Naval Surface Warfare Center

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Administration Manager

Operations Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsRequired Working hours are too long for the amount of work

ConsPay is great and pensions are great

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend 4 day work week

Decent for starting a career but doesn't offer much afterwards

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Norco, CA

ProsThis place has very good benefits. You have lots of vacation and sick leave available. Also you do get a pension which is becoming a lot less common in industry. Lots of good experience and projects that are available to work on. Job is highly stable and secure. Salary starting to mid-level is pretty decent. Environment tends to be fairly relaxed. Benefit of training under many experience senior engineers. Moving up at this organization is a really good deal if you have the opportunity.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level it is very difficult to get promoted into higher level jobs. Most of the time promotions are based on how chummy you are with management and acceleration often has little to do with performance. Even then acceleration is still fairly slow. It is expected that young employees with drive and skill will work here a few years and then look somewhere else. Here there are a higher percentage of people who take advantage of the system and get away with things they are not supposed to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress all items mentioned in the cons. They bring the organization down. Reward employees more for performance by offering more acceleration. Take better care of your employees because we work hard for you.

Not a place for career development nor direction from management!

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Indian Head, MD

Pros-The pay and benefits are OK.
    -Long nigths and weekend work was not mandated for support/indirect employees.
    -If you can dismiss the busy work you will have free time to do some self-learning.
    -General training offered through Defense Acquisition University and opportunities for further academic development (Corporate Development Education Program and certain Masters Degrees)

Cons-There is very little job specific training to become more proficient in the work you are employed in.
    -Co-workers will discredit your work accomplishments or cast doubt on your character to prevent you from receiving praises.
    -Management pays most of their attention to trouble-maker employees.
    -Technology (computers, information systems, databases) is avoided and not used in a way to facilitate the workforce.
    -Management will not give you feedback as to how you can improve in your current assignment.
    -Management is content with employees doing what they did last year; very little progress and communication on what needs to be done to be better for the future.
    -The work load is decreasing and is sporadic.
    -The work and office facilities are so dilapidated they communicate in a non-verbal way that employees and the work they do is only worthy of an unsightly building.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize that the work environment at NSWC Indian Head is stifling the existing, potential and new talent. Employees from multiple levels of experience and demographic backgrounds are frustrated which leads to two things; resignation or complacency.

The chain-of-command is so focused on getting work done (sometimes busy work) that development and utilization of employees is overlooked, opportunities for improvement are dismissed, and a sub-culture now exists where employees create empires to raise themselves by casting doubt on another employee.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsPeople were very smart in the group I intern with. Everyone knew a lot about naval ships. A lot of the senior people there were very willing to teach and help me. Very cool lab testing area.

ConsComputers and software were really old. Doesn't have the latest computers and software.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess politics

Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsI can't think of any

ConsInefficient HR, rampant nepotism, promotions are based on getting chummy with the right people, not merit

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor management is what's wrong with this command and I highly doubt any of them will be leaving or bettering themselves for the benefit of the command.

Internship opened eyes to level of project management vs research.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlex time is available.
    Travel opportunities.
    Campus is really rather nice with cafeteria.
    Usual government benefits.
    Diversity of age of employees.

ConsMy eyes were opened during my time here to high level of project management in government positions. I was hired to help solve challenging new problems but most of the people I worked with just managed contractors.

NSWC Corona is a great place to work.

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Corona, CA

ProsExcellent starting salary for Engineers. A lot of upward mobility for those interested. Projects are interesting. I love my job.

ConsNo place is perfect. Sometimes it seems management does not have a clue, but that's probably true in many places and maybe just my perception.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your comfort zone and go out and visit your sponsors, see what is changing out there.

Supportive of Career Development and Family Friendly.

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsCareer Development, Supportive Organization, Important Work, Satisfying, Flexible Schedules,

ConsLike any government job, you need to stay on top of people when you need personnel issues taken care of, which is difficult as a new employee if you do not know how to be assertive. Congress and their budget issues effect our yearly standard of living wages, and possibility of furloughs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is supposed to assign in developing plans for individual development of new employees but do not know how to, or do not want to take the time to assist new employees.

Not good place to start career

Electronics Engineer (Current Employee)
    Crane, IN

ProsLike any Federal Jobs, good benefit...

ConsNot much advancement opportunities, inconsistent management, not enough work.

Very mixed bag

Research Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsSome extremely talented and knowledgeable long-timers, interesting technical problems, and feeling of helping the active-duty military. A big plus is that work-life balance is excellent, flex-time and teleworking is encouraged.

ConsSurreal amounts of bureaucracy, complete lack of leadership vision, opaque and overly political promotions and advancement, under-valuing of technical staff as compared to "programmatic" paper-pushers. DoD restrictions on travel, conferences, IT, etc have hit this place hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much, since authority is so widely delegated that nobody as enough power to actually fix the problems that exist. Most importantly, value the customers (ie Navy programs) more than the haphazard drop-down nature of control from NAVSEA.

Worked for Naval Surface Warfare Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Naval Surface Warfare Center reviews and ratings. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Naval Surface Warfare Center employees.