www.nps.navy.mil

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.2

Daniel T. Oliver

An okay place to work - motivation and dedication are not rewarded, and slacking is not punished.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are dedicated individuals who put in significant time above and beyond 40 hours a week to make the IT department run.

Cons

There is no means by which to correct those who only commit 40 hours per week and zero productivity other than peer pressure, which most become immune to very quickly.

Changes are needed from the top down to drive ownership and engagement in the staff. A sense of vision for the whole school would be a good first step, and allow each level of management to set the path for their staff.

On the vine,watching us all die

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

A chance to searve my country. Student are fantastic.

Cons

Hard to say much that's not been said here. Hard to imagine but our president doesn't know what a wiki is or that a lot of key school info is displayed on them. Worse, no one on his staff cared to tell him. As one of the supposed key tech schools in the nation, on second thought, our pres should know what the hell a wiki is. Leadership is in a time warp thinking they're order us out of funk and civilian faculty is no differerent from enlisted troops they've spent they're life with. No one seems to know what the hell the provost actually does.

It's too late. Crown jewel of Navy is floating, lifeless, dying.

Run away. Quickly.

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

You can see from other reviews that the students are interesting and fun to work with. The NPS mission is fantastic. Many of the professional colleagues there are also excellent. Any day you can spend working with students or your colleagues is a good day. Otherwise, see below.

Cons

There is a culture of corruption and incompetence in the leadership there that is indescribable. Nobody outside of the organization could believe it. There are rules everywhere about everything, but it appears that just about all of them can be worked around if you know the right people. There is no transparency about anything. The administration is burdensome yet not held accountable for anything. Faculty will be delighted to know that NPS does not guarantee your salary yet they demand that they have the right to restrict your outside professional activities if they wish. Seriously. All universities have issues. We think this one takes the cake. Anybody worth anything is currently looking to go elsewhere. You should too.

Fire yourselves. Start over. The Navy has no business running a University. If the NPS President knows how to run a University, then I want to have command of a ship. We're equally unqualified. NPS can be an absolutely outstanding place to work if it were outsourced to a real University and given real competent leadership. Probably not in my lifetime though.

Navy/NPS Command are gridlocked...:Future is uncertain" says the Magic 8 Ball...

Former Employee - Research Associate in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Monterey, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work....once upon a time. Good benefits.

Cons

Poor, poor, poor communication from the NPS Command staff down the chain. No care or regard for employees like there once was. I was am employee for 9 years and left because of all the indecision and jerking around of my position. Hiring freezes that go on too long - no help from NPS Command on getting tasks accomplished. Roadblocks a-plenty to getting one's work done.

Don't fit people rigidly into categories after-the-fact. Don't tell your employees they are "valued assets" one day (during the furloughs) and then limit their growth or jerk them around in their positions.

Brilliant when working alongside students; however, senior administration remains gridlocked and disconnected.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The student body and mission are truly remarkable. NPS rightfully earns and claims 'world class' status in recognizing the unique and powerful nature of treating students as research partners.

Cons

There remains an enormous layer of unnecessary bureaucracy. These layers stultify communication and encourage infighting.

Reduce admin overhead positions.

Navy doesn't know what it wants from NPS

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great students. Great faculty. Relatively easy to get research funds.

Cons

New DoD regulations are making it very difficult to be both a research university and a military base.

Very little effort towards faculty advancement.

Work Elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love working for DoD; love providing services to military dependents. Always interesting.

Cons

Lack of leadership; very gossipy place to work; some employees overworked while others do nothing..

Take a good look at how things really are. Try to keep employees who perform let those who don't go.

Great working environment!

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School

Pros

Very intelligent coworkers, great funding, and access to resources was amazing!

Cons

Lots of red tape of hoops for getting some things done.

Great learning experience:

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Monterey, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

comfortable environment
    probably most liberal time off policies when it syncs with scheduling.

Cons

Government is slow for everything especially as a school which has even more overhead

Discriminatory Hiring practices.

Former Employee - AD Staff in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - AD Staff in Monterey, CA

I worked at Naval Postgraduate School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great if You are in the "club" no chance of losing your job or pay - it's guaranteed.

Cons

Cut down with no pay if you are not in the "club" at the whim of the Club members - good luck ever getting promoted or advancing - nobody retires You are lucky if they have some debilitating ailment.

Expect lawsuits.