Naval Surface Warfare Center

Profile Unclaimed

Electronics Engineer

Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Norco, CA
    Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Norco, CA

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Job stability. Pay & Compensation. Supportive of continuous learning to obtain industry standard certifications.

Cons

It's easy for employees to become complacent and it appears that little is/can be done. Policies are not fairly applied throughout the Command.

Provide effective supervisor training.

I learned what technicians do to help electrical engineers hands on!

Former Employee - Electrical Technician in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Electrical Technician in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flex time, relaxed environment sometimes, and nice coworkers

Cons

Expected to work alone most of the time, on projects you may not have experience in.

Train employees more.

Administration Manager

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Required Working hours are too long for the amount of work

Cons

Pay is great and pensions are great

Recommend 4 day work week

Decent for starting a career but doesn't offer much afterwards

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Norco, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Norco, CA

I have been working at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place has very good benefits. You have lots of vacation and sick leave available. Also you do get a pension which is becoming a lot less common in industry. Lots of good experience and projects that are available to work on. Job is highly stable and secure. Salary starting to mid-level is pretty decent. Environment tends to be fairly relaxed. Benefit of training under many experience senior engineers. Moving up at this organization is a really good deal if you have the opportunity.

Cons

Once you reach a certain level it is very difficult to get promoted into higher level jobs. Most of the time promotions are based on how chummy you are with management and acceleration often has little to do with performance. Even then acceleration is still fairly slow. It is expected that young employees with drive and skill will work here a few years and then look somewhere else. Here there are a higher percentage of people who take advantage of the system and get away with things they are not supposed to do.

Address all items mentioned in the cons. They bring the organization down. Reward employees more for performance by offering more acceleration. Take better care of your employees because we work hard for you.

Not a place for career development nor direction from management!

Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The pay and benefits are OK.
    -Long nigths and weekend work was not mandated for support/indirect employees.
    -If you can dismiss the busy work you will have free time to do some self-learning.
    -General training offered through Defense Acquisition University and opportunities for further academic development (Corporate Development Education Program and certain Masters Degrees)

Cons

-There is very little job specific training to become more proficient in the work you are employed in.
    -Co-workers will discredit your work accomplishments or cast doubt on your character to prevent you from receiving praises.
    -Management pays most of their attention to trouble-maker employees.
    -Technology (computers, information systems, databases) is avoided and not used in a way to facilitate the workforce.
    -Management will not give you feedback as to how you can improve in your current assignment.
    -Management is content with employees doing what they did last year; very little progress and communication on what needs to be done to be better for the future.
    -The work load is decreasing and is sporadic.
    -The work and office facilities are so dilapidated they communicate in a non-verbal way that employees and the work they do is only worthy of an unsightly building.

Management needs to realize that the work environment at NSWC Indian Head is stifling the existing, potential and new talent. Employees from multiple levels of experience and demographic backgrounds are frustrated which leads to two things; resignation or complacency.

The chain-of-command is so focused on getting work done (sometimes busy work) that development and utilization of employees is overlooked, opportunities for improvement are dismissed, and a sub-culture now exists where employees create empires to raise themselves by casting doubt on another employee.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People were very smart in the group I intern with. Everyone knew a lot about naval ships. A lot of the senior people there were very willing to teach and help me. Very cool lab testing area.

Cons

Computers and software were really old. Doesn't have the latest computers and software.

Less politics

Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Inefficient HR, rampant nepotism, promotions are based on getting chummy with the right people, not merit

Poor management is what's wrong with this command and I highly doubt any of them will be leaving or bettering themselves for the benefit of the command.

NSWC Corona is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Corona, CA

Pros

Excellent starting salary for Engineers. A lot of upward mobility for those interested. Projects are interesting. I love my job.

Cons

No place is perfect. Sometimes it seems management does not have a clue, but that's probably true in many places and maybe just my perception.

Come out of your comfort zone and go out and visit your sponsors, see what is changing out there.

Supportive of Career Development and Family Friendly.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career Development, Supportive Organization, Important Work, Satisfying, Flexible Schedules,

Cons

Like any government job, you need to stay on top of people when you need personnel issues taken care of, which is difficult as a new employee if you do not know how to be assertive. Congress and their budget issues effect our yearly standard of living wages, and possibility of furloughs.

Management is supposed to assign in developing plans for individual development of new employees but do not know how to, or do not want to take the time to assist new employees.

Internship opened eyes to level of project management vs research.

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center

Pros

Flex time is available.
    Travel opportunities.
    Campus is really rather nice with cafeteria.
    Usual government benefits.
    Diversity of age of employees.

Cons

My eyes were opened during my time here to high level of project management in government positions. I was hired to help solve challenging new problems but most of the people I worked with just managed contractors.