NaviNet

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
4.5

Frank Ingari

Pros
  • Work / life balance, compensation, location, team-oriented environment, benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of flexibility to work from home if necessary- everyone gets a laptop (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are changing their business model which means some people may be stuck supporting dead end legacy code until it is finally retired (in 4 reviews)

• The middle management needs some help and refocus on how to talk to each other (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NaviNet is a great place to work. I am allowed to work remotely, and most importantly people are treated with respect. Great work/life balance!

Cons

I cannot think of even one con.

Keep up the good work!

Company is trying - so let them

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NaviNet is the new company to come out of NaviMedix. I never worked for NaviMedix so my review is based on current mood and culture.

That being said, the company is a great place to work. They are also trying to improve.

The company had a moment where it needed to change to stay successful. This change was a good thing. They are moving into a product to sell corporation instead of a solution to sell.. there is a difference. With Products and API model they have more breathing room. Easier ways to move up and grow. Majority of the people who work for NaviNet (old and new) get this.

I have never seen a company that is in such a flux state of change and still keep an excellent work/life balance. The company provides free food, cheap beverages, weekly socials with beer. Large socials with themes and excellent corporate parties. All while trying to change the business model of why they are in business. NaviNet management deserves a lot of credit for that.

As I see it, the majority of people who work for NaviNet are happy. Those who are new to the company are amazed by the culture. Those who do complain tend to have been at the company for so many years that they dont really understand how good they have it.

Location is near major public transportation stops. Great location for walking in downtown Boston, you have Chinatown across the street and Downtown Crossing a few blocks away.

Give the company a chance with the idea that its in the middle of change and needs to get there. In the process they are not changing the culture of how they got to where they are. This is rare in any business field.

Cons

The biggest issue has to be communication of all the departments to each other on how they are going to get "there". I personally believe the upper management is aware of this issue and are working on it. They have new Town Meetings for all employees on the strategies thats currently being used across the divisions. What are the different departments are doing for customers and the company.

The middle management needs some help and refocus on how to talk to each other. So many of the managers have been there so long, they know only how to work in a silo of their department. This is not a negative, but a point that needs reflection.

Growth internally is hard. Many of the employees are typically in close or near close positions that they started. However shifting around departments has been done often and is encouraged. Going from QA to Engineering, manager to back to department head. It has happened. Also people tend to stay where they are, so if you are looking to climb a ladder, this is not the place for you.

Much of the technology they are leveraging with their customers is end of life or simply out dated. The company knows this. They are working to move away, but they are not willing to upset customers to do so. The company does need to figure out when its going to cut ties on customers that are leveraging technology that is no longer viable. Growth, adapt, upgrade or leave.

Involve more communication of what the different teams inside NaviNet are doing. Not just sales and products but internal groups as well. What is IT doing with migrations and growth. What is documentation dept doing over the next year.

Free up more funds for the internal groups for internal projects. As the company grows you are need to make sure you internal groups grow with it. They need to keep up as much as the development and sales force.

I have a great job

Current Employee - Software Developer Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am very happy with what I am doing right now, working closely sith the other dev resources in the company, and doing a bit of dev lead is gratifying. I have a really good team to work with. The company's leadership training is almost over, but it will pay off, I think that it combined with my NN experience, which is growing, are going to make me a better dev lead.

Cons

I have no specific downsides

Exciting challenge at every turn!

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO, most passionate and intelligent employees I've ever worked with, and a combination of interesting work and an appreciation for work-life balance. I have seen a number of colleagues receive promotions over the years and I appreciate the opportunities given to internal staff.

Cons

Going through changes and the whole company isn't quite there yet - some employees still focused on the NaviNet of the past.

Continue to engage employees throughout the organization to leverage everyone's strengths!

Mixed review - Some managers are effective, others highly INEFFECTIVE

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress, Beer Friday, Engineering

Cons

Way too much politics, way too much favoritism, work-life balance exists for some..not all..lack of consistency or clear vision. Priorities shift almost daily...Great exaggeration of size of network..it is not America's largest health care network! Surprised company has not been called out on this. Archaic software...company website is atrocious. Company spends money recklessly. Bullying is still allowed..and still has not been rooted out in years.

Look under the hood and address the problems. Stop living in denial.

Fairly easy tech screen and basic programming questions

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress Code
    Beer Fridays
    Free Pizzza

Cons

Micromanagment
    Management
    Having to submit 3 tickets just to get access to a machine.
    Current software is a complete disaster
    Too many hoops to jump through just to get something simple done
    No training

Get rid of middle management, make it easier for developers to gain access to needs. It is impossible to finish a task when you are still waiting on permissions. Too many hoops to jump through via ticketing system just to get something done within the company. Current version of software is a spaghetti duct tape mess. I hope their new version is scalable.

Technology Is Obsolete and Temperamental

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at NaviNet (less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location
    Company tries to promote espirit de corps with end-of-week beer and pizza
    Some of the technical staff are bright and talented

Cons

Managers have too many priorities, many are conflicting
    Bullying is permitted
    Way too many meetings and most of those are unproductive
    Technology is patchwork, difficult to troubleshoot or unit test

Put more emphasis on training and retention and less on recruitment

One of the best places to work in Healthcare IT

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at NaviNet is outstanding. Relaxed work environment - casual dress, free coffee/pizza etc. There is a definite understanding of work life balance with liberal work from home and flexible hours.

The vision of the company is aligning well with the future of the healthcare industry.

Cons

There is still a bit of a "start up" mentality in the organization but it has been recognized. Senior management is supportive of working towards a more standardized organization but it takes time.

Entry Level Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at NaviNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pizza Fridays, casual dress code, friendly coworkers, new senior management seems focused and innovative

Cons

Prior to new management team:
    Frequent reorganization of departments as if company is still undecided on its internal structure
    Company tends to adopt on-trend management strategies then abandon them before they've had time to work

Great Company, Culture and Direction - A Refreshing Change of Pace!

Current Employee - Director, Navinet in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director, Navinet in Boston, MA

I have been working at NaviNet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Helpful colleagues with a supportive culture
    - Fantastic direction from senior leadership
    - Excellent work/life balance
    - Casual working environment

Cons

- They feed you too much! :)