Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting Reviews in Boston, MA

3.2

Navigant Consulting Chairman and CEO Julie M. Howard
Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Energy practice leadership is keenly aware of work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• you got the chance to work with smart people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best places to launch a career, hard place to gain upward mobility...

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great client exposure, ability to take on as much responsibility as possible, large company benefits with small company feel...

Cons

Not a place where a hard working, talented young professional can move up at an appropriate pace. Compensation is at the bottom for top tier consulting firms...

Identify and promote young talent faster...

Inconsistent management and narrowly defined verticals

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've stayed at Navigant much longer than I should have because I love my coworkers. Hands down, they are the best. Smart, highly qualified, and passionate about the work (we're in the energy practice.)

Cons

However, it doesn't matter that I have wonderful, smart, coworkers. The majority of the work is large government contracts, which is repetitive and mind numbing on a good day. There are some offices that have a better mix of contracts (not all government work) but that is the minority in Navigant Energy. How quickly you move up also depends on who you work for. I've seen people in other parts of the practice get promoted year after year, while other managing directors seem to believe in a tenure track system wherein they will not consider promoting their staff until 3-4 years have passed at one level.

Reward your staff for being the overachieving ambitious workers that they are, and be consistent about it across the company. I know you're talking about consistency, but we have yet to see it filter down to the bottom of the totem pole.
    Get out there and get us more work to do than these giant 3-5 year government contracts of rote work. You hire the best, from top institutions, why give us such unimaginative assignments?

Sink or swim, it is all up to you as they do not have good co-ordinated approach to selling and client service.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Very competent senior managers and directors

Cons

- poor integration
    - little useful training
    - limited mentorship from senior staff
    - limited cooperation to sell work and serve clients

Change incentive scheme to encourage a "one firm" approach to winning work, developing staff and serving clients

We're not strategy consultants - don't be fooled. Want a job? Consider the Big 4 accounting firms before you come here.

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

The people are the best selling factor, hands down. Since the company hires young right out of college new hires, a lot of the people you work with are people just like you.

Cons

The turnover is ridiculously high, which also plays into the amount of young new hires. Also sometimes it feels like there's no senior management because everyone is so young. There's definitely a generation gap (30's - mid 40's). We have no sense of direction or strategy. No one knows where we're going or even how to get there. This message is just convoluted across all levels within the company. Particularly in down economies is when we're supposed to sell the most work, but in reality, we're just going through layoffs with poor disclosure.

Sell more work. Be clear to your co-workers about our economic situation.

Navigant Consulting Photos