Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Navigant Consulting Director, President & CEO Julie M. Howard

Julie M. Howard

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work-life balance, all employees are bonus eligible(in 21 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment across offices(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting job, at time it can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Long hours expected and appreciation for sacrifices not readily acknowledged(in 10 reviews)

Worst company I've ever worked

Director (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked at five companies throughout my career and this is hands down the worst of them.

ConsFalse promises from management
    Did not deliver on anything promised when joining
    Terrible management with no mentorship
    Work was incredibly uninteresting
    Bonuses were a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't flat out lie to people about what they will be doing and don't tell people the bonus percentages are targeted at 20%, then tell someone they are in top 3 people at their position and give them a 5% bonus, it's insulting.

Keep yourself busy

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent work life balance, room for growth

ConsCompensation is not great, leadership organization is constantly changing, emphasis on utilization

Advice to Senior Managementlook at why people stay and work on keeping that in place, in addition to focusing on why people leave and fixing those issues

Lots of promises very little follow through

ProsNice people with flexible schedules. If you need to take a day off its not too difficult. Lots of free food to be found.

ConsNot alot of opportunities for administration to advancement. Pays alot less than industry standard. You can find yourself doing work above your paygrade and being taken advantage of.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for administrative staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't spend too long here.

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get a lot of responsibility early on and have the chance to interface directly with clients. The projects can be used as a resume builder.

ConsThe culture is not great. Internal politics are difficult to manage through. Work is not intellectually stimulating or challenging. Your success may be tied to who your arbitrarily assigned mentor is and the director that you most frequently work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore group inclusion. Improve office and group culture. Better projects. Manage staffing better.

Career opportunity tends to be linked to the sub-group you work for

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork flexibility. You may be able to work as a remote employee.
    Decent compensation

ConsNavigant is not the typical consulting firm. I would not recommend it to junior/ mid-management consultants with no sales responsibility. Navigant doesn't have a good development program/ path for its consultants. It is very difficult to ascend through the ranks. Most of its senior employees come from other companies. Navigant has a bunch of experienced consultants close to retirement and as such are only interested to sell a couple of projects that would keep them busy and billable. The work doesn't flow to the junior consultants. What worsens the situation is that everybody is responsible for its own utilization and to provide yourself your projects. Consultants are not part of big pools where you can be called upon to work in diverse projects based on your skills.
    It works more like little groups within a practice. You get to work most of the time with the manager who hired you. If that manager resigns to Navigant you better follow him because your career is over. It would be very difficult to get projects and the situation is worsened since you have to look around and knock lots of doors only to realize that those sub-groups will not let you in.

Bottom line if you are an expert close to retirement, Navigant is the place to be.

Great Experience and a Great Team

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe staff on the team are awesome to work with. Very dedicated and committed to the process. Great customers.

ConsWork Life Balance is difficult when traveling

Do not work here

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you are desperate to get into consulting, then take a job here

ConsThere is absolutely no consideration for nights, weekends, vacations. You are literally expected to be a slave. The attitude is that you should just be happy to even have a job. There is also no upward mobility. The leadership is unimpressive and uninspiring. The work is boring and monotonous. Its not really a consulting company, more of a temp agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees.

Consulting excellence

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmentorship, leadership, opportunities are endless

Conscon - non traditional consulting model

Great Junior People, Silos, Lack of Accountability

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people at the junior level, some amazing Associate Directors and Directors as well. Very interesting and engaging work. Some nice perks, good work-life balance. Never felt over-worked. Life is great if you have a good MD.

ConsNon-competitive benefits package. Projects and skills poorly matched. Very specialized practices and lack of diversity in projects assigned. Each sub-practice is its own siloed territory, guarded fiercely in some cases by MD warlords.

Had some AD's who would work remotely basically everyday, and junior staff would get blamed for ensuing chaos. Limited room for professional growth and development within smaller, more top-heavy siloes. Great/smart/talented people at all levels, mixed in with some incompetent people at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure project managers actually show up to work. Consulting is unstructured by nature, but that shouldn't be because of the managers. Have more inter-practice collaboration and consistency throughout.

Not a bad place to start your career.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey put an emphasis on training. A massive emphasis on client first, which is understandable in consulting. Many young workers that like to socialize with each other, so the people you work with are very friendly, as well as knowledgeable. The people that work here tend to have incredible knowledge about the subjects that they are working on.

ConsSome practices are so small that you are around the same people working on the same projects all the time, which would be fine if there was a better work/ life balance. The work life balance is not good most of the time, but I think this varies greatly between practices within the company. You can get stuck on the same project for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithin certain practices, there is a large problem with micromanaging workers and projects. It gets to the point where we spend more time checking in than working on our client deliverables. Provide more opportunities to work on different projects or with different practices.

Worked for Navigant Consulting? Contribute to the Community!