sales calls been routed fairly, I would not have had to voice my discontentment and things might have turned out differently for me and many of your other Top performers whom expressed the same concerns and ultimately left the company. Listen and learn from this that is if you care anything about the future of your company.

keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun, busy work. Great co-workers, nice work environment, great CEO, Decent benefits. Very flexible schedule in my department. Paid holidays were nice.

Cons

Upper management in my department was not at all personable or approachable. They like to take the credit for the work others did. Pushed their "dirty" work on to others. Right hand does not know what the left is doing. Conflicting information given depending on who you asked. Too many switching of positions without talking to those affected by the changes. Don't like it? Too bad so sad attitude.

Get your act together, get off the power trip and start being nice to those who are under you. This would be a great company- but a few bad apples do spoil the bunch.

They fire people for no reason at all

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay for sales employees

Cons

They have a large turn over of good employees

Keep Good Employees employed- check out why the manager wants to fire an employee

Company isn't doing as well as it use to

Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Nautilus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a strong company back 2001

Cons

It's management need's a lot of work but they hire good people

Forewarned is forearmed, right?

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

There is some transitory pride in telling people you work for Nautilus, because it is a nationally-recognized brand. The building is oversized and impressive; just try driving past with a friend from out of town without pointing to the flags and saying "I work there."
    Employees and their spouses have access to the large fitness center on site. In addition to the usual health insurance and 401k type benefits, several local vendors offer small discounts (5-10%) for Nautilus employees. If you want to buy fitness equipment, the employee discount is significant (50-60%). Depending on your department, time off can be flexible.
    Each fresh, new face keeps hope alive that someday the corporate culture can change into something healthy.

Cons

The company as a whole is disorganized and communication is dismal: one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Nobody seems to have (or care about) a grasp of the big picture. Computer systems are haphazard, and departments that should be closely related don't speak to each other.
    The atmosphere continues to be vicious, even a year after the departure of the toxic former CEO. There is still no sense of community or team effort. In some departments, managers focus on what is best for themselves, and don't bother to train, support or teach their reports. Throughout middle management, there is a lot of infighting, backstabbing, namecalling, and use of aggressive and dishonest tactics to elbow out their peers.
    Rolling layoffs and perceived secrecy from above keep everyone on edge.
    In this corporate culture, you can just imagine the chances that your manager has time to recognize your value. (Heaven forbid he/she does, because then you will present a mild threat.)
    On the plus side, if you can call it a plus, you develop thick skin after awhile.

Please sell the company to good, honest people. Attitude comes from the top.

Nautilus - Where is it headed?

I have been working at Nautilus

Pros

Premier company with the best brands in the fitness equipment industry. The Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area is a great place to live. The quality of life and affordability are excellent. Great schools in the area and easy access to the city and outdoor activities.

Cons

Incompetent management. Without question lacking in the ability to formulate a comprehensive company strategy and execute to deliver on its promises to its employees or customers.

There have been far too many company lay-offs when the focus should be on the management team running the organization. Nautilus' issues can simply be solved by cutting costs. You are running out of people to lay-off!