Naval Postgraduate School Reviews

Daniel T. Oliver

1. Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Monterey, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, able to influence direction of role, personal passions can influence what projects you work on, very nice people, diverse workplace

Cons

resistance to change, government hurdles and regulations, slow response time

Advice to Management

keep it up! working as an intern or part time is a great experience for college students

Could be great. It is not.

Current Employee - Research Professor in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Research Professor in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, great students, a meeting of cultures between the civilian and the military world.

Cons

A terrible behavior of management towards employees. There is 0 interest in retaining the best people because of "end strength" issues, so work conditions are horrible.

Advice to Management

Look north. See how Silicon Valley treats the best and brightest. Do the same; be the Stanford of military education.

3. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Monterey, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

Great manager, wonderful university culture.

Cons

Internship program is no longer available.

5. Not my first governmenrt rodeo but my first government bull. Nightmare!

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

Monterey is a beautiful location

Cons

They hate independent thinkers and good managers.. They acknowledge bad managers but do nothing. They support bullying. Cowards. They throw you under the bus and break you until you quit. Mass exodus around the corner. Everyday is a battle for what's is right.

Advice to Management

Establish core values NPS wide. Hold employees accountable for those values. Respect, value and support your managers. Stop clear gender bias. Open your eyes to the chaos and insanity and do something. The best always leave because they will be well valued elsewhere. Others stay because they have no values.

Mixed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very secure job and prestigious place to work

Cons

Management is a mess at all levels and across all departments

7. 3 years as an intern at NPS

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seaside, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seaside, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Naval Postgraduate School is a school that is interested in serious research that aids the US Navy in real world applications. Fantastic mentors and interesting research to do.

Cons

Like a lot of large institutions the amount of bureaucracy is over the top. Throw into the mix that the school was under an Investigator General investigation as well as furloughs happened the interns were thrown under the buss and let go even though many were in the middle of degree programs. Then the amount of overhead was increased making it cost prohibitive for researchers to even get short term summer interns.

Advice to Management

Listen to the professors and researchers in their complaints. Without them the institution will lose its best assets and the product (the education given to the military students) will suffer.

Faculty

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time

Pros

Pros - schedule can be flexible, and the work can be interesting. I'm having a hard time thinking of more pros to meet the 20 word minimum here...

Cons

Cons - there are so many these days. It seems that the school is in a downward spiral. Many good people are leaving in frustration. With continued salary and hiring freezes in place NPS is no longer bringing in talented up and comers. Communication is terrible. Political infighting is absurdly prevalent. Travel approval and voucher review can take more than a month. The contracting system is broken. Morale is in the toilet - across departments and throughout the entire campus.

Advice to Management

Please turn this ship around. NPS used to be a great place to work. It's dying before our eyes.

I love my department, but working against bureaucracy to accomplish goals can be draining.

Current Employee - Faculty Associate in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Faculty Associate in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with. I appreciate that they encourage a balance between work and your personal life. You can attend postgraduate level courses toward a further degree for free if you are a full time employee! I have received a large amount of training. There are great health and retirement benefits that are vested after a relatively short time. I am working on programs and research projects that I believe in. My superiors have been very flexible on my scheduling needs.

Cons

Working for a government entity comes with difficulties that the private sector does not always have. Actions do not happen quickly. Your superiors may not have control over your pay or compensations. There are employees who would be let go at any private sector company that seem to just be skating by. It can be difficult on morale.

Advice to Management

The government would do well to put into effect some incentives, and consequences, to put life back into federal employment.

Good in General, but gets old

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot of money so workers can get a lot of good equipment. Most managers or open to a flexible work schedule. You can take classes in a high level educational institution while working.

Cons

Most managers are more concerned with making themselves look good, keeping themselves "out of trouble" and dealing with the bureaucracy that they can't get stuff done. This causes workers to fend for themselves in getting their work done plus taking extra time to support their manager.

Advice to Management

Take time to talk to your staff.

Was a great place to work, but not anymore

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

You get to work with some of the most interesting, dedicated faculty anywhere
    The students are there to work hard and it shows
    The mission is important

Cons

Some of the worst administrative practices I have seen anywhere.
    No strategic plan
    Leadership team is completely disengaged from the day-to-day challenges facing the people actually responsible for delivering the product – education

Advice to Management

Focus on aligning administrative activities to support the faculty and research staff. They are the people directly doing the work that delivers the mission.

RSS Feed </> Embed