Naval Surface Warfare Center Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
CEO

Pros
  • A big plus is that work-life balance is excellent, flex-time and teleworking is encouraged (in 4 reviews)

• This place has very good benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Big Navy, big government equals red tape (in 2 reviews)

• This is a federal government organization (in 2 reviews)

1. Stagnation

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Indian Head, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I have been working at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule (9/8 with one Friday off during a bi-week) The amount of annual leave and sick leave is good

Cons

If you are a junior electrical engineer, you may find yourself stagnating here. There is very little to no opportunity to learn new skills here -- there is no mentoring for young engineers, senior engineers are too busy in their lead roles and have no time to train new engineers. Few even said they were OK just doing their work and did not even want to train anybody. There is no opportunity to get professional training outside of the base -- at least, in my branch I was told 'No' every time I asked. There are no detail/rotation assignments -- I was told they stopped providing such opportunities to their engineers after many did not return. The amount of bureaucracy and waiting required to purchase anything (not just expensive items but even cheap resistors) are tremendous. Management is poor. In some projects, there are no meetings or clean planning for work ahead (at least, such plans are not communicated). At times, there is very little work available in projects; however, at other times workload is stressful. From talking to others, I know that there were times when there was not enough work for everybody. Despite that the base keeps hiring new engineers to avoid being BRAC-ed and also to replace people who gave up and left for a better job. Also, some projects may require you to work A LOT in a very isolated environment, like a basement room or a building to which almost no other person ever goes. You may feel very physically isolated from the world and start being lonely and sad.

Advice to Management

Train your young engineers -- provide them a mentor, an opportunity to learn new skills, take professional classes or do a detail/rotation assignment. Given them enough work so they do not idle and feel bored. Communicate better -- have regular meetings in projects as well as discussions about their performance and other projects. Invest time and money your new engineers; how else are you going to keep them from quitting? I guess, the other strategy is hoping to retain those engineers who are aiming to become non-ambitious 'lifers' and let everybody else quit?

A roller coaster ride

Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, flex schedule were OK

Cons

Professional Development: This is the wrong place to start if you're a young aspiring engineer looking to pursue a technical path. This place is behind in terms of skills and facilities and you will find it difficult to move forward in your career or find a job elsewhere. There is a big hype for "professional development" but that really means program management, sales training and "how to talk to people". There's no balance between technical and management skills. This place might just end up a base with all managers, all selling empty cans to ONR. Work Environment, Culture and Values: Competition for research funding is rough everywhere but there's a good way and a bad way to compete. I've only seen the bad side here... Most proposals for the programs I've worked on had been written by "technical" leads without consideration for the time, training, and resources available to the poor souls tasked to implement them. Instead, proposals were written with the promise of delivering faster than the competition. Moreover, review panels on existing programs were not all from independent parties. Some programs were so desperate that they even tried to exploit my friendships and professional network. There was also this overwhelming and distressing culture of helping and intervention. If you're dissatisfied with your work one day, all of a sudden everybody will be all over your entire life, not just your work life. There was no respect for personal space. There was this big brotherish sense of "helping". My career is forever marred by the people who "spoke (and still do) on my behalf." I have tried to start over but it seems like any place I go I will always have to deal with an awkward work environment.

Advice to Management

and to senior engineers- You won't boost morale, build good rapport, or gain any respect by just calculating what to say to people based on their interactions with their friends, what hobbies they like, and other nonsense. You can try the power of suggestion and your business psychology tactics all you want, but getting people to listen or follow your lead is as simple as showing that you are working hard and doing your own job with integrity.

Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Inefficient HR, rampant nepotism, promotions are based on getting chummy with the right people, not merit

Advice to Management

Poor management is what's wrong with this command and I highly doubt any of them will be leaving or bettering themselves for the benefit of the command.

Ambitious people need not apply

Current Employee - Engineer in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Panama City, FL

Pros

- Government benefits are well-known to be [currently] pretty solid. - Working more than 40 hours a week is always compensated with time off or overtime pay - Flexible work schedule. - People are generally nice and sociable, almost to a fault. - Can't lose your job no matter how lazy or incompetent you are.

Cons

- Unfair compensation where it will take a recent graduate with a BS 5 years to reach the starting salary of someone starting with 1 year experience. - No opportunity to step-up and lead until you've spent ample time in each grade, no matter how qualified - Ridiculous lag between ideas, funding, and execution results in missed opportunities - Spend more time handling beurocracy, process, and paperwork than doing any beneficial work - Poor communication throughout the organization as to what is happening and what needs to be done. - Takes months to get access to tools (such as MATLAB, AutoCad, multimeters, etc) that should be readily available to all, always

Advice to Management

Provide quick and easy access to tools mandatory for any engineer. Quit following and creating process for the sake of process, and question any requirement that creates more paperwork than results. Provide recognition or incentive for standout employees to work hard and achieve, rather than making them immediately turn to the private sector. Sorry, but pointing out the civic importance of your work is going to convince few highly qualified people to stick this out.

A very bad experience working at NSWC-IH.

Current Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

Pros

Government benefits are pretty good Job security

Cons

Extreme bureaucracy Poorly maintained facilities Very few good scientists, engineers, technicians, & admin personnel Certain Departments/Branches: 1. Bad Engineering/Management/Business Practices 2. No/low funding for research 3. Run some of the most absurd Defense programs 4. Many idle and meddlesome workers 5. Earwigging is commonplace

RSS Feed </> Embed