NaviSite Reviews

Brooks Borcherding

Frozen & Fractured, No strategic Investment, Lots of Blame

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and fantastic benefits through TWC. Over the long haul, NaviSite has also been fairly receptive to internal moves / promotions, so there's not a huge barrier to moving into a new area if you can prove that you're ready to move into that new position.

Cons

1. We are perennially understaffed, and we're not allowed to fire underperformers. (If you fire you may not get to replace, so a person has to actively be a DRAG on the team to make it 'worth' firing them). I know hosting is a commodity business, but customers leave because of outages and stupid mistakes, but we don't hire new / better people. It's looking through the wrong end of the equation - we aren't profitable enough to hire, but we won't get more profitable if we can't keep our customers happy, and a huge factor in that is having enough quality team members. 2. There is a pervasive culture of blame. We've always run lean and mean and sold stuff that was new or under-productized, but if we hit road bumps, management supported us guys in the trenches who worked our butts off to fix a situation. Now our only reward for hard work and going overboard is being yelled at for mistakes that others make, and literally treated like punch clocking hourly employees. (Seriously. Like "you were idle on Lync for 90 minutes. Where were you?" No consideration that you worked 36 hours over the weekend). 3. We're fractured/ split up to report to different sections of TWC, but then no one CEO or person can arbitrate disputes between the groups. So it becomes fiefdoms and NO ONE has any incentive to work together to solve large issues (see #2, culture of blame). It becomes so tiring to see huge issues that need to be solved organizationally but the various departments won't work together, and whoever's left holding the bag at the end of that large, dispersed organization issue gets all the blame and yelling.

Advice to Management

Trust your line managers. Treat employees based on their results, not on time in front of a keyboard. Fire incompetent engineers and guarantee the manager they can rehire someone decent. Say thank you when we work all weekend to fix some other department's stupid mess up.

2. Poor management

I worked at NaviSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work from home 2x/week

Cons

Minimal or no raises, minor bonus

Advice to Management

Investment is key in tech

No training to keep you current

Former Employee - Oracle Client Manager in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Oracle Client Manager in North Andover, MA

I worked at NaviSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home 2x /week

Cons

Cheap, don't invest in employees to keep skills current

Correction in direction need

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Andover, MA

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure technologies from the latest to decade old vendor unsupported.

Cons

Lack of direction due to inexperience of some the key decision makers.

Advice to Management

Get qualified technical mid level management.

Does not pay market salaries, need to fight to get the right salary up front.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible work at home, stable list of clients. Have to be self motivator,

Cons

Salary levels are below market, looking for Time Warner to change this.

Advice to Management

Fix the sales team, they are very weak. Cant sell a deal without having client facing teams holding their hands. Start to clean out the management tier from Surebridge, they form too tight a club, which prevents growth of talent. Put some decent management in India, current management is poor and does not know how to retain talent.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The office floor was always quiet.

Cons

I worked in the Santa Clara office briefly after my company was acquired. Many of the florescent lights kept flickering or were off completely. My cube was on the 2nd floor over their computer room on the 1st floor and the floor vibrated constantly. I inquired with the maintenance guy there, but nothing got done about any of this. My fellow employees all seemed down all the time. I found it little depressing. I never saw much organization there or vision from the top. They just seemed to have scattered projects without one vision or identity. The management structure also seemed unclear. My team's manager had about 5 people above him and even he said he was unclear who reported to whom. Based on what I was told, they bought my old company because we had one super-customer whose business they wanted. Shortly after Navisite bought my company, they lost this customer. Rather than keeping us all to work on other projects, they laid us all off. Then, they tried to hire me back on contract (and at least one other coworker I know of), but without benefits and at the same salary (and the contract would only be for a certain period, like a few months, and then would have to be renewed).

Advice to Management

My advice to Navisite management is to become more organized and communicate a clear vision to the employees. Also, get those florescent lights fixed in the Santa Clara office.

"Think Twice before you join"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

8 hours Shift could be a joining factor

Cons

pathetic cab system worst & lazy HR's (there are no skills in them apart from from excellent comm skills) women centric managers Diplomat directors No employee attrition policy No new customers and will turn a backend office or bpo after 5 years No Appraisals ON Calls allowances are very less

Advice to Management

Should change and hire some strong and proficient Managers... Admin and facilities team should be replaced Bring some good third party vendors for finance management instead of prolect Cafeterias should have food facility with some vendors present there Four vendors for transport system should be replaced with some one nice vendor which should spare cabs in case of emergency

Good to start but not satisfactory (Roles and responsibilities are not defined)

Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at NaviSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

8 hrs shift.. Good transport HR is helpful

Cons

Poor management Politics No team work Monotonous work routine No roles and responsibilities defined. Forced to do all the work with minimum support even if you dont know anything about it. Though there are few ok senior managers but again they are not bothered about the employees issues within the team and work. undue pressure of work by the team manager and biasness among the team members making it hard to work with as a team.

Advice to Management

Please start more and frequent trainings for the management guys.. They seriously need it.

10. Nothing much to say other than "OK'

Pros

Fair platform to enhance own skills and move on. People around is good.

Cons

For India office : Less compensations and benefits, Weak administration, One cannot get much motivation and inspiration from the Mgmt side.

Infrastructure Mgmt in India is incapable and very highly paised as per India Salary Norms.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Management in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Management in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

Good peolpe in US counter part and very helpful.. US mgmt is cooperative

Cons

The Indian Mgmt(Infrastructure ) and India Head is like a dictator and very little technical knowledge but good speaker. Many time different people complaint about the behavior of the mgmt but it is somehow suppress by mgmt at Andover and iteration rate high nearly more than 40%. They never retain any employee

Advice to Management

Please do something to help India employes (Infrastructure)

RSS Feed </> Embed