NaviSite Reviews

NaviSite President & CEO Brooks Borcherding
Brooks Borcherding

1. Great Technology

I have been working at NaviSite full-time

Pros

Cutting edge technology Tons of support - engineering, etc Very helpful staff Clearly defined objectives Annual Quota

Cons

Owned by Time Warner Cable Time Warner is becoming more involved in the day - to - day, where previously they were very hands off Time Warner is being consumed by Carter Cable, and our future is uncertain. Uncertainty creates risk. Very difficult to get / offer any discounts to win deals.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep the tight-wads at Time Warner away from the sales folks. Allow us to get aggressive to win business, and provide better training.

Frozen & Fractured, No strategic Investment, Lots of Blame

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and fantastic benefits through TWC. Over the long haul, NaviSite has also been fairly receptive to internal moves / promotions, so there's not a huge barrier to moving into a new area if you can prove that you're ready to move into that new position.

Cons

1. We are perennially understaffed, and we're not allowed to fire underperformers. (If you fire you may not get to replace, so a person has to actively be a DRAG on the team to make it 'worth' firing them). I know hosting is a commodity business, but customers leave because of outages and stupid mistakes, but we don't hire new / better people. It's looking through the wrong end of the equation - we aren't profitable enough to hire, but we won't get more profitable if we can't keep our customers happy, and a huge factor in that is having enough quality team members. 2. There is a pervasive culture of blame. We've always run lean and mean and sold stuff that was new or under-productized, but if we hit road bumps, management supported us guys in the trenches who worked our butts off to fix a situation. Now our only reward for hard work and going overboard is being yelled at for mistakes that others make, and literally treated like punch clocking hourly employees. (Seriously. Like "you were idle on Lync for 90 minutes. Where were you?" No consideration that you worked 36 hours over the weekend). 3. We're fractured/ split up to report to different sections of TWC, but then no one CEO or person can arbitrate disputes between the groups. So it becomes fiefdoms and NO ONE has any incentive to work together to solve large issues (see #2, culture of blame). It becomes so tiring to see huge issues that need to be solved organizationally but the various departments won't work together, and whoever's left holding the bag at the end of that large, dispersed organization issue gets all the blame and yelling.

Advice to Management

Trust your line managers. Treat employees based on their results, not on time in front of a keyboard. Fire incompetent engineers and guarantee the manager they can rehire someone decent. Say thank you when we work all weekend to fix some other department's stupid mess up.

3. IT

Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home great technologies decent benefits

Cons

no advancements boring work environments

Advice to Management

promote talent from within

5. Good place, on the change and grow

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company, decent pay, lots of prospects. Synergies with parent company are improving. Good product line, most solutions are winners. Parent company has tons of reps who want to help sell your product.

Cons

A small part of a big cable company, so sometimes there are issues there. Not sure what else, every company has their bumps and warts. No stock plan, ESOP, or whatever.

6. Stable yet frustrating

I have been working at NaviSite full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits package is one of the best in the area, and job security is very high.

Cons

There is a lack of focus and vision for the product set. The company culture does not support forward-thinking; anyone "rocking the boat" will be ignored or labeled. The company keeps very low requirements for hiring, yet will rarely let anyone go - thus there are many people who are are underqualified for their positions, and many get rewarded with promotions and corner offices just for time served.

Advice to Management

Welcome new ideas to breathe life back into the company. Continuing along with the same old processes and approaches to problem-solving just because "that's the way we've always done it" is a bunk excuse. It didn't work well before, it's not working now, and there's always a better way if you're open to finding it.

7. Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good set of cloud products and application management services.

Cons

Ultimately working for a cable company and very tough to get things done internally for customers/prospects

Advice to Management

Focus on implementing products fully and leveraging complete functionality and giving sales the tools to compete in the market better

8. SQL DBA

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

scope to learn new technologies worf from home

Cons

below par pay no career advancement

Advice to Management

treat employees well

9. Poor management

I worked at NaviSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work from home 2x/week

Cons

Minimal or no raises, minor bonus

Advice to Management

Investment is key in tech

10. Rewarding

Current Employee - Datacenter Technician in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Datacenter Technician in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities to moved up.

Cons

Long process to get hired on

Advice to Management

Speed up the hiring process.

11. Great people with solid work ethics

Former Employee - Network Operations Manager in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Network Operations Manager in Andover, MA

I worked at NaviSite full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rewarding career, good people to work with, fast paced environment

Cons

Employees typically overworked, not enough structure

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to your employees

RSS Feed </> Embed