NaviNet Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
65 reviews filtered by
4.5
Frank Ingari

Pros
  • Work / life balance, compensation, location, team-oriented environment, benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of flexibility to work from home if necessary- everyone gets a laptop (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are changing their business model which means some people may be stuck supporting dead end legacy code until it is finally retired (in 4 reviews)

• The middle management needs some help and refocus on how to talk to each other (in 3 reviews)

1. Great bunch of smart people working hard to make this a great company. Just the right amount of process.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty relaxed and casual atmosphere at work, but people get the job done. Once a year we take off 3 days to come up with a proof of concept or working code for some innovation in the product, this year at least one of the 30 or so projects the employees dreamed up got funded!
    A great CEO now after a long string of so-so's.

Cons

Company has gone through a couple downsizings/reorganizations and then a restructuring that forced us to sell our stock options. But the company did turn a corner with all that.
    Quite a lot of legacy code still hanging around.

Advice to Management

How about stock options for other than the top executives?

2. Great company, inspiring leadership, some growing pains

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very energized about what the future holds and I think they do a good job of rallying the troops. There are monthly company-wide meetings where the execs and other leaders talk about what's being achieved, which helps each part of the organization stay connected and aware of how we're all contributing to the bigger picture. The message makes you feel like you're "in it together." Leaders are very human- they value work/life balance and are accessible and approachable. There's a lot of work- it's a lean organization so everyone carries a heavy load. If you're good at balancing and prioritizing and want to see your work's impact fast- this is a great and very fulfilling place to be. You're almost never the smartest person in the room which means there's constant opportunity to learn and grow (growth isn't always in the form of title.)

Cons

There's a lot of change happening- some of it's fast, some of it's slow. You have to be versatile and willing to put the team first to make it work and not everyone is committed to this. Leaders are really good at lifting up their own organizations but they could improve going to bat for their colleagues' teams.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key. We're smart people- the more we know and understand why we're going in a certain direction, the more engaged and committed we are to reaching the goal.

3. Enjoying my time at NaviNet

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits and compensation here can be above average. The paternity/adoption leave is a huge plus and rather unique among the players in this space. The company clearly cares about its employees - the leadership team knows that they need to attract and retain top talent as NaviNet reshapes itself and its offerings. The culture is great - the newer folks bring a fun energy to the office and most of the veterans are very knowledgeable and clearly industry pros willing to share their experience with others.

Cons

Many new hires don't have strong healthcare expertise/background and come from other industries (financial, etc.). You often have to bring people up to speed on basic healthcare industry information (how things are done, why, etc.) in order to have a meaningful conversation. A handful of veteran employees are clinging to politics, the old ways of doing things, and resisting the evolution necessary to take NaviNet to the next level. There are management changes and shuffling of people a bit more often than I'd like to see. An employee's career path/growth opportunities once inside NaviNet can be unclear.

5. Great place to work!

I have been working at NaviNet

Pros

Many opportunities to take part in different types of training (leadership, professional).
    Great culture! True team environment, everyone willing to pitch in and share knowledge.
    Flexible schedule as needed as long as work gets done.
    Pizza Fridays, Birthday cupcakes :).

Cons

Vacation - Can carry over 40 hours to the next year, everything else is use it or loose it.

6. Dynamic, growing organization on the cusp of great things

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*Committed and dedicated workforce
    *Approachable and accountable leadership
    *Ambitious plan for growth

Cons

*Some resistance to change among the old guard

A really amazing experience

Former Intern - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at NaviNet as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are so many great people in every part of this company, willing to help anyone at all with whatever problem they might have. Have a question, just ask it! Great location, a 5 minute walk from South Station. Every other Friday is pizza Friday!

Cons

I think it's important for as many people as possible to know what's happening in the company in general, but even with monthly company-wide meetings but most departments seem to be segmented and work separately.

8. Believing in the vision and mission

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, vision, and mission of the company is amazing. I feel privileged to be part of something that is changing the health care industry in a positive way. At the end of the day I truly feel like I am helping sick patients by facilitating better communication between payers and providers. Hard work is recognized and opportunities are provided based on your hard work and attitude. People are generally nice and smart but still willing to challenge one another resulting in high performance.

Cons

As this company transitions from a professional service company to a product and professional service company, growing pains are felt and to be expected. New lines are being drawn and it is not easy to clearly identify who is responsible for what.

Advice to Management

Require a sufficient amount of research to be conducted before giving the green light. Not enough market research into what the providers and payers need/want is being conducted.

9. A very pleasant interview experience and a great first month!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They were very communicative about the process to interview, set it up at opportune times especially since I was not really looking so didn't want my current place to know. Still, after going through it and the interview I felt it was a really great place and took the job!

People were helpful and the work is well structured and well documented, I have never seen a company with so many wiki pages.

Cons

About the only con I can think of is there can be too many pizza lunches (as if!)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the communication!

10. Awesome experience!

I have been working at NaviNet (less than a year)

Pros

There are so many things wonderful about NaviNet. The company has a great corporate culture and sense of community. Everyone works hard and helps each other to get things done. Plenty of opportunities to jump into projects you're interested in. There is also a lot of food. Pizza Fridays, Beer Fridays, Monthly Cupcakes, and ice cream socials. There's also an employee-run group focused on charity which is great to be a part of.

Cons

I definitely think having a standard for making sure new hires get up to speed on what NaviNet actually is and does would be great. Communication can also be an issue, but usually people I talk to are always willing to make time.

Advice to Management

Everything is pretty great so far.

11. work here! get the net - net below.

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

walk from the T, or park your car, plop right down in a comfy chair and attend a town hall meeting in the laid back lounge setting, and submit a question (or two), nominate a coworker, have an idea? there is open door management, pizza Friday after a long week, summer outings, training sessions, webinars, benefits to keep your teeth aligned, massages, (ping pong, too, people!), corporate recess, heck no, don't trek through the snow, work from home, and pick from a pile of vacation days!

Cons

I cannot think of a single reason why you wouldn't want to set your alarm, rise and shine, and go to work at NaviNet.

Advice to Management

ping pong tournament