NaviNet
www.navinet.net Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

NaviNet Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Frank Ingari

Pros:
  • "There is a definite understanding of work life balance with liberal work from home and flexible hours"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Lots of flexibility to work from home if necessary- everyone gets a laptop"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is still a dependency on older, legacy code"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The middle management needs some help and refocus on how to talk to each other"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent culture, really smart people, a great CEO, a learning and challenging environment

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsMost roles are flexible, the leadership gives you autonomy, there are many opportunities available. There is a lot to learn, many challenges to be had, and we are always improving.
    The vision / mission of the company is sound and people seem to care.
    I like feeling like I can go out for a beer with most people I work with
    Pizza and Beer Fridays, Lunches, Sporting activities, and great work functions
    I've had training every year I've worked at the company to help myself grow
    I've had a lot of opportunities to try new things and learn where my strengths are

ConsBeing operationally efficient is something that NaviNet still has a lot to improve on.
    We are transitioning I think very effectively from a Professional Services company only to a Product Company and Professional Services company. We still have a lot of people that are project focused, (i.e., there is a short term project with an end date...) without the mindset to be operationally focused for the long term. (i.e., this thing is going to live on for a long time and we have to support its success. There are some folks that are learning how to operate differently and others that will probably need to find something else to do for us to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a lot of time in the market listening and prioritizing with our customers their problems.
    Set a longer term vision
    Set challenging goals
    Ensure there is accountability and follow up

Best team and outstanding technology

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWhat I like most about NaviNet is the outstanding technology that we use here. We have a highly collaborative environment where there are designated individuals for every aspect of the software development process. We use lean method and I mean seriously the real thing, and we have collective ownership to the code/process/documentation. The team is very friendly and highly technical. Can it get better than that?

ConsLarge team and not everyone adhering to the proper standards and practices

Director

Director, Navinet (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWorking within incredibly bright highly motivated colleagues on the future of healthcare collaboration that lowers costs and improves patient outcomes. Quality, innovation, and continuous improvement are part of the cultural fabric at NaviNet.

Hiring standards are very high and every candidate must pass the NaviNet Audition which involves defining a solution based on a set of requirements with several NaviNet Staff. The audition is customized to the type of position (e.g. Software Engineering, User Experience or Product Development). This rigorous interview process insures only best candidates are hired.

NaviNet holds an Off The Grid (OTG) event once a year where work is stopped and the staff forms small teams to work on innovative ideas for two days (hence off the grid). These projects are presented to the company on the third day, judged, and prizes are awarded. Many of these ideas make their way back into the Product Development Life-cycle.

The salary and benefits are competitive and it is hard to beat the location, three blocks from South Station - Boston, MA. In fact, most of the staff at the organization uses public transportation with quite a few cycling in from the surrounding areas. The casual dress and Beer Friday's are icing on the cake.

ConsThere is quite a bit of technical debt that has been accumulated over the years but with the transition from a service organization to a product organization that debt should be easier to refactor. replace or retire.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Boston, MA

ProsWork / life balance, compensation, location, team-oriented environment, benefits

ConsNot for a person who does not embrace a fast-paced environment and does not have the ability or desire to juggle competing priorities. Also, in this competitive market, it's difficult to hire enough engineers.

Great Place to Work

Boston, MA

ProsAll of the added perks raise employee moral. The company promotes creativity. It is a really fun place to work. I feel valued as an employee. The company sponcers many activites outside of the work place where employees and their families can spend time together and have fun. The atmosphere and culture at this company is great. Most people are friendly and willing to help you succeed. While it is a fun place to work, really important and market changing business takes place here. This company is definitely heading in the right direction.

ConsAt this time, I do not have anything negative to share about NaviNet.

NaviNet is in an interesting healthcare niche, but needs improvement in some departments.

Provider Operations (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsNaviNet has created a unique network of providers and health plans to enhance healthcare communication.

Senior management is dedicated to expanding the company and providing growth opportunities to employees.

Benefits and employee events are above average. Two parties including families are held annually and ongoing lunches and social hours reward hard working employees.

Interesting projects are available for software developers.

Long-term system issues are finally being addressed by senior management.

Employee turnover is very low for a software company.

ConsWithout a software background, career advancement is limited in non-engineering departments.

Lower and middle management positions are often filled with friends of managers and rarely offered to internal candidates, who often have years of NaviNet and industry experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue demanding constant process improvements for all departments.

Seek feedback from individual contributors and team leaders in all departments.

Flag Review
    NaviNet Talent Acquisition & Retention Specialist responded to this review May 8, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for contributing this feedback; it's highly valued. Please don't hesitate to reach out to any of your colleagues in HR for support and suggestions on career advancement!

Great Company to work for.

Boston, MA

ProsGreat flexible and comfortable work environment. Very intelligent and personable engineers that I enjoy working with. Great leadership at the very top. The company is now designing software and working with technologies that you want to be working on.

ConsFixing legacy code can be challenging/frustrating but management is supportive and knows it is a problem. Rube Goldberg would be proud of some of the processes that have been put into place in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementNaming standards are not more important than functionality. Security is often put into place that makes it incredibly hard to get anything tested and deployed, and the process around getting access makes a day at the Registry of Motor Vehicles look fun and efficient.

This is not your friend's NaviNet

Director, Navinet (Current Employee)

ProsGreat alignment of strategy to actual work
    Strong senior manager
    Challenging work
    Good work life balance

ConsLots of change still
    Roles not totally clearly defined
    Significant challenges ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going. You've done a great job of shifting the energy and culture. No lead us to execution.

NaviNet has boosted my confidence in what I'm able to do now and capable of in the future.

Boston, MA

ProsSmart, driven, and committed leadership team. Immediately given autonomy and asked for input/ideas on day one. Competitive pay, AWESOME benefits. Monthly company-wide gatherings so all employees know what's happening across all departments. People take breaks all throughout the day to play ping pong. Throughout the holiday seasons, each department did extravagant lunches, dinners, or in-office parties. If you refer someone for a job and they get it, you win $5000. The location is great. Lots of flexibility to work from home if necessary- everyone gets a laptop.

ConsWe're growing really quickly and adding jobs that haven't existed before, which is awesome. The down side to that is trying to figure out what your job is and how to structure your day, goals, etc. At first this was challenging for me but the more I dove in, the more I valued the opportunity to be creative, resourceful, and truly be independently shaping a new position for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's great about a lot of our management team is that most of them have come up through the ranks, so they know what the people at the bottom are going through and how to overcome walls. My advice is to continue developing great performers into great leaders.

Good engineering department. Lots to learn.

(Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI worked at Navinet for a little over 5 years. In retrospect, the time spent there has had a positive effect on my career and my approach to work.

I learned from talented engineers on the teams I worked in. I was able to move across teams from development to architecture in the time I was there. Also got an opportunity to work closely with the perf team and interact regularly with the IT team. The company (or at least my group) cared more about getting stuff done than how many hours I spent at my desk. I felt the tech managers who I worked with cared about my well being as an employee, besides worrying about the bottom line and well being of the company.

Sure there was legacy code and customers who do not want changes, but that was part of the challenge at work. Management itself was not averse to change and moving forward. Successful software technology companies often have to with legacy code. In retrospect I learned more working with the legacy stuff, especially the performance aspect, than pushing code out as part of a feature team. Navinet provided me an opportunity to work on problems of scale. At the same time, they had a small-midsize-company-like approach to engineering.

Wishing the best of luck to my friends at Navinet!

ConsThere were some negatives while I worked there, mentioned in older reviews. From the newer reviews and talking to my ex-colleagues, seems like these issues have mostly been sorted out under the new CTO.

Worked for NaviNet? Contribute to the Community!

NaviNet Videos

NaviNet – Why Work for Us?

NaviNet is proud to be featured on Becker's Hospital Review's 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare! The 2014 Great Places list is a compilation of healthcare organizations that provide excellent work environments and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NaviNet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NaviNet CEO Frank Ingari. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by NaviNet employees.